Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The "Florida Hate Board"

What's happening to the Florida Fishing Board. It appears to be on the way to a "Florida Hate Board" against all persons from other states who want to move to Florida. It is a fishing board to discuss fishing, boating and help others with fishing reports.

I am a native of Florida of more years than most of you. Born and raised in agriculture country in northwest Florida and I also am concerned about all the growth to our wonderful state and the impact on our lakes and land, but 'YOU CANNOT STOP IT" by calling out people, so cut the hate and stick to information about fishing and boating.

I know many people who at one time posted on this board and they have quit because of these types of actions.

Maybe, Al should shut it down if the board cannot return to normal. This board has no place for hate and calling out people.

2. Banned
    No hate from me. I've been happy to point people in the right direction if they want to come and fish the area. I just want to point out the facts of what's happening here. Fla has failed to control growth, and frankly I don't know how they could have given how we have been over run. There are more than a few locals who are leaving and moving to less populated areas of Fla. It's only a temporary fix but with family still in SWF going to far away isn't an option, however it looks like they have had enough and will be moving up by us.

3. Banned
    Too many people come here thinking that it will be clean water, great fishing, and a chance to fish some of what used to be the best lakes in the country. That just is no longer valid.
    I agree with Garage Dog, the politico's will not be happy until every lot is built on with a strip mall that they can't rent the storefronts out on. The price of housing is way too high, as is homeowners insurance, ( if you can get it). Take a drive down A1A from Melbourne to Sebastian Inlet and look at the For Sale signs. People are trying hard to unload beachfront property as the insurance is sky high.
    Before anyone makes a commitment to move here, you should come down and rent a place in the area you are looking to move to and stay there for a year, much easier to not renew a lease than to try and sell a house and move elsewhere.
    Hate? not really, just sad to see the decline in what used to be a great place to live. So c'mon down, and after you have been here a year or so, you can complain about how much nicer it is without the tourists and snowbirds.

4. Member
    I agree with you B-47, my family has been in Palm Beach County since the late 1800's and growing up I heard all about how it used to be and all the changes being made, but they didn't complain about the people moving here from other states because "we all started out someplace else". People were welcomed, unless they were New Yorkers, my grandfather used to say it's just progress and you're not going to change it, it happens to every generation. I'm not thrilled to have all the people moving in but I'd be happier if those coming were fisherman and hunters because they understand our way of life. I'll be retiring in a year or two and be moving from South Florida but I won't be going far, too many lakes I like to fish in this area. Hope no one complains about me moving in.

I don't hate either, the price of progress is steep, I just figure out ways to make the best of it. For good or bad, Florida will never be the same as it was in the 60's and 70's, its called progress and we have to deal with it. The Florida page is dominated by anger at the spraying and folks moving in to the state, we need to get back in to talking about FISHING and sharing ideas reporting on our experiences. I was born in Puerto Rico and raised in Florida, got to see the world courtesy of The United States Navy and trust me there is no place like our home The USA and specifically FLORIDA, that is why I call this place home and always will.

Spanky

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky06 View Post
    I was born in Puerto Rico and raised in Florida, got to see the world courtesy of The United States Navy and trust me there is no place like our home The USA and specifically FLORIDA, that is why I call this place home and always will.

Spanky
    We could sure use a handful like this one:

Unknown-3.jpeg

7. Member
    And a whole lot of native Floridians retire to the southern Appalachians. (N. Ga. E.Tenn, West NC and SC).

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky06 View Post
    I don't hate either, the price of progress is steep, I just figure out ways to make the best of it. For good or bad, Florida will never be the same as it was in the 60's and 70's, its called progress and we have to deal with it. The Florida page is dominated by anger at the spraying and folks moving in to the state, we need to get back in to talking about FISHING and sharing ideas reporting on our experiences. I was born in Puerto Rico and raised in Florida, got to see the world courtesy of The United States Navy and trust me there is no place like our home The USA and specifically FLORIDA, that is why I call this place home and always will.

Spanky
    Well anyone that has been here a long time knows that the spraying is the root cause of our declining fisheries and the health of the states entire ecosystem, so yes there is a lot of anger there. But then it's not just hate on people moving here because most have at some point, but its when they do and they want to make it just like where they came from, so they complain about the grass in their manicured housing developments, then the FWC uses these people to justify their continued onslaught of our lakes. New people moving here must realize that florida will not be like where they are coming from, so if they dont like that then they shouldn't be moving here.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    And a whole lot of native Floridians retire to the southern Appalachians. (N. Ga. E.Tenn, West NC and SC).
    Tweeners.

