Best way to sell a Ranger 212LS?

Could someone direct me towards a “how to” of doing an online boat sale? I’m going to try and sell my 212LS Reata Fish and Ski and need some help. I’ve never done this before and everybody mentions low ballers, scams and tire kickers. All this makes me want to just trade it in and take a major beating along which is just as bad. I also don’t want it to get lost among the fifty 520C’s, etc that are listed under Ranger. Any help would be great. There aren’t very many used ones out there right now so I’d like to go for it while the timing is right. Thanks for your help.

I listed my 185 Reata on BBC five years ago and sold it in one day. You might get some tire kickers but just weed through them and let them know your price is firm. There are people looking for what you are selling. List all the options and a few pics and see what happens. The guy that bought my Reata drove all night from Minnesota to Oklahoma City to get it and paid cash. Good luck.

3. Member
    Thanks for your help. Is there any particular website that has a good history of selling boats. I know BBC for bass boats but I think it would get lost in there,
    Last edited by Patrnflyr; 07-16-2020 at 01:24 PM.

4. Member
    I would list mine on boattrader.com for sure. It’s a Ranger and worth it.
    I sold a Triton to a guy in Tennessee 10 years ago.
    There are always the tire kickers and lowball stuff, but in more recent years the level of scam activity is thru the roof for private party sales of cars and boats. So be prepared for that if you haven’t made a sale like this in a while.
    But it’s a seller’s market for boats so I think it’ll move, no question.
    good luck!
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

5. Member
    Any hints for the scammers? I know about the offers of “doubled the amount if I just cash his check because he’s a Nigerian prince“ stuff

6. Member
    Scammers are usually easy to spot.

Often w/ TXT messages, you will get a message like "Hi, I just saw your <the exact title to your post, including spaces, etc> for sale..." Often the message will be longer, and state details like they want to pay, have interest, etc. Often the english is not what a normal person would say or type, and you can usually sniff it out. For those types of things, I never reply even. Sometimes they will txt again, same exact message twice in a row.

Also, don't hestiate to google the area code the txt is coming from...I sold some stuff, and was pretty sure a txt w/ a Jamacian Area Code was not looking for a minnesota boat...just sayin...

I usually put words im my ads like "Local deals only, no scammers, will not ship. I prefer to deal by telephone, so call me at the number, and I will be happy to answer your questions."

Honestly, you shouldn't have much trouble sellng a good used rig right now, perfect time to do it.
    List your features, photos, be honest and show any blemishes, dock rash, seat tears, carpet spots, etc...this gives credibility to your potential buyers that you are truthful and honest.
    Also, posting on BBC is probably a good choice.

Walleye Central is good for posting Multi-Species boats here in the northland...I actually bought my 1850LS off of there.
    I would give BBC a shot too
    Craigslist is where you get the most bots responding, but you also get good offers there.
    I have had good luck lately with facebook marketplace too -- sold two waverunners that way 2 weeks ago.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrnflyr View Post
    Any hints for the scammers? I know about the offers of “doubled the amount if I just cash his check because he’s a Nigerian prince“ stuff
    Honestly the scams are more of an irritation and distraction than anything. For instance, when I sold our last vehicle I remember being at dinner with my wife’s family and got at least a handful of random texts saying essentially “That is obviously a well cared for vehicle. I will buy it”.
    Buying anything like this site unseen, and by text, is a scam.
    You’ll end up getting a good old persistent American person that keeps calling and wants to discuss it. Then you can meet them in a very public place. But I would play “hard to get” at first. The serious inquiries will keep calling. They may start as an email contact, but given today’s climate they will more than likely call.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

Pictures, PICTURES, P.I.C.T.U.R.E.S. !!!! From all sides, from top to bottom and a close up of any and all blemishes, scratches, and what ever is not as it's supposed to be !!! List EVERYTHING that is included and all options you've added that were not standard equipment. List it on any sites you frequent from miles away and local. BBC, Western Bass, Texas Bass, Boat Trader, and even Craig's List !! And, include the PRICE !!! (Did I mention, PICTURES ?)
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    Could someone direct me towards a “how to” of doing an online boat sale? I’m going to try and sell my 212LS Reata Fish and Ski and need some help. I’ve never done this before and everybody mentions low ballers, scams and tire kickers. All this makes me want to just trade it in and take a major beating along which is just as bad. I also don’t want it to get lost among the fifty 520C’s, etc that are listed under Ranger. Any help would be great. There aren’t very many used ones out there right now so I’d like to go for it while the timing is right. Thanks for your help.
    What year how much pics etc.

10. Member
    It's a '17 model. I can send a few pics if you want via messaging. Don't want to interfere with the normal threads. PM your number

11. Member
    Well, I’ve decided to go ahead and sell it. We’re having it detailed on Sunday and will list it after that. Probably BBC and boat trader. Thanks for all of your advice. I’ll watch for the scammers and do this very carefully. I can’t get time on the engine for a few weeks because all the mechanics are swamped

Well, I’ve decided to go ahead and sell it. We’re having it detailed on Sunday and will list it after that. Probably BBC and boat trader. Thanks for all of your advice. I’ll watch for the scammers and do this very carefully. I can’t get time on the engine for a few weeks because all the mechanics are swamped
    You shouldn’t have a problem selling it. I sold my Fish n Ski Skeeter SL210 on Craigslist with no problems and a lot of interested buyers. Sold it in a few days. People like fish n ski boats since it’s not one dimensional like a Bass boat. Good luck!

13. Member
    I took your advice and listed here and will do boat trader after it gets detailed tonight. Thank you everybody for your advice and I may come back here again if I get some weird offers��

14. Member
    I listed it here and boat trader and had a serious offer with deposit within 8hrs of listing. Several others are waiting in case it falls through. Thank you for the advice. I’m going to let his bank and my bank work out the particulars so I don’t think any scamming can be involved. It’s a great boat.

15. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Great news for you, Patrnflyr, and another testament to how well used Rangers sell. Letting the banks take care of the details sounds like a good idea!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

16. Member
    Well, I guess I should be moving on. The boat will be moving on, the bank has been funded and I have a different boat. We purchased a ‘16 Skeeter SX220 with Yamaha 250 SHO. Will take a little getting used to but should be a good match for our uses. Good luck Ranger gang and I’ll always have love for a Ranger

17. Member
    Well, I guess I should be moving on. The boat will be moving on, the bank has been funded and I have a different boat. We purchased a ‘16 Skeeter SX220 with Yamaha 250 SHO. Will take a little getting used to but should be a good match for our uses. Good luck Ranger gang and I’ll always have love for a Ranger
    Enjoy the new ride, and c'mon back when you get tired of the Skeeter Bites
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D