Thread: 42 MPH club!!!

42 MPH club!!!

I slung my first blade today. 28 Promax, stock, probably has like 10 hours on it.

Wanted to know if you get an award for slinging the blade at the slowest speed ever? Who slings a blade at 42MPH?

Would have been more manly to come on hear and say “I was skinned back at 93 and slung a blade. Laid her down nice and easy”

Tim and Lee would know I was lying because I never drive that fast!!!
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

2. Member
    I've slung a blade taking off on my Stroker, half an hour into a tournament. (28" P4) Spent most of the day idling 15 miles back up the lake. I slung one of my Bravos in the upper 80's and a 26 P4 upper 70's.
    The B-man holeshot plate saved my lower unit every time, taking the brunt of the blade damage.

3. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    slung a 28P promax last fall on hartwell doing low 60's, just cruising back to our VRBO around 4:30PM. Thankfully bumblebee came by and towed me in. That was a one in a million I'd see someone that knew i was on BBC and he knew me
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

“I was skinned back at 93 and slung a blade. Laid her down nice and easy” this was me last week. 30 Promax. Something didn't feel right at about 94. I put it down and took a look. Yep, tossed half of one blade. I had spent the previous 3 days driving the family around the lake. Probably had 6-8 hours of slow boat rides over those days. I went out the next day early and pulled away from the launch and got on it. Less than 3000' it went bye bye.

This prop had maybe 15 hours on it. I never used it. It sat in the box most of the time with the 300XS and it did with the 300R as well. Now its on the wall of shame with the other broken props.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

5. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    And it didn't destroy the prop shaft seal at that speed?? That's strange. When I slung mine i backed out pretty quick and til I got stopped it was really making a noise like I blew the engine. that's exactly what I thought happened. Dropped the case off at Don's in Greenville and it had a bent prop shaft and needed all new seals. Maybe I really did hit something but there's never anything floating around on hartwell...at least not in October when we are there.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

I don't have a Promax on my wall of shame (yet) but theres several Merc props and various others.
    Why I carry a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    And it didn't destroy the prop shaft seal at that speed?? That's strange. When I slung mine i backed out pretty quick and til I got stopped it was really making a noise like I blew the engine. that's exactly what I thought happened. Dropped the case off at Don's in Greenville and it had a bent prop shaft and needed all new seals. Maybe I really did hit something but there's never anything floating around on hartwell...at least not in October when we are there.
    Nothing. It was a very slight vibration. When I slowed down I couldn't feel it at all vs. when I tossed a blade on a cleaver one time. With that one when I slowed down it violently shook the entire boat so bad it popped the cowl off my 300X. I changed the gear lube afterwards and checked run out and it is good to go.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Mine turned loose of almost the entire blade. Shook my fillings loose till I could get it down. Violent shaking. Changed props, all seems fine so far....
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

I have slung a few many years ago. Nothing like cruising in my xr2002 in the upper 90's and slinging a blade. Very interesting how the boat acts at different speeds after losing a blade. Been very fortunate to keep all blades attached properly on my XB21 so far!
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by MET View Post
    Would have been more manly to come on hear and say “I was skinned back at 93 and slung a blade. Laid her down nice and easy”
    Thats about where my 28 Promax slung a blade
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0