Thread: Kentucky Lake

Kentucky Lake

Kentucky Lake must really be sucking as nobody posts anything at all this summer. Are guys still catching any fish? Making the trip down for 3 days in a few weeks, any help on where to start?

2. Member
    I was down last week. Only got to fish a couple days do to the heat. We caught a few fish but they weren’t pulling any water to speak of and the ledge fish weren’t very active. Still a good week of vacation though

3. Member
    I was mainly on Barkley

4. Member
    Always enjoy my time down there. Just makes it a little better if you can catch a few fish along the way

5. Member
    Couldn’t agree more

6. Member
    Supposedly night bite is decent
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Have to be a dedicated fisherman to be out in this heat. Takes the fun out of it.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Went 2 weekends ago, Paris area.. July 3rd. They were pulling current hard. Of course a lot of Boat traffic. Started off slow, had 2 or 3 fish, one good one, fishing out, Deep bite was challenging.. which really surprised me with the amount of current they were generating, marked some fish, in usual places, but really couldn't get them to eat at all... Decided to change gears, got on a couple of current breaks along some bluff banks and points, Found some kind of shad chasing fry? I really don't remember seeing these shad before? We sat on these spots for a couple of hours and caught about 20 smaller fish that were chasing in very small packs.. maybe a few were barely keepers. Most in that 12"-14" range. Nothing to brag about but it was nice to get some bites and good to see some younger fish. Probably the most small fish I have caught in a day in a couple years on KY.

9. Member
    We were there for 10 days the last week of June first few days of July. Fishing was tough but we did manage a few decent fish. Probably a dozen or so in the 3 lb range but only one was in the 5 lb class. We did catch a bunch of 14-15 inch fish throwing senkos around deeper docks when the sun got up.

As far as ledge fishing went we found a few schools of 8-10 fish where you'd expect them to be at but (at least for us) once you got the 1st one the school would scatter. We never caught more then 2 out of a school before they'd shutdown.

What we found to work is going shallow and hitting the mayfly hatches early throwing mainly a fluke, then fishing gravel/chunk rock points with a ned and shakey head. Finally once the sun got high we'd go fish the 1st 3rd of pockets with docks throwing around docks with a whacky senko and a neko trick worm.

10. Member
    I fished the night of July 4. The weather was unreal clear.
    Full moon, lots of fireworks on the west bank of N. Ky.
    Bait ever where, the fishing was horrible. A 6lb drum
    was the trophy of the night. I'll take no fish in 70 deg
    night time anytime VS no fish in 90 deg daytime. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.