Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Actual measured length of P2 on trailer

Hello Bass Cat owners, I posted in the general forum section asking for recommendations for the most capable bass boat that will fit in a 22' garage. The P2 was recommended. If you have one with the Merc. 4 stroke 200 hp engine, single axle trailer, jackplate, and swing tongue please if you have time measure the overall length with the engine trimmed down and post it please. I'm trying to decide if I want to sell / trade my Skeeter FX21 and Lowe 17HP and just settle on one bass boat that will fit in my garage. I like what I've read about the P2. I'm not a real WOT speed demon kind of guy but I value an efficient boat / motor with a high cruise speed. 70 mph loaded for fishing is plenty for me at WOT. Any input about the P2 is also greatly appreciated. I will be fishing solo mostly but at times with my son-in-law and grandson. Are they difficult to learn to drive. Having a bunch of young grandkids it would be nice if the P2 could plane out a low enough speed to pull kids on a tube. Remember I'm coming out of a Skeeter FX21 250 SHO which is point and drive even at WOT. No chine walk or bad manners at all. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I wish the FX would fit in the garage but it can't happen without evicting my wife's Enclave and that isn't an option. Of course the Lowe fits with room to spare but it is only 17' with a 90. It is great for river fishing and quick short trips with not much running around. I'd like something that is in between the two but more toward the big boat in capabilities.

2. Member
    BassCat web site lists the P2 at 22' with the tongue folded back. From past experience, that should be really close. If you have exactly 22' to fit it in, it won't fit without angling somewhat. Most P2's are sitting on a tandem trailer, so that makes maneuvering a bit more difficult. Any of the performance BassCat hulls (Puma/Cougar or P2/Classic) need driver input to perform at their best. It will take a bit of seat time to get the most out of it. If absolute top speed performance is not your driving force, put a 5 blade prop on it and pull the grandkids around the lake and then change back to a 3 blade with you want to air it out. You won't go wrong with a BassCat. I am down in Dalton and on Chick quite often if you are interested in driving a Puma (20' hull).

So I came from an older Skeeter ZX185 to a 2010 PII a little less than 2 years ago. I have the single axle trailer with a 2 stroke Mercury Pro XS and park in the garage. It's tight and I have to angle it in diagonally but I make it work...Wife has to park outside! It's right at 22' with the tongue folded.

My experience with the PII is it's a blast to drive and is an awesome boat. It's a rocket out of the hole and really gets up and goes. It's like a sports car to drive and handles great with a 4 blade Fury on the Pro XS. I can get to 70 if I want to drive it, but usually stay under 65 and it's really smooth and easy to drive at that speed. Bass Cat really makes a nice boat and the build quality is exceptional...I can't see myself owning another brand of boat after having this one! The only negative for me is the front is narrow and not as stable as I would like when fishing. So if I was taking smaller kids or wanting to fish 3 in the boat, I'd be looking at a Pantera Classic or Caracal instead of a PII. Those boats carry the wider beam farther forward so they have more room up front and are more stable. They are both a little longer than the PII so that may be an issue for you...

Good luck!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

4. Member
    Not a P2 with a 4stroke but the one I just sold with a 2stroke ProXS, 8" Bobs and a swing tongue was pretty much right at 22', my garage is 22'4" and I had 3" to spare with the motor an inch or so away from the wall (motor turned). The hull doesn't get squirrely until 68 or so. At 65 it's easy to drive. I had mine to 73.

Not sure about the 5 blade pitch for a 4stroke but I ran a 25 Hi5 a lot, was actually my favorite prop, only could get about 65 and would hit the limiter when it was cold out but the holeshot and handling made up for it. Anyway, never pulled anyone on a tube with it but it will get on plane right now with a 5 blade.

6. Member
    To the OP, find a PII and look at it closely. The front deck is much skinnier than on your current FX21 Skeeter.

