Summer time Deep Cranking Highland Reservoirs ?

How do you go about targeting largemouth in the heat of summer on highland reservoirs & best locations for deep cranking this time of year? I'm struggling getting bit on these type lakes before dark right now, but when darkness comes i can catch fish pretty regularly & them being decent fish too. What do you guys suggest i do before dark now? Thanks

Find everyone's brush piles!

3. Dogfish_Jones
    Two ways I target them in the heat is
    1- creek/river channels / Here I am looking at depths of 20' to 40', but I try to find the best intersection if in a river channel where a creek bed runs into it. I use the Spro 25+ crankbait in the Angry shad color. I reel it fairly slow to keep it down there longer. So far this has been my best technique to bring them into the boat.
    2- I look for humps that has deep water near by. When I look for deeper water, I tend to focus on a creek channel along side the hump. It might be just a 10' quick drop or in some cases I see where it might drop as much as 30' in a 10' section from the hump. I find this to be where I will hit more in the morning time than any of the other times of the day.
    What makes it even harder is when those bass are suspended then you have to try differant type crankbaits that will stay in that depth the longest.

4. Member
    150HP Merc Black Max

5. Member
    Stay off my brushpiles Les
    They aint got hands, set the hook

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Stay off my brushpiles Les
    Believe me buddy when i say I don't have a clue where they are. Of course if i'd start scanning & cranking i bet i could find some of somebodys.

7. Member
    Thanks guys. I guess i need to leave the jig rod at home.

8. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Thanks guys. I guess i need to leave the jig rod at home.
    Not really, you can use a swimming jig with a nice trailer attached to it. Depending on your depth go with a 3/4 to 1 oz jig. Just bump it across the bottom and give it an upward jerk a few times along the way.
    You can always try a drop shot too. If you find a good stack of them on ledges or suspended try a spoon.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    Not really, you can use a swimming jig with a nice trailer attached to it. Depending on your depth go with a 3/4 to 1 oz jig. Just bump it across the bottom and give it an upward jerk a few times along the way.
    You can always try a drop shot too. If you find a good stack of them on ledges or suspended try a spoon.
    I've really been thinking cranking, spoon or blade bait when i see the schools of bait with fish in them. I know something like this is going on from the big fish & bags i'm seeing in a lot of tournaments. They'renot coming on the standard jig, worm etc. or i'd be catching them too. I'm catching good fish just not the size the certain few guys are.

10. Dogfish_Jones
    What tactic that has really improved my weight on bass so far this year is cranking my Spro 25+ crankbait slowly across the bottom of a creek channel. Last week I did that on Logan Martin which is heavily populated with Spots and I caught all largemouth in excess of 3 lbs one reaching the 4 lb mark.
    I will be trying that same approach this Saturday at our club tournament on a lake I have only fished one time at Lake Mitchell (which I really only eliminated bad spots, did not find any good one...yet) and hope that it works as well there.
    Really if you just try to simplify things, bass in the summer are usually in three places. 1- channels, 2- humps, 3- grass. That is my simple way of looking at it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    What tactic that has really improved my weight on bass so far this year is cranking my Spro 25+ crankbait slowly across the bottom of a creek channel. Last week I did that on Logan Martin which is heavily populated with Spots and I caught all largemouth in excess of 3 lbs one reaching the 4 lb mark.
    I will be trying that same approach this Saturday at our club tournament on a lake I have only fished one time at Lake Mitchell (which I really only eliminated bad spots, did not find any good one...yet) and hope that it works as well there.
    Really if you just try to simplify things, bass in the summer are usually in three places. 1- channels, 2- humps, 3- grass. That is my simple way of looking at it.
    Dogfish thanks. No humps or grass on this lake just deep points, bluff ends , drops into the channel & some rock piles in some places. Most rock piles are on shore though or not very deep.

12. Dogfish_Jones
    Depth or channel can be relative to what you have in that lake. If the lake yopu are fishing is 30' deep then a hump well could be only a 5 to 10' rise in depth.
    Long points are consider humps when you are far enough away from the bank, at least for me it is. If I were in that situation your mentioned, I would really find those long points that are closest to any creek channel and start there. Those area where you said, "drops into the channel and some rock piles in some places", that's my starting point!

13. Member
    Yep point and rockpiles are where I’ll start too. Thanks

14. Member
    Reel your baits FAST to get a reaction bite when they are not feeding.