Did I damage my prop?

To make a long story short...I had to cross a 200 yard stretch the other day on plane to access a little creek. While making the run I missed the very narrow stretch I needed to be in by a few feet and felt the skeg dragging in the mud. I also bumped a few objects along the way although nothing seemed to hard. I was in some pretty skinny water because if I wasn't going 55 I would have been stuck until the tide came in. So that's what happened and here is my issue...

I'm running a 24p Trophy Plus on a 285 Stratos with a 175 Pro XS. I have a hydraulic jack plate and normally run the motor on #2 on the jack plate gauge although I can run it as high as #3 while on plane and still have decent water pressure. No matter where I run the motor, I have never had a rooster tail even when fully trimmed out. After this incident of getting into the creek my boat seems to be running different. I now have a rooster tail that is just below the top of the cowling when running the motor at #2. On top of that, if I run the motor any higher, my water pressure falls of drastically. It is as if my setup has completely changed.

I figure I need a water pump because who knows what I did to it when I went though all that mud at high speeds but what is up with the rooster tail? Could I have damaged the prop in a way that is giving the prop more stern lift to the point where I am surfacing the prop to create a rooster tail? I have inspected the prop and have found no cracks. Could 88 degree water and 90 degree air temperature cause this even though the prop wasn't doing this a week ago with similar water/weather conditions?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Get it to a shop to have a pressure and vacuum test of the LU and a prop shaft runout test. More than likely you have damage but you need to know for sure before your lower unit blows up completely. Your insurance will cover it now but may not later.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    I had not even thought about a bent prop shaft but that makes sense. I am going to purchase a dial indicator tomorrow to check. I will report back.

4. Member
    Got the dial indicator. Shaft measured .025 so definitely bent. Took it to the shop and filed an insurance claim. Thank you for the good advice! Should be up and running here soon.

5. Member
    Which creek on the Potomac did you try to get in. I used to run there and only had one place like that and that was in the back of Pohick bay.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmanucr View Post
    Got the dial indicator. Shaft measured .025 so definitely bent. Took it to the shop and filed an insurance claim. Thank you for the good advice! Should be up and running here soon.
    What tool did you use and did you have any skeg damage? I did almost the exact same thing running into a river mouth on Kerr, didn’t notice any physical damage even though I felt and herd some rock dings and the very next day spun a hub - now the hub was 23 years old, but this has me wondering...

7. Member
    Like he said, the tool is a "dial indicator".

8. Member
    I did not have any skeg damage other than some missing paint. Dial indicator can be had at a lot of different stores. It was really easy to use. I was unsure of how to use it at first but a quick YouTube video had me fixed up.