2000 Pro Craft 205

Ok guys. Im brand new to bass boats. Bought a 2000 Pro Craft 205 Merc 150 efi to fiah with my 2 sons (12&14). Boat seems solid, new seats, new carpet, 2 garmin 93sv’s. Clearly its no speedster but I think it may be able to do more. Has a 21p prop. No jack plate.
    Also not sure about fuel capacity, seems to not take but 10-12gals to fill up on 1/4 tank but I was told it had 44gal tank.
    I researched the bbc forums all over but I didnt see much specific to 2000 205. Esp with a 150.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. Member
    I think that boat can handle a 200 or a 225 motor
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply! It is rated for a 225, but the 150 is in great shape and I’m not looking for much more speed since the sons will be out in it in a year or 2. I would prefer to fine tune it as is for now and repower when needed if the rest of it stays solid.

4. Member
    That 150 efi is a good motor
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

5. Member
    Thats what I hear. Seems to be so far. Thats why I was wonder if i could make a prop change Or even move the motor up or down a hole and not suffer too much of a drop off on hole shot.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    As said, the 150 EFI is a good motor, but it will never make that boat go fast.

Life and boat advice from somebody watching age 60 approaching:

12 and 14 year old kids will be gone in the blink of an eye. Forget making the boat go fast and put every effort into spending time with your kids.

I remember like yesterday holding my son for the first time and telling he was going to be my fishing buddy. We had some great times together fishing, hunting, hiking and sitting around a campfire. He’s 27 now and two days drive away. Haven’t seen him since Christmas or fished with him in over a year. He never mentions how fast my boat is, but he talks about the camping food and our adventures on the lake and in the woods all of the time.

10 years from now, you’ll be an empty nester and can spend as much time as you want making the boat go fast.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Thanks for the reply Catfan! Solid advice! Thats the whole reason we have the boat is to spend time with them before we are old news and they arent that interested in fishing with dad! Also thats part of the reason for the original question, just a way to tinker with the boat together with the sons. Im def not looking to make the boat go fast. It will do 48 now with me and both boys I was just looking for ways to tinker and maybe get 50. Both boys are having a blast spending time with it and they like to tinker and see the results when we go out.
    Again, thanks for the advice and reminder of what is to come.

8. Member
    I have a 1998 astro 2000 dc I believe it just about a twin to the 205. Mine does have a 44 gal tank and I'm running a 200hp efi merc with a 6 inch plate. I had a 10 on it but did not like the way it handled and went back to the 6.
    J
    JUSTIN LAWSON
    IL ANG 183FW Retired SMSGT
    1998 ASTRO2000 DC[Hooter Scooter] 200MERC EFI TRO4 23P
    Engine by Jay Smith Racing

9. Member
    I have the same boat with a 225 Merc and 6" plate. Great fishing boat and I like the large livewells and roominess of the boat. The built in cooler doesn't keep ice very long but that's my only complaint. I think a jackplate will help but as stated that EFI is a great motor so just maintain it and enjoy fishing with the boys

10. Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. I may play with the jack plate idea eventually and see how it works out. I did find the plate on the fuel tank though. Says its a 45 gal. I assume the fuel gauge is just horribly wrong. Ran it on E for a while and still didnt take much to fill up. Started keeping the trip on the gps now... The more I run this boat the more I like it. We have had duck boats, in shore saltwater boats, off shore boats, and ski boats for my whole life and rarely have I liked the way one rides and fishes as I do this one! Too bad they stopped making them. Days like yesterday on the AL river fishing with the boys make it that much better!