Electrical current in water

2. Member
    Just saw this on the news. Just a shame.

Sad deal, for sure. Electricity on a dock is a scary deal. Wondering what code requires, GFI would be required, I'd hope.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Definitely bad.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

There are BIG SIGNS at our marina warning people not to jump in the water around their boats, or work under the water line in the slips. It's a big no no at our marina..and a violation of the tenant agreement. They fined my old neighbor for being in water at slip scrubbing off zebra's.. There are tons of connections and docks are constantly moving. Things break, water gets energized etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Sad deal, for sure. Electricity on a dock is a scary deal. Wondering what code requires, GFI would be required, I'd hope.
    Much more than that, but there are a lot of things powered..pumps etc. The transformer on the end of our dock is probably 3'x3'X6'.

7. Member

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    2020 NEC has some changes to address marina wiring. Won’t help these folks, but hopefully it will reduce the number of these incidents.

Bonding of all the metal parts along with much more ground fault protection, including the shore power feeds to try to cover for crappy wiring and faulty equipment on the boats themselves.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

It is probably a issue at any marina, and worse at any marina that looks dilapidated. It is more common than most would think.

10. Member
    CatFan,

What are these upcoming changes to the 2020 NEC? We are fixing to have a boathouse built and we want it SAFE!!!!!!!
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kailor View Post
    CatFan,

What are these upcoming changes to the 2020 NEC? We are fixing to have a boathouse built and we want it SAFE!!!!!!!
    I’m not certain of the details. When I worked, I had access to copies of the code and some training materials, but it isn’t so easy anymore without paying for access.

i believe the three major areas addressed are:

Bonding of all non-current carrying metallic items. That would include docks, walkways, poles, railings etc.. Bonding is simply connecting all such items together with a wire. Bonding improves safety by prevent voltage differences that can cause current to flow in the water and in swimmers. I don’t know the details of how they are to be connected or what kind of wire is to be used. You may struggle to find an electrician who wants to mess with it until inspectors force them to.

GFCIs everywhere. Generally limited to to 30mA trip level.

Availability of a leakage current measuring device. This addresses the fact that most electrical leakage issues at marinas are caused by boats, and that the NEC does not apply to the electrical systems on boats meaning local code inspectors have no jurisdiction. I envision this being used as a periodic check for long-term slip occupants and probably a check upon hookup for transient boaters.

In some other areas of the 2020 code, periodic re-inspections are authorized, and grandfathering is specifically disallowed. I don’t know if that is the case for the marina section.
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    I am generally in favor of grandfather clauses but in this case, I am against allowing grandfathering, too many fatalaties.

Sad deal.

It turns out the 2 dead men were related to folks that have property at the lake community I have property at.

And talk about scary coincidence, they’ve detected the water in one of the coves is carrying an electrical charge and they’re warning to stay out of that cove.

15. idbefishing
    I wonder if you fish a dock with energized water you would get shocked.

16. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    I wonder if you fish a dock with energized water you would get shocked.
    Just fishing, even in a metal boat, likely not unless the voltage is really high. Being shockEd requires current flow and that means being in contact with multiple points with different voltages. Grounded water and an energized ladder, energized water and grounded dock, or a large current flowing in the water resulting in a voltage gradient.

Water with dissolved solids being a conductor makes the likelihood of shock much greater, but the real issue is that even a relatively minor shock that probably wouldn’t harm you otherwise can kill you if it disables you so that you can’t swim.

I believe with NFPA guidance in the form of the NEC, you’ll see a push by insurers to get marinas to upgrade their electrical systems.
    nothing else matters.​

17. Member
    Happened at a local lake marina here a few years back.I try and tell people dont touch anything metal as i take boat under docks.