Thread: Swim Jig Rod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Swim Jig Rod

I'm looking for a rod in the 7ft range for 1/4 to 3/8 swim jigs. I want something with a soft tip that really loads then the rest of the blank shuts off. Tactical Bassin was describing a St. Croix Legend X medium heavy extra fast that has this kind of tip but they are not cheap.

2. Member
    ALX Zolo Toadface

3. Member
    Toadface 100%

Megabass Orochi XX Diablo Spec-R and Megabass Destroyer Daemos are my two go two swim jig rods....pretty much the best out there that I have found. Awesome small swimbait, chatterbait and spinnerbait rods too.

5. Member
    dont throw the swim jig a whole lot since I fish Lanier mainly but i did throw a 1/4 swim jig + trailer on an NRX 853 with 40lb braid on guntersville and it performed well. I had no problem getting some big fish out of the grass. If i step up to a 3/8 swim jig + trailer then I'd probably use my 7'2mh expride. Probably could handle a 1/4 swim jig + trailer

6. Member
    Impulse 7'3" heavy xf is a great swim jig rod
    Fitzgerald Brian Schmidt swim jig rod is awesome as well

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    Megabass Orochi XX Diablo Spec-R and Megabass Destroyer Daemos are my two go two swim jig rods....pretty much the best out there that I have found. Awesome small swimbait, chatterbait and spinnerbait rods too.
    +1

For me, the Spec-R has a perfect tip to skip swimjigs far into the bushes or under the docks.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

8. Member
    GLX MBR 843

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KWH View Post
    I'm looking for a rod in the 7ft range for 1/4 to 3/8 swim jigs. I want something with a soft tip that really loads then the rest of the blank shuts off. Tactical Bassin was describing a St. Croix Legend X medium heavy extra fast that has this kind of tip but they are not cheap.
    St.Croix makes that action in other models. I have it in the Avid X version. Great swim jig and Paddle Tail rod.

10. Member
    The Tatula 71MHXB is fairly similar to the Legend's action. I like the Tatula Elite AGS M-MH for swim jigs. It's a medium tip with medium heavy backbone.

11. Member
    Diablo Spec R is my swim jig rod but I think it is not as fast as what you are describing. I like the DSR because it is a moderate fast action and it loads well on casts and let's them eat it.

12. Member
    Like noted, the Avid X St. Croix line offers a very nice rod for this. I prefer the 7’4” but that’s just me. I fish swim jigs on a dobyn’s champion xp 744 full handle. Mostly fish 3/8oz with a paddle tail but this rod has a very nice tip and plenty of back bone, my favorite rod for the swim jig.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

13. Member
    It really depends whether you throw a swim jig with a heavy wire hook or light wire. I like a Dobyns Champ XP 734c for heavy wire jigs in thick grass/pads. For target fishing wood and lighter grass situations I use a Dobyns Champ XP 703c and a lighter wire hook. I use 15 lb. Fluoro for both.

14. Member
    We use a 7'2" MH Denali Attax with 30lb braid. It has been a great setup.

15. Banned
    I use a glx 843 mbr and a dobyns champ 734xp i like the 843 for tighter cover like dock skipping and the 734 more open water the 734 is the most versatile rod i own i had a toad face i bought on recomendation and didn't really care for it another great rod for swim jigs if you can find one is a 72 mh expride

16. Member
    I like the ALX BMJ a lot for swimming 3/8 oz jigs on braid, though it also excels with 1/4 oz jigs that have a reasonably strong hook. Soft tip, loads deep, plenty of power. For a truly light wire hook, I use a Loomis MBR 843 and usually fluoro.

17. Member
    7 foot MH BPS pro qualifier Rod.

18. Member
    Been using the mb perfect pitch for swim jigs, it’s heavy power but does not fish like one, surprisingly good hookup ratio.

19. Member
    Currently fishing my 1/4 and 3/8 oz swim jigs on the ALX bmj. Have also used a Loomis 843 mbr with good success.

20. Member
    kWH, the St. Croix actions seem to be similar on their less expensive models. Some read up on the Avids and Mojos. Their extra fast seems to me like what you have described. Their medium heavy is slightly stronger, which is good for jig fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast