Question for somewhat beginning boater.

Bought a 95 Bumble Bee ProVee 180 with Fast Strike 175. What is the oil/gas ratio when filling up? I had my dad's old old boat (76 Hornet) and I was only familiar with it but not used to all the new electronics on this one. Got used to doing everything manually on the old boat.

Boat.jpg

Bigun
    Chattanooga, TN

2. Member
    Don't know about yours but on my 9.9 Johnson they recommend between 40:1 and 50:1 in the manual.

3. Member
    50 to one ratio and use only marine 2 stroke oil. No lawnmower stuff.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    50 to one ratio and use only marine 2 stroke oil. No lawnmower stuff.
    Is there a measuring "cup" or chart for the 50:1 ratio?

Sorry about all the questions.

5. Member
    You can get the containers at Walmart in the boating section that are marked for different ratios.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-un View Post
    Is there a measuring "cup" or chart for the 50:1 ratio?

Sorry about all the questions.
    Ratio Rite.. Used them for dirt bikes forever... Easy

7. Member
    Buy the marine 2 stroke oil by the gallon, that's 4 quarts. I do one quart oil to 12.5 gallons gas. That's a dead on 50:1 mix.

8. Member
    That motor should have a built-in oil tank. If it does just fill it. With full synthetic .

9. Member
    Those engines are VRO (Variable Ratio Oiling). The only reason to run pre-mix is if the previous owner has disconnected the VRO pump. The VRO fuel pump is about $460 so disconnecting it is common "fix" if the oil alarm goes off and the pump is suspected to be bad (which rarely happens) - and then run 50:1 premix in it instead.

Need to check that out before you fill it up with premix or it will smoke like a mosquito fogger on premix if the VRO is functional.

10. Member
    1qt. (32oz.) oil to 12 gal gas
    Rocket

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    As previously mentioned confirm the VRO has been unhooked on that motor before you start adding oil to the gas. When new, that motor come from the factory with a VRO that would mix the oil and gas for you but it is common for people to un-hook them so verify yours has been unhooked or you will be double oiling.

Back in the day when I was mixing my own oil/gas for my boat motor at 50:1 I would buy oil in a gallon jug a transfer oil to pint bottles. I always had 3 pint bottles with specific amounts of oil in them. One would be 1/2 full and the other two would be full. When I bought gas I would buy either 3,6,9 or 12 gallons of gas. Rarely would I have to buy more than 12 gallons but if I did I knew the ratio.

1/2 pint oil to 3 gallons of fuel
    1 pint of oil to 6 gallons of fuel
    1-1/2 pints of oil to 9 gallons of fuel
    2 pints of oil to 12 gallons of fuel...I list it as two pints because I have my oil in pint jugs but two pints is the same as 1 quart.

Now another thing I want to add is buy a good quality oil. XD50 would be a good OEM Johnson/Evinrude oil for that motor. Pennzoil Marine Premium Plus is another good oil for that motor BUT make sure it says Pennzoil MARINE PERMIUM PLUS synthetic blend. Pennzoil makes various different two stroke oils and you want the Marine Synthetic Blend.

Here is the link for an oil to gas calculator that will help you find the ratio you need to mix... http://www.anycalculator.com/gasando...alculator.html

The above link will give you the exact amount of oil to gas. The numbers I listed I rounded up in oil. For example the exact amount of oil for 3 gallons of gas to get 50:1 is 7.68 ounces...I rounded up to 8 ounces which is 1/2 pint. If you use that calculator just make sure you have 50:1 plugged in as the number to use for the mix ratio.
    Last edited by JR19; 08-22-2020 at 02:24 AM.

12. Member
    Big-un,

Here is the formula for the equation:

Number of gls x 128 / 50 = ounces of oil needed

Always safer in rounding up your result.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Big-un,

Here is the formula for the equation:

Number of gls x 128 / 50 = ounces of oil needed

Always safer in rounding up your result.
    That's a good one! I went one simpler yet. Just put in 3 oz/gal of gas. 50:1 comes out to 2 point something oz/gal. Many of the manufacturers like US Marine used to say 50:1 for "normal" operation, 25:1 for "severe service or breakin". I never read where anybody ever said what "severe service" was, but I would assume it's something like continuous full-throttle or maybe pulling skiers or something.

What it says about the VRO:

100_0035.jpg

But in reality there's not much "sensing" that goes on there. It's just a vacuum driven combination fuel and oil pump. The more fuel it takes, the more oil it squirts in. If that system is working right and you mark your oil jug, run the engine at full throttle for 30 minutes and measure it all out it's actually closer to 40:1 at full power. At least that's what I found. And that corresponds with what US Marine used to say.

100_0036.jpg

When VRO came out in 1984 suddenly a lot of OMC V-4, V-6 and V-8 powerheads were showing up with scored pistons and scuffed cylinders - especially guys that idled them a lot motor trolling with them on blue water boats. They were seizing them up one right after another, idling for 3-4 hours then hammer on it to go on plane and she'd grind to a halt because the crankcase was dried out from running too lean on oil idling. So it became a common thing to unhook the VRO and just run 3 oz/gal, which works out to about 43:1. Close enough.

I got a measuring bottle long ago, not sure where I got it - don't remember. I still run an old two-stroke without oil injection. Squirt in 12 gallons of gas, put in 36 oz of oil. Simple. Never burned a piston yet, if it's a cross-scavenger with crankcase drain reeds doesn't leave no oil slick on the water.

100_0034.jpg