Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I had the opposite with the fury. I couldn't quite spin the 26 fury to 5700 only about 5500. The 26 tempest I can run to 5700. Now with that said I didn't play with the fury much as I liked the way the boat felt better with the tempest.

The fury did hole shot better and was able to run no plugs on my setup. I have to run some reduction plugs on the tempest or it blows out.

2. Member
    It's a Honda! Enough said.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired cop View Post
    It's a Honda! Enough said.
    True that these outboards are hard to prop right with the 2.0:1 gears. It's odd because they turn massive rpms at wot but if you prop it so your 200 off the limiter you will come up slow. it's almost like the Outboard wants a stock 25 to get on plane and a 26 at wot. So the prop I am running is basically a 25.5 because the exact pitch is a 24.89 with a lot of cup added so it turns rpms less than a stock 26 but more than a stock 25.

I do however have to say that after owning several boats and brands of outboards the Honda by far is the best I have owned. The Honda runs just regular gas, it burns way less gas than any out board I have owned, it is dead silent and best of all the Outboard has never had any issues as far as break downs in the 3 years I have owned it.

4. Member
    Unless you are blowing out on holeshot you need to remove some pvs plugs. Dont care it's a 4 stroke or not. Start by removing just 1. Let the prop vent a little and rpms will increase a little as well. I would remove them 1 at a time until it started blowing out.

Pitch for pitch a fury will turn about 200 rpm less than a tempest, when comparing always compare one pitch lower with a Fury, So if a 25 tempest is getting the correct wot rpm and a fair hole shot, going to a 24 Fury will get about the same top speed but a much better holeshot, generally speaking a Fury should be set to run 1/4 to 1/2 inch deeper, My experience is a Fury that has been reworked will perform far better than a tempest on most boats in every aspect
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    It's a 4 stroke all holes plugged is my best holeshot.
    Not to start an argument but I run a 300R V8 4stroke and it likes lots of venting especially in the summer months. I run Promax props as fishing wheels and mine prefers 8 open pvs holes.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

7. Member
    Get a 24" tempest for warm weather.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tritontr21 View Post
    Not to start an argument but I run a 300R V8 4stroke and it likes lots of venting especially in the summer months. I run Promax props as fishing wheels and mine prefers 8 open pvs holes.
    I will try this again. However I have a 25 Fury on the way when I ran a Fury in the past it gave me improved hole shot over tempest.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Get a 24" tempest for warm weather.
    If I go to a 24 even in hot weather I will be on the limiter all day. The 25 Tempest that I had the trouble with getting on plane same day had no problem running 6200 rpm's plus with massive full load in 90deg temps. It's only a hole shot issue in extreme conditions.

Something does not seem right, as the Promax is an exhaust over the hub with 4 pvs holes, I just ordered a promax and I am concerned of having to much venting on 250 pxs 2 stroke
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    If I go to a 24 even in hot weather I will be on the limiter all day. The 25 Tempest that I had the trouble with getting on plane same day had no problem running 6200 rpm's plus with massive full load in 90deg temps. It's only a hole shot issue in extreme conditions.
    Kind of strange to run the same RPM WOT in winter and summer with the same prop but struggle to to plane in the summer. I've run several different boats and engines over the past 25-30 years. Seems like every one lost WOT MPH and RPM in the heat along with some loss getting on plane. Never had one struggle that bad to get on plane in the heat yet run WOT like it was cool weather.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted-LA View Post
    Kind of strange to run the same RPM WOT in winter and summer with the same prop but struggle to to plane in the summer. I've run several different boats and engines over the past 25-30 years. Seems like every one lost WOT MPH and RPM in the heat along with some loss getting on plane. Never had one struggle that bad to get on plane in the heat yet run WOT like it was cool weather.
    I know it's odd but true I only get about a 200 rpm swing max. I does lose some to rpm's in the summer but not enough that I could go down a whole pitch. Limiter kicks in at 6450, in spring or fall I can hit it running light, in summer even with a full load it runs just over 6200. If I go to a stock 24 tempest the only time I'm off the limiter is with a full load and hot temps and just barely. So any other time I would have to make a conscious effort to stay off limiter.

My Ranger 520VX 250 proxs is faster with a full load with my fury 4 over my tempest. Tempest doesn’t even come close to lifting the boat like the fury 4 does. With out a load it’s only 2 mph slower with fury 4 on so it stays on all the time.
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

14. Member
    Hey guys could I get some help too? I have a 2015 21 trx with a 250 pro xs and I’m not getting much speed at all. I topped at 71 about a month ago with a 25p fury. I was at guntersville all last week and could barely hit 67 (full tournament load for both) and nothing has changed except I moved my jackplate maybe an inch. I then tried a 27p tempest 2 days ago and barely hit 65 with hardly any fuel. Then yesterday I put the fury back on but with 3/4 fuel and barley did 62. Should I try a 24 tempest or 24 fury? I used to run a 26p fury and switched to the 25 and it gained more speed also. Thanks

I know it's odd but true I only get about a 200 rpm swing max. I does lose some to rpm's in the summer but not enough that I could go down a whole pitch. Limiter kicks in at 6450, in spring or fall I can hit it running light, in summer even with a full load it runs just over 6200. If I go to a stock 24 tempest the only time I'm off the limiter is with a full load and hot temps and just barely. So any other time I would have to make a conscious effort to stay off limiter.
    That is about right, 200 RPM equal 1 pitch size in change
    A 24 Fury will run almost identical RPM as 25 tempest, but have a much better hole shot, probably will need to lower the motor up to 1/2 inch for best overall performance
    May be just a little faster as well, after getting solid baseline numbers contact Mark Croxten about reworking the Fury to perfection, you will lose all interest in a tempest for your boat, If the stock Fury does bump limiter, I feel that is a good thing after the prop work it will not and all aspects of the Fury will be even better and it can then be raised up a little as well
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-30-2020 at 11:43 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Do you use a cavitation ring on the prop? I thought that promax props only had four holes, at least the labbed one I have on the way is four holes!
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12