Foward/Reverse switch on old trolling motor

Hello. I have an old trolling motor,looks like from the 70's or 80's,and the F/R switch finally went out. I bought a new switch from Home Depot,a Gardner Bender GSW-16 ON/OFF/ON that has 6 blades on the back. I connected the original 4 wires on the T motor and it runs fine in forward(both low and high speed). My question is can I somehow use that new switch to also provide reverse? The old switch only had 4 blades on back and some X shaped flatbars,which I assume provided the reverse action somehow. Or should I just buy a switch that is built for "Reversing" action? TIA

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Odds are your power goes in on the two center terminals, then out on one end. The other end will have jumpers that cross over going to the output terminals. Pictures would be a big help.

I’d be glad to talk you through it via PM or by phone if you want.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I am sure I have the switch you are looking for. I will send you a PM and you can send a picture to the email address provided, I will contact you if it is correct.

4. Member
    silver-gardner-bender-switches-gsw-16-e1_1000.jpgHeres the new one I bought,and an old one on ebay thats just like my old one. I suppose I need to use 2 jumper wires but I dont know which terminals to hook them to. switch.jpg My 4 wires are a red and black from battery,another black one going to hi/lo switch and green one down the shaft to motorhead.