7. Member
    Everyone, thanks for all your valuable input / insight. I will visit a BCB dealer and sit in a P2 to check our your concerns that the front is narrow compared to my FX21. I'm sure it is a big difference. I don't read any negatives about BCB with the exception of some older comments about the hulls having a designed "lip" at the end of the hull that creates some wear problems on trailer bunks. I think a P2 would work well for me but I do need to at least sit in one and actually going out and fishing out of a P2 would be better. They must be great boats because there just aren't a lot of used ones to be had. I'd like a new one but even stretching my budget to $40K won't get me in a new P2 with a 200 4S. I like the Yamaha SHO so I'd be happy finding a SHO or Merc 4S powered boat. If anyone knows of a late model P2, hopefully with some remaining engine warranty for sale please let me know. I'd consider driving as much as 500 miles one way from the Chattanooga TN area for the right boat. I would sell my FX21 or trade whichever works best. Trade would save me some on sales tax I think, so the trade price might not have to be 100% of what I could sell the boat for myself. Thanks again everyone.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    I don't read any negatives about BCB with the exception of some older comments about the hulls having a designed "lip" at the end of the hull that creates some wear problems on trailer bunks.
    I often wonder if this is why it's so hard for me to get my Margay bow up.

Lower the engine on the Margay.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Lower the engine on the Margay.
    It's about 4.5" PTP which is pretty low by that standard. I haven't measured it using the Basscat standard, as i really don't understand it and don't have a straight edge long enough.

11. Member
    Hey ChooChoo, I have a dual console 2014 PII with the merc two stroke. I live in north chatt and am happy to help anyway I can (shoot me a PM if you want).

Jumping on what others have said here. If you are looking for: a smaller boat that fishes like a 21 footer, made of high quality, backed by amazing customer and community support, and is incredibly fuel efficient, the PII is it. It rides amazing in rough water, the customer service cannot be beat, and other BCB owners are just as helpful IMO.

That boat is a rocket ship and requires driver input. Fully loaded with three grown men, jumps on pad almost instant. That boat is incredibly fuel efficient. My wife and I took it out for a cruise one evening on Nickajack. We put in at rivermont, and ran all the way down to Nickajack Cave, stopping in downtown and various other parts of the narrows (she had never been on a boat downtown before). She is not a fan of speed so I would say we ran about 45-50 on average. The needle was still touching "F" when I put it back on the trailer. On the other hand, I fish the frostbite (local jackpot tx) and BFLs here and on Guntersville. I can easily fish two of those events on one tank of gas. As for rough water ride, you know it can get pretty nasty on the Chick and Guntersville in the winter. This boat handles those rollers with no problem at all.
    2014 BassCat PII
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    http://offthechartsboating.com

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlippinManiac View Post
    Hey ChooChoo, I have a dual console 2014 PII with the merc two stroke. I live in north chatt and am happy to help anyway I can (shoot me a PM if you want).

Jumping on what others have said here. If you are looking for: a smaller boat that fishes like a 21 footer, made of high quality, backed by amazing customer and community support, and is incredibly fuel efficient, the PII is it. It rides amazing in rough water, the customer service cannot be beat, and other BCB owners are just as helpful IMO.

That boat is a rocket ship and requires driver input. Fully loaded with three grown men, jumps on pad almost instant. That boat is incredibly fuel efficient. My wife and I took it out for a cruise one evening on Nickajack. We put in at rivermont, and ran all the way down to Nickajack Cave, stopping in downtown and various other parts of the narrows (she had never been on a boat downtown before). She is not a fan of speed so I would say we ran about 45-50 on average. The needle was still touching "F" when I put it back on the trailer. On the other hand, I fish the frostbite (local jackpot tx) and BFLs here and on Guntersville. I can easily fish two of those events on one tank of gas. As for rough water ride, you know it can get pretty nasty on the Chick and Guntersville in the winter. This boat handles those rollers with no problem at all.
    FlippinManiac, thanks so much for the reply and the offer to help. As my search continues I may message you with some specific questions. It is very nice to know that there is someone close by with a P2. If you don't mind saying, How long have you had your P2? If I sell my FX21 and get into a P2 then it will be with the intention that the P2 would be my last bass boat. I'm 63 now and I tend to keep things I like a very long time and take very good care of them. I'm interested in how your 2014 P2 has held up and how long you've had it. Thanks!

13. Member
    Sure, happy to help. I have owned the boat for a little over two years. Before that, it was owned by someone down in LA and per my dealer, he trades in for a new one every three years or so. I have always kept the boat under a cover, and for the most part, under a carport. There is no fading of the gelcoat or tears in the seats. The carpet has some minor stains, but that’s my own doing, its not pulling loose or fraying at all. The only gelcoat fading I have is on the front step of the trailer (up buy the winch).

I will say, since it is a narrower boat fishing stability is not the best. Not saying that it’s bad, just not as stable as other models. I have never had an issue with that, but when my buddy who is 250 goes to one side, I know it up front.
    2014 BassCat PII
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    http://offthechartsboating.com

we never worry about engine heights when setting one up because it’s only a base line to start. It’s not performing where you have it as you desire, lower it and try 1/2” down.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    It's about 4.5" PTP which is pretty low by that standard. I haven't measured it using the Basscat standard, as i really don't understand it and don't have a straight edge long enough.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    we never worry about engine heights when setting one up because it’s only a base line to start. It’s not performing where you have it as you desire, lower it and try 1/2” down.

BCB
    Thanks for the reply. I am really surprised by that though. I would have thought at 4.5", I would need to raise it.

When I get past 48 MPH, I absolutely love how it rides. It's the getting there that I don't really like much, especially with a load.

It’s not how high it is, it’s how it is connecting to the water.

17. Member
    To the op I changed out the 8" jackplate for a 3" slidemaster last year to get it in my garage. Had to change out props but it runs great. Jumps on pad with 3 guys. I am not a speed freak but I've comfortably run 65mph with quite a bit more to go.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipIt2119 View Post
    To the op I changed out the 8" jackplate for a 3" slidemaster last year to get it in my garage. Had to change out props but it runs great. Jumps on pad with 3 guys. I am not a speed freak but I've comfortably run 65mph with quite a bit more to go.
    Interesting and I appreciate your input. What length is your garage? Right now I'm going on the idea that with the factory installed plate (8"?) that the minimum length is 22' although I've gotten some feedback that it is 21'7" to 21'10". Since my garage is exactly 22' from the back wall to the door and I can't angle the boat very much I need to know pretty accurately what the actual length is. Of course if I find a P2 on a single axle trailer that I think will work I'm going to put a tape measure on it but I need to know in general terms if a P2 will fit or do I move my search to another brand / model. Again thanks for all the help.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    Interesting and I appreciate your input. What length is your garage? Right now I'm going on the idea that with the factory installed plate (8"?) that the minimum length is 22' although I've gotten some feedback that it is 21'7" to 21'10". Since my garage is exactly 22' from the back wall to the door and I can't angle the boat very much I need to know pretty accurately what the actual length is. Of course if I find a P2 on a single axle trailer that I think will work I'm going to put a tape measure on it but I need to know in general terms if a P2 will fit or do I move my search to another brand / model. Again thanks for all the help.
    My garage is 21'4" deep. I can fit it straight back, tongue folded, and motor turned with the 4" plate. It takes some maneuvering to do but I only put it in straight for winter storage so my wife can park in the garage as well. Other than that I have it in sideways. Single axle trailer would make it easier to maneuver for straight back.

20. Member
    I just purchased (Friday) a 2020 P2 with the Mercury 200 proXS 4S. The boat from back of engine to trailer breakaway is 21’10”. My garage is 21‘7”. I have to turn the motor and angle the nose of the boat to get it in with my wife’s car. My last boat was a P II with the two-stroke proXS and that one was 21‘7”. Both were on single axle trailers for this reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast