Lowrance Ghost Question

I just recently installed the Ghost on my boat. Last weekend I was fishing and got my lure hung up close to the bank so I trolled up to it and got it but in doing so I hit the rocks with the prop of the Ghost and it stopped the prop. After this the motor would not turn the prop anymore. I could still use the pedal to turn it and the light would come on in the arrow but the prop would not spin. I had to turn the trolling motor off and then back on and it worked fine again. Is this a normal thing? Is it supposed to do that? I personally think that is a terrible idea. If the wind would be blowing into the bank there would be no way to get back away from it quickly. Anyone know if this is how it was designed or if something else happened to mine?

2. Member
    Something happened. I did the same thing a couple months ago, dinged up the prop but it kept working. As long as it's working now, you are probably ok but I'd pull the prop to be sure the pin is still intact and seated correctly.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Something happened. I did the same thing a couple months ago, dinged up the prop but it kept working. As long as it's working now, you are probably ok but I'd pull the prop to be sure the pin is still intact and seated correctly.

NoCAL
    OK. I'll check it out. Thanks!!

I had something similar, hung up going to bank to retrieve my bait and hit bottom, it acted as if it cut the motor off because it wouldn't do anything, turned off and back on and everything was fine after that.
    GO DAWGS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secdawgs View Post
    I had something similar, hung up going to bank to retrieve my bait and hit bottom, it acted as if it cut the motor off because it wouldn't do anything, turned off and back on and everything was fine after that.
    That's exactly what mine did. I hope that's not how they are supposed to operate because on a windy day that could be really bad.

6. Member
    Using the my ghost seriously for the first time this weekend, had a similar experience with unexpected shutoffs. Thick weeds (deer tongue) and hitting something seem to cause issues. Even though I’m was going pretty easy on the trolling motor so far.. Any chance the new update fixes this? Not impressed with the motor so far...

7. Member
    Hit logs and think weeds today. Never stopped, cut right through the weeds. Best money I’ve spent on the boat. I did the update yesterday but haven’t heard of anything to address this issue you gentlemen seem to be having.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

8. Member
    Same thing happened to me after a tourney at ramp right in front of everyone. At that time never thought of turning it off and on. Problem disappeared in the driveway probably because I turned it back on. Problem never developed again. Still very happy with the motor.

9. Banned
    SAME thing happened to me today. ran into a sandbar motor stopped working, all lights were on .. i turned it off and back on everything seem find. it acted like it trip something to keep the motor from burning up . i guess when you turn it off and back on it reset everything...

Being retired from a career in automation controls, I generally understand what’s going on. Basically there are sensors that feed Information to a controller.upon start up, various sensors are fed and home positions are determined. Something like the prop strike throws things out of synchronization. Restarting allows it to go through its initialization routine to resynchronize. That’s an extreme over simplification, and I don’t know exactly how it works, but reboot is always worth a try with such systems.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Active Target 2 on Seelite Pole
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    I did the update yesterday but haven’t heard of anything to address this issue you gentlemen seem to be having.

NoCAL
    Does Lowrance publish the fixes/changes in the new firmware for the Ghost? Looked and couldn’t find anything on 1.0.4.0.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScrew View Post
    Does Lowrance publish the fixes/changes in the new firmware for the Ghost? Looked and couldn’t find anything on 1.0.4.0.
    There is a lot of information that Lowrance chooses not to share with us on the Ghost. For instance, I have never been able to find what the amp draw is on Max power.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

13. Member
    I was fishing a really heavy grass lake this weekend and had that happen twice. I removed the grass form the prop, turned it off/on and it was fine again. I'm pretty sure it gave 2 audible beeps before it stopped working, so that makes me think it was programmed to do that.

14. Member
    Mine has done it with the heavy grass. Glad to hear that it's not isolated. I'll keep and eye on mine and see if it happens again. Seems like a bug somewhere.

Hey guys, a little late to the thread here but wanted to address some of the questions.

The issue with the motor losing power after the prop has been obstructed (requiring power cycle) has since been corrected.

If you are running current software (1.1.06) and you are still experiencing this, you may need to update the firmware in the brushless motor. If this is the case, please DM me.

As for the other question, max current draw regardless of voltage is 43 amps.

16. Member
    What the others said...Mine got wrapped up in heavy weeds and stopped. I turned it off and back on again...never had another issue with it
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

17. Member
    I bet it's a circuit protection feature that prevents an over amperage draw that could damage the electrical circuitry or motor. Any time a motor has a hard time turning or is stopped from turning, the amperage draw increases. Something like a self-resetting circuit breaker. Cycling it on and off resets it.