10. Member
    No place on earth is the same as it use to be. Change happens.
    2017 Z521C with Evinrude G2 250 HO
    2020 RT198 with Merc 150 Pro XS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    My parents used to go up there for a couple of months during the summer. They would rent a place near Linnville, NC. They have not been for quite a few years. When I would visit them I was surprised by the amount of development and traffic even in what would seem to be a remote area.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknemo View Post
    Well anyone that has been here a long time knows that the spraying is the root cause of our declining fisheries and the health of the states entire ecosystem, so yes there is a lot of anger there. But then it's not just hate on people moving here because most have at some point, but its when they do and they want to make it just like where they came from, so they complain about the grass in their manicured housing developments, then the FWC uses these people to justify their continued onslaught of our lakes. New people moving here must realize that florida will not be like where they are coming from, so if they dont like that then they shouldn't be moving here.
    This is EXACTLY correct. My parents live in a development on Lake Griffin. They tell me all the time how the snowbirds come down and then stay permanently complaining the whole way. "These lakes have too many weeds" "We dont have this many weeds in the lake back home" "There's so many alligators here because of all the weeds "

These are the people FWC props up as justification for their scorched Earth approach to weed control.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    We could sure use a handful like this one:

Unknown-3.jpeg
    Absolutely. Clemente was great. Was a big Pirates fan growing up.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppin' Frog View Post
    This is EXACTLY correct. My parents live in a development on Lake Griffin. They tell me all the time how the snowbirds come down and then stay permanently complaining the whole way. "These lakes have too many weeds" "We dont have this many weeds in the lake back home" "There's so many alligators here because of all the weeds "

These are the people FWC props up as justification for their scorched Earth approach to weed control.
    Well poppin frog, just move them back to wherever they came from since they liked where they came from so much!!!! Problem solved and we won't have the FWC spraying because of complaints from transplants.

RangerJim…. looking forward to my big cod frosty adult beverage!

15. Moderator
    I felt the same when coming here. Definitely an animosity toward new people in Florida.

16. Member
    My grandmother and mother were born here. I was born abroad, military brat. But most of my life in Florida. And at 8 family moved to Plant City. Don't have a issue with people coming down, but hate what has become of things. And hate the ones that have no respect for others. I keep telling my neighbors from New Jersey, stay out of my yard. Have for a couple years now. And they run around talking crap about me to the neighbors. The way they are, they'll probably kill me in my sleep one night. They don't give a damn. Been a number of times now. Don't understand, stay off my property.
    Last edited by 250bassFL; 07-18-2020 at 07:18 AM.

It is what it is!!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    Well poppin frog, just move them back to wherever they came from since they liked where they came from so much!!!! Problem solved and we won't have the FWC spraying because of complaints from transplants.

RangerJim…. looking forward to my big cod frosty adult beverage!
    Will keep it in mind. Usually down there often but the whole Covid thing now. Daughter was in Jacksonville but is now in Gainesville working for UF.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post
    I felt the same when coming here. Definitely an animosity toward new people in Florida.
    Only if you come here and want to change our way of life and vote for the same stupid stuff that ruined where you came from. Case in point, my wife's uncle and his wife. Moved here from Michigan about 5 years ago...they think they are Floridian now. We took him out to lunch at a place on the Homosassa River and after we drove him around the area. Homosassa is a fishing town and always has been so lots of old boats in the yards and so forth. They wanted to call the county and have it all removed because THEY didn't like it...well it didn't end well for them as I explained it been like that for generations and thats the way they like it. Couldn't get it in their heads. That's the kind of stuff that upsets us.

Now on the other hand my best fishing pal in right out of Boston. Nice guy and knows what's going on. Not your typical "Mass" person.

20. Member
    I bought a place on the St Johns 4years ago my wife’s idea not mine. It was bank owned and had been vacant for 5 years I bought and fixed it up. We spend January through mid may there. Before that I had been coming to Florida for over 30 years. I understand your guys frustration but growth is happening everywhere. I see fish camps that have closed down or no longer in operation and it even saddens me but I will say this about myself I pride myself on my ethics and being a good Stewart of the land. Hell I haven’t kept any type of fish in 30 years. I will always respect your guys state and tread lightly!

Dave C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast