My Ghost is no longer possessed!

Won't stow properly. (Sometimes almost correct, sometimes prop first, sometimes this way sometimes that) (I've factory reset it and started over five times now)
    Won't update via Bluetooth. (Tried that five times) Connects but update won't install.

I installed this on my RT188 step by step, by the book, been through the entire Lowrance app troubleshooting. Tried everything inside and outside of my 24x36 'metal' shop in case the metal siding was causing issues?! Re-positioned the heading sensor etc..

It's level, all wiring is 100% correct. No NMEA connections (don't use it), just power to the unit, the heading sensor attached and factory transducer to the HDS Gen3, as simple an install as you can get. Haven't gotten past the stow and update issues to even get it wet and calibrate the heading sensor. Also, saw a video from some guys in Australia? The Lowrance rep with them performed a "pedal configuration" step that is not outlined in my owner's manual?? According to another video, this step is done at the factory now? My concern is the factory resets wiped that out? I tapped out. Will call Lowrance in the morning and get it on the water to try and configure everything one more time.
    Last edited by 8theB8; 07-16-2020 at 01:32 PM.

2. Member
    Yeah, sounds like your auto stow is definately out of whack. Never had a problem with mine always goes left or right.

I'm pretty much used to the servo sound from the head. I'm still having issues hitting the continuous on button, I may have to reprogram that one if possible. What I cannot get used to is when bump a stump or something and the motor starts going crazy like it doesn't know which way to go, just sit still already and I'll tell it which way I want it to go in a minute, darn thing is going to throw me out of the boat or beach me one of these days
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

Close friend of mine has one and he's had all kinds of issues. It's a shame.

4. Banned
    Have you done the bow offset calibration? It’s done while on the trailer, the TMC calibration is done on the water.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mysuzytoo View Post
    Close friend of mine has one and he's had all kinds of issues. It's a shame.
    Like anything else there are technology problems. My Ghost has worked flawlessly, any issues I have had have been self inflicted and not an issue with the unit.

6. Member
    sounds like you haven't done any of the calibrations after the install.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    sounds like you haven't done any of the calibrations after the install.
    I didn't catch that the install was done inside and outside his shop. Unless he was dragging the boat around the yard with a truck or tractor need to get the boat on the water to do the calibrations.

Make sure the software is updated also.

8. Member
    Ok, here's the official breakdown and a very important piece of information if you intend to install this motor yourself:

Installed the motor after work Tuesday night.
    Performed the bow offset. (it stowed properly)
    Was 2am so I shut everything down and went to bed.
    Turned everything on Wednesday morning, went to show it to my wife...it deployed perfectly, when I went to stow it, it spun too far the wrong way and wanted to land on the prop blade.
    I re-deployed...deploy worked again....went to stow=no go. Wife went back inside and I fiddled with it for about 15 more minutes.
    Decided to do the 'FACTORY RESET' AS OUTLINED IN THE MANUALS. (I used caps for those that just skim and comment lol).
    Performed bow offset procedure again....same issue arose.
    Reset again...same issue again etc.

This is where the major head scratching started! RESEARCHED for a couple hours. Found the video outlining the "foot pedal calibration". This is NOT outlined in the instructions anywhere as it's done at the factory now. Decided to get the boat on the water and Lowrance on the phone today (Thursday).

Here's the outcome:
    Tested stow and deploy...same issue still occurring. (not 'every' time btw)
    He had me check the tension knob on the head unit, which I had not done and I got it one turn tighter.
    Same stow and deploy issues after.
    We performed another factory reset (to start completely from scratch)
    ***Performed foot pedal configuration.***
    Performed bow offset configuration.
    Performed heading sensor calibration.
    Selected the correct transducer option for my HDS 12 Gen3. Which is HDI M/H-9 for anyone that needs it.
    Everything seems to have worked and Cory (sp?) with Lowrance support was AWESOME and very patient! I cannot over stress how much I appreciated his professionalism!

Got off the phone with Lowrance and ran the motor around for a while....everything seemed to work fine. There are definitely some things for me to get used to:
    The robotic sounding head, cool and weird all at the same time.
    The fly by wire technology. While very responsive, the directional arrows always seem to be trying to adjust to line back up with the motor housing. Different, but that I can get used to.
    My assumption also was that the auto stow only went ONE direction....apparently, judging by the reply above, it can stow either direction? As I got back to the gravel boat launch and went to stow the motor, it spun to where the prop blade would hit again...I quickly re-deployed, leveled the foot control, pulled it back out and it stowed properly. Possibly just a quirk I have to adjust to?

My reason for towing the boat out of the shop during the initial calibrations Wednesday was to eliminate any chance that the metal building I was in was somehow negatively affecting the magnets in the head? Lack of food, frustration and desperation were also factors ha ha.

If you perform a factory reset...as outlined in the manuals...you will need to re-calibrate the pedal....NOT outlined in the manuals! I only found one video online that even mentions it. My video will mention it in more detail! Also, check the tension knob out of the box, simple thing that could make a difference.

Thanks for the replies! I have not tried the Bluetooth update again yet (it doesn't really apply to me as I don't run the units affected) At this point I'm going to roll with it and see how it goes.
    Last edited by 8theB8; 07-17-2020 at 01:15 PM.

9. Member
    Glad to hear that you got it straightened out, seems like they threw the book at it.

Only reason I know that motor will stow either way is my partner pulled it up once and it stowed left. I'm so used to stowing my old fortrex to the right that I'm sure I move the pedal as I'm pulling the motor up out of habit

10. Member
    It was a process for sure.

Kinda weird it's not mentioned as a possibility in the manuals but oh well. Had it out this morning for a five hour shakedown and this happened...

Last edited by 8theB8; 07-18-2020 at 10:47 PM.

11. Member
    Here's my install video if anyone is interested. I believe the final wrap up starts at 24 minutes if you don't care or need to see the install.

12. Member
    As far as the indicator arrow sticking and being jerky, call Lowrance again and they should send you a new teflon button. Pop the arrow out of the head with a pry tool, remove the black button, clean the area with alcohol and replace with the white button. It will smooth it out quite a bit.

13. Member
    I sent you a PM with a couple questions.
    Allen

2011 Ranger Z520
    2020 Mercury 4-Stroke Pro XS 250

Rebel Bass Club

http://rebelbass.webstarts.com/

Gone Fishing

14. Member
    PM replied, did it help?

15. Member
    Did you update the software in the Ghost?
    ciao,
    Marc

16. Member
    Replied in another thread but even with the help of Lowrance, unit does not accept update. It's repair shop time or get NMEA2000 set up to try and sd card it. Not going to worry about it now. Carbons are working great on the update! Ghost is working great! Just gonna fish and deal with it later.

17. Member
    8theB8 just wanted to say thanks for the pedal calibration info. Been on the water 3 times since and the motor positions flat when stowed every time.
    Allen

2011 Ranger Z520
    2020 Mercury 4-Stroke Pro XS 250

Rebel Bass Club

http://rebelbass.webstarts.com/

Gone Fishing