Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Why the "Chippyness" between Americans and Canadians??

I didn't want to hijack another thread, so I'm starting this to ask a legitimate question.

Why all the snyde remarks and chippy comments between Canadians and Americans? I guess I just don't get it.

I'll set the table a bit: I'm married to a Canadian woman who's originally from Alberta. She now has dual Citizenship in both countries. All but one of my in-laws still live in Canada, in various places including Alberta, Ontario and Manitoba. My BIL is a consultant in the oil-patch (works contracts for BP, mostly in the Middle East, Northern Africa and Brazil) and lives in Rocky Mountain House. He's about as redneck as it gets, is a hunting and fishing guide on the side, lives in a NICE log home on 160 acres outside of Rocky, etc. One of the toughest SOBs I've ever met. Another SIL lives in Toronto.

My wife and I both work for a Canadian company (Bombardier) and I've spent literally years working in Toronto and Montreal. I'm the program manager for an aircraft, flown and owned by the United States Air Force that supports the war-fighters of the U.S. Military with battlefield communications capability. Ever see "Lone Survivor"? Remember that they couldn't establish comms with J-Bad to let them know they were in contact with the enemy? Well, this aircraft and system were a response to that incident that cost the lives of 19 Americans. Know what?? It's built in and based on a CANADIAN manufactured airframe. It's called an E-11A Battlefield Airborne Communications Node. Think of it as a flying cell tower. And I have many Canadian friends who are straight up good people. So, I have a fairly unique perspective on U.S./Canadian relations.

I'm a very proud American. I'm a veteran of the U.S. Navy. I believe myself to be a very "heartland" kind of guy. Hunt/fish/ enjoy the outdoor life, etc. That said, I'm the FIRST guy to admit how screwed up the U.S. is right now. The U.S. is still the best country on the planet. No question. But does that mean that the opinion of the U.S. from non-Americans is invalid?? Certainly not. If anything, it's good perspective to hear to better understand how America is viewed in the international community. Canadians' (or citizens of other countries as well) opinions are perfect relevant and are something we should want to hear.

I've traveled extensively in my life and career and can tell you that in many countries, Americans are seen as a bunch of azzhats. And, I think we've earned that through "chest pounding" and always acting like we're better than others. Pride in our homeland is one thing, but acting like we're better than other nationalities' is something else.

Now, is Canada the "end-all, be-all"? No. Not at all. Canada has it's own share of problems and issues. PM Trudeau is a boob IMHO. And in most areas outside of major cities and Quebec, he's not well liked. Sometimes the Canadian Political scene is a joke, but so is the system in the U.S., especially right now!! If I were in another country, and I saw the daily political crap that goes on in the U.S., I'd laugh my A$$ off! POTUS tweeting all the time!?!? A.O.C. and the madness from "the squad"!?!? I don't care which side of the aisle you're on, it's actually embarrassing to me as an American.

I love this country, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. But, if I did, I'd want to live in Canada. Alberta (away from Calgary and Edmonton of course), Ontario (anywhere north of Barrie or anywhere near the Soo) and Quebec (north of Montreal around Mirabel) is some of the most beautiful country on earth and absolutely FULL of great people.

I thought about not even posting this, and if the mods see fit, please delete it or lock it. But it just seems to me that Americans and Canadians pissing up each others' backs is stupid and silly. All of this is just my opinion and my $.02 Have a great day all!

I dont see it

3. Member
    League City, TX/Lake Sam Rayburn (Rayburn Country)
    I’ve worked with many Canadians over the years based on my past job.

Large city Canadians are very regulation minded. They like rules and regulation. They have a different mindset than us headstrong don’t tell me what to do Americans.

We have a culture in this country that is moving closer to that regulation minded model. With that said many of us will push back hard at some point in time.

4. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Who controls John Gill?

5. Banned
    Had a flight over Canada on my way to a job in Alaska

6. Member
    I really have never witnessed any animosity. Well other than the aforementioned hockey fight.

7. Member
    Very accurate statement and assessment. We border Windsor and it's often thought of a suburb of the Detroit area. In our situation either side is happy about the closure we admittedly had every opportunity to "fix" this Covid problem and crapped the bed with our arrogance. It starts at the top with our non-existent leadership on both sides of our political landscape.

I'm lucky enough to work for a global organization and have regular contact with people in Canada, Germany, France, Italy, China and points in between. The stark reality is this country has taken a huge step backward in terms of leadership and esteem throughout the world. We are borderline laughable from global perspective.

8. Banned
    Bc and YT are a completely different deal. They don"t much like the eastern side areas and bad mouth them more than anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    I dont see it
    I don't see it either, have a number of friends down from all over the states and we always have a good time fishing together or when not shooting the breeze over the phone. Most cases we stay away from political views instead trading techniques, colours of baits and everything else that will help us fishing to land the big one. If my friends need a place to stay they know they are always welcome if ewe have room as well I know that if I am down south I am always welcome plus tag along to fish their favorite places down there.
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

10. Member
    quite honestly Mizzou, I think it boils down to Canadians wanting better from our neighbors. If your next door neighbor and best friend was visibly slipping you'd probably be expressing some concern as well. Of course your neighbor has every right to say "mind your own business" but if his "seemingly avoidable" problems results in the upkeep of his house to start slacking, The grass starts getting long, the gardens are full of weeds you might feel like the curb appeal is suffering.

I dont need to explain this to you though because by reading your post, you clearly get it.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

I don't see it at all Mark. I'm not exactly sure what you're basing it on. Many thousands of Canadians stay in Florida, etc., in the winter months and many Americans come up to Canada to vacation, shop, fish, etc.
    I've seen it a bit over the years on here from some individuals that simply don't like the fact that Al from Canada is from Canada.
    I've never understood why it makes a difference but apparently to some it does.

But overall I really don't see what you're referring to.

12. Member
    I don't know many Canadians but the ones I have met have all been very nice down to earth people. We took a short trip up into BC one time and everybody we encountered were very welcoming.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

The two countries are like brothers , mess with one you better watch the other . And yes there are arguments between the two but so what .

14. Member
    No different than northerners vs southerners and west coast vs east coast or lowlands vs mountains. Just friendly rivalry is all I take at as.

15. Member
    It could be the constant inflated american ego, double standards, Americans knowing canadians because they worked with a few... gets old...

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SAL321 View Post
    Very accurate statement and assessment. We border Windsor and it's often thought of a suburb of the Detroit area. In our situation either side is happy about the closure we admittedly had every opportunity to "fix" this Covid problem and crapped the bed with our arrogance. It starts at the top with our non-existent leadership on both sides of our political landscape.

I'm lucky enough to work for a global organization and have regular contact with people in Canada, Germany, France, Italy, China and points in between. The stark reality is this country has taken a huge step backward in terms of leadership and esteem throughout the world. We are borderline laughable from global perspective.
    We have taken a huge step forward from the previous eight year joke. The cronyism is being squashed, no more little hunters getting paid millions from foreign companies, no more “community organizer/instigators” teleprompter readers. Yeah, the joke is over and our economy is still the envy of the world.

I don’t know anyone that has given a second thought about Canada’s political leadership, can’t say the same about a couple Canadians on this site. Personally I love that our leadership bypasses the lame stream,fraudulent media on twitter. I can’t wait to see the pink hats marching and screaming at sky in November either

18. Member
    I love Canada and I'm from Nashville. Moved here in 1998 to go to work for Nortel Networks and I spent many months in Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal before the demise of a great company. I always enjoyed my trips, particularly to Ottawa in the winter months. Now I work for a wood products manufacturing company and we have manufacturing plants in Quebec, Manitoba and British Columbia. I love going to those places out in the heartland of the Provinces. Great people, outstanding scenery and good food.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    That is an example of Canadian Swedish chippiness.

Or more accurately good guy versus a douchbag.

20. Member
    I've got relatives in Alberta as well, and I've never had any issues with any Canadians I've met. However I couldn't agree with you more on the rest or your post regarding how other countries view Americans. I don't really care what people in other countries think about me, but I must agree that it can make travel abroad difficult if not dangerous. I wholeheartedly agree with your perception of our political system and of those who are "attempting" to lead from all sides. figured I'd get in since Al let this one slide...
    2016 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    250 Pro XS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast