Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Crestliner - Bad Scratch/Dent

Hey Folks,

I bought a 2019 Crestliner VT17 in January and it’s been a dream. It’s so much fun to adventure off the bank and fish more water.

Unfortunately, on my way home last week, I hit a bunch of bad potholes that knocked my boat loose on the trailer. Best I can figure, the boat was not sitting on the bunk securely and the potholes shifted the boat and knocked it against my trailer’s wheel well. The scratch seems pretty deep and I’m curious if anyone has any thoughts on this on how bad this is. Do I need to get this patched or sealed? Is it fine to use like this? I think I’m mainly concerned that it may somehow get worse and cause more damage. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Hey, at least you got it out of the way early! Now you can go forth and fish without worrying about the little stuff :)

Seriously, I can't tell much from the photos, but I'd give Crestliner a call/email and ask for their recommendation. I contacted them a couple of times when I had a Crestliner and they were pretty helpful.

3. Member
    Looks like the paint is scratched. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If you are really worried take it to the shop and have them check it out.
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
    Hey, at least you got it out of the way early! Now you can go forth and fish without worrying about the little stuff :)

Seriously, I can't tell much from the photos, but I'd give Crestliner a call/email and ask for their recommendation. I contacted them a couple of times when I had a Crestliner and they were pretty helpful.
    Hahah I knew it was going to happen at some point but didn't know it would look this bad. A good lesson learned if anything, I suppose. Thanks for the recommendation!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duracraftman View Post
    Looks like the paint is scratched. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If you are really worried take it to the shop and have them check it out.
    Yeah, it seems like the scratch is just below the paint. I'm just not sure if that's going to be a big problem once it gets back into the water. Probably time to check in with the dealer. Thanks for the response!

6. Member
    Looks like paint to me. Just go fishing, if you are doing it right the whole bottom of that boat should look like crap by the end of the year.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

Touch up paint. I applaud you for keeping it lookin good but now you got the first scratch now you can go fishin

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    Looks like paint to me. Just go fishing, if you are doing it right the whole bottom of that boat should look like crap by the end of the year.
    Hahah hopefully I can get back out there without beating up the boat too much

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Touch up paint. I applaud you for keeping it lookin good but now you got the first scratch now you can go fishin
    Thanks, time to get back out there!

10. Member
    Do you have tie downs on the transom? When I bought my current boat (crestliner) they were gonna let me drive off the lot without any..

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pflat View Post
    Do you have tie downs on the transom? When I bought my current boat (crestliner) they were gonna let me drive off the lot without any..
    Yeah, I have the tie downs for sure. It's kinda hard to tell in the picture but I think the problem was the ridges on my hull was sitting on the bunk and when I hit the pothole, it shifted off the bunk. I'm chalking it up to being a new boat owner and not realizing that leaving it on the bunk like that would be a problem.

12. Member
    Rub some dirt on it and tie your transom straps a little tighter. Fish on
    2019 Ram 5.7 Hemi Limited
    Skeeter ZX225
    2 Lowrance 12” Carbons
    1 Lowrance 9” Live
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Yamaha 225/ Hydro Tec/ 25-T1 SHO prop/ 83mph
    2-8’ Power Poles
    12” Black Atlas Jack

13. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    When I ran aluminum boats I would drag them up on shore and not think anything about it. I always said if I put a hole in them a piece of flashing, a few rivets and sealer would take care of it. Fish it and enjoy it. Now fiberglass is a different matter. Scratch them and the $$$ add up fast.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

14. #FRB
    Don't feel bad, you should see the bottom of my Tracker after 4 years and I'm pretty careful. Scratches on the hull of an aluminum boat just give it character. I wouldn't worry about it and just know that now you can relax with the first scratch out of the way.On the transom straps do you have the ratcheting kind that won't come loose while in tow?
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

The next time you load it, pull it up the ramp and look at the stern to see if the bunks are sitting between the chines. If not you can pick the boat up a bit and kinda shake it. 40 years ago I had a tin boat with a roller trailer, had to do it often.

Congrats on your new boat.

16. Member
    Smooth it over with a little JB Weld. About the same color as your boat!

17. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Potholes? Heck when I saw that I figured you were in Louisiana.....

Looks like some surface wear and in a place no one will ever see.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

If its not taking on water.....Keep fishing. Like most already said your boat is not broke in!!!!!! Hammer down!
    If you want a pig, flip a jig!!!

Since aluminum boats are light they need to be strapped down real good or they will move around on the trailer.

20. Member
    Get some good boat buckles on the back. Good tie straps would have not let the boat jump sideways like that. Its aluminum, no bigge jsut go fish. Tell your buds a monster bass did it with his dorsal fin just before he broke off. Then show them your new boat buckles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast