Thread: Sturgeon Bay

Sturgeon Bay

Looking to drive out and spend a week on Sturgeon Bay herein 3 weeks. Jus wonder how fishing is that time of year and any advice. PM if you would like.

2. Member
    Watching Bass Pro Tour?
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

3. Member
    Not being a smarty, but bring a drop shot, and maybe pick up a pack of Berkley maxscent flat worms lol. In all honesty the fish can really spread out in summer time. Largemouth fishing can be consistent towards Green Bay and smallmouth will probably be better the further north you go. In all honesty, I’d plan on fishing Big Green or further north, pelican or Metonga. The fish will be a bit easier to find this time of year. Granted I’m not a smallmouth expert, just what I’ve experienced.

4. Member
    Im concentrating on big smallies. I wanted to fish st clair but i heard the fishings not so great on the US side and Canada side is closed off. So Sturgeon Bay, Erie, or Mille Lacs Lake is my choices.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazerguy View Post
    Im concentrating on big smallies. I wanted to fish st clair but i heard the fishings not so great on the US side and Canada side is closed off. So Sturgeon Bay, Erie, or Mille Lacs Lake is my choices.
    MLF just had a tournament on Sturgeon Bay for at least 5 days. Tournament ended today. Not one 6# bass was caught and only a couple 5# lbers. You honestly may be better off on Mille Lacs, plus it's closer to you.
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

6. Member
    I'll be there also, Aug 1-15.. never been this time of year, normally go spring time when its windy and cold, but watching the MLF opened my eyes to some new areas I'm going to try..
    2018 Crestliner PT20
    2018 Evinrude G2 200 H.O.
    Duel 8' PP blades
    Atlas hydraulic jackplate

Summer to fall is my favorite time to fish the bay. It's the time of the year to follow currents and food and then find mega schools of footballs. To me spring gets boring and the pressure is high as well. Come summer there are still guys fishing but everyone is spread out doing their own thing and not just beating beds or prespawners.

8. Member
    Would you guys choose sturgeon bay over traverse city in Michigan last part of sept?

9. Member
    I just came back from traverse. Not recommending one over the other but traverse weather wise gives you more opportunities to fish.
    Nitro z21

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    Summer to fall is my favorite time to fish the bay. It's the time of the year to follow currents and food and then find mega schools of footballs. To me spring gets boring and the pressure is high as well. Come summer there are still guys fishing but everyone is spread out doing their own thing and not just beating beds or prespawners.
    the man knows what he’s saying right here ^^^^^
    I just got back from Sturgeon Bay. 2 days hunting and 1 day catching. Once found in the shifting currents, it’s game on! The schools are large but VERY NOMADIC in the changing conditions.