USA Mercury high speed water inlet scoops

2014 merc 175 pro xs model 1175p73ey serial 2b110355p. I’ve been reading the sticky’s about water pressure and all. I have a champ 181 with 6 inch manual jp 24 pitch tempest plus and have found the best performance height adjustment. But I am not confident in the water pressure that I have at this setting. 10/11 psi at wot. Personally I would be more comfortable with higher readings. I have to lower it enough to get higher psi that it hurts it on the top end. My question is, is there a negative to installing the mercury high speed scoop kit on my lower? If so, what might it be. And what amount of psi gains can I realistically get as a positive result? Thanks for any help in this matter. Have a great day

Which gear case are you running and what is the prop to pad measurements, there is a better way in many cases
    Is there anything such as a transducer mounted on the pad in front of the gearcase
    Is the pad and trailing area in good clean shape with sharp trailing edges
    posting a picture of your gear case showing the water intakes and nosecone area would be helpful
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I went from 9-10 to 15-18 on my 175. Downside is that debris can get stuck in them occasionally. This is my second motor with them on and I have to pull some pine needles out about every usage but have never had to remove them.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    06 sb thanks for that reply. I was thinking of possible debris issues myself. Ipugh I am running the factory gear case and prop to pad is 3 1/4 . Clear path of clean water. No transducers anywhere. When I lower it down she slows way up and feels sluggish. I also run sea star pro hydraulic steering

Get 1/16 pipe tap and 8 1/16 pipe plugs with the heads that use a Allen wrench, Tap and plug the top 4 on each side of the case, leave the bottom 4 alone. I am assuming this is a Torkmaster 1 case that has eight holes in each side of the case and four hole in the nose cone for water pickups. If the top four holes are above water line at speed they can pull air in especially if the the ones in the nose are restricted
    Be sure the front ones are not plugged up with wood or trash first, That case should not have a problem at 3 1/4 as is with low water pressure nor require mods
    Might be wise to check poppit valve and replace impellor as well
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    Thanks for the info My lower is a factory unit. No holes in the nose cone at all. Maybe I should try plugging only 2 on each side and then test it?

The 175 2stoke ProXS does not have any holes on the nose...I wish it did! Just tapping and plugging holes is not recommended by Don. I therefore did the scoops. It does not void any LU warranty either.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Member
    I found a mercury factory scoop kit on line for 50 bucks. My plan is to install them and report back the results. Thanks again for the input fellas. Have a great day.

9. Member
    careful around the vegatation
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    careful around the vegetation
    Yes sir, that its why I prefer to plug the top four and modify the bottom four slightly,
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    I've had the merc scoops on my 200 for a long time no problems so far
    J
    JUSTIN LAWSON
    IL ANG 183FW Retired SMSGT
    1998 ASTRO2000 DC[Hooter Scooter] 200MERC EFI TRO4 23P
    Engine by Jay Smith Racing

12. Member
    Well I’m back with my findings. Went out yesterday and ran her up and I’m here to say yeppie! Went from 10 / 11 psi at wot to 15.4 consistently. I turned left/right trimmed up and down. Very pleased. Thanks fellas

13. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................