Thread: wheel balance

wheel balance

Do you guys get your trailer tires balanced? At 60 and below my pvc guide ons are steady, if I push the speed much above 65 those pvc poles shake & vibrate. Balance issue? Thanks
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I do get mine balanced. Your problem could be balance, or it could be a bad tire or just resonance from the air.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I do have mine balanced. Cannot fathom why a lot of shops discourage balancing trailer tires. If it’s rotating, it needs balanced.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    Definitely balance mine.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

5. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    I do have mine balanced. Cannot fathom why a lot of shops discourage balancing trailer tires. If it’s rotating, it needs balanced.
    This.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

I pay for balancing, then when they give me my trailer tires none have weights, so they take it back enraged and slap some shift on it and say hear ya go. I do not understand the dumb f...... who think it can Spin 80mph and not shake the hell outa everything.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

I always have my trailer tires balanced, even though the tire guys look at me like I'm nuts.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I have posted this video years ago...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

9. mikesxpress
    Yes balance them and as most high end boat trailers have aluminum wheels NEVER use hammer on weights! Adhesive weights placed inside the rim only. 3M and others make a non-foam back stick on weight system. Make sure you get the wax off the area the weights are applied.

10. Member
    Your guide ons are likely vibrating from the air across them but it certainly could be a tire balance issue.

11. Member
    I'm getting my trailer tires balanced tomorrow. Currently have balance beads, but getting some slight vibration I'm feeling at speeds from 70-72. I'm going for an actual tire balance using adhesive weights and ditching the beads. Like others, I can't imagine the reasoning for not balancing trailer tires....if its rotating, it should be balanced.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

12. Moderator
    Have always had my trailer tires balanced.

13. Member
    First trip out since I had my tires balanced and big improvement in the way those pvc guide ons were shaking. Thanks for all the info guys.
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichW View Post
    First trip out since I had my tires balanced and big improvement in the way those pvc guide ons were shaking. Thanks for all the info guys.
    Glad to hear it worked for you. I got mine balanced as well and the vibration I was getting is gone.

15. Banned
    Put 2 ounces of Dyna Beads in each tire. Easy DIY and smooth "dynamic" balancing.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marlake View Post
    Put 2 ounces of Dyna Beads in each tire. Easy DIY and smooth "dynamic" balancing.
    Never heard of them before!! Looked them up and sounds impressive and easy to do. How long have you been using those? Anyone else try them? Looks like the way to go for sure... I might have to try a kit and see..

17. Member
    Regarding balance beads, as I mentioned in a previous post I had a vibration I could feel at 70-72 mph. I had the beads removed last week and the stick on weights added to balance the wheels. The vibration is gone. I found it interesting when the guy who did the balance work said the beads were stuck to the rim and tire. I thought they should be free floating. With them stuck in place, not sure how well they work.

Found this link which if talking about motorcycles but I think I had the same issues with beads.

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index....ail-with-pics/

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    Regarding balance beads, as I mentioned in a previous post I had a vibration I could feel at 70-72 mph. I had the beads removed last week and the stick on weights added to balance the wheels. The vibration is gone. I found it interesting when the guy who did the balance work said the beads were stuck to the rim and tire. I thought they should be free floating. With them stuck in place, not sure how well they work.

Found this link which if talking about motorcycles but I think I had the same issues with beads.

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index....ail-with-pics/
    Thanks. The thread linked, does suggest that the soft tire material of that particular radial motorcycle tire probably had some influence. That said, who knows. I appreciate the feedback.

19. Banned
    The concept of "dynamic balancing" and the ease of application lead me to use Dyna Beads as I was changing my own motorcycle tires.
    I was impressed with the results and thought I'd try them on my trailer tires. I have never, in years, had an issue with "sticking" as has been described here. You can hear the beads rolling around in the tire on both bike and trailer at very low speed.
    Anyway, I got no skin in the game regarding Dyna Beads. I use them because they work for ME.
    True to form, if you want to get confused about a topic, go to the internet. For every positive there is someone with a negative. Sort through the info and do what feels right for you. I'm very happy with my decision and hope the same for you.