Mariner EFI hot start issue

Have a '97 mariner magnum 150 EFI. Motor starts fine when cold and runs great but if I shut down say after running back to the dock to load out when I come back to start it to trailer I have to crack the throttle halfway for about 10-15 seconds and ease off to keep it running (also smokes like a freight train and idles rough during this process) but once I take off it runs great and idles better after being opened up. This only happens when the motor is warm if I fish for 45 minutes or so it usually fires right up. I just replaced the spark plugs and they all looked really good. Been reading that I may have a bad check valve in the oil injection system. Wondering which one I'm looking for? Tracing the oil lines from the remote tank one runs to a fitting on the bottom of the block(parts diagrams says pulse fitting) and the other to the 3 way tee and then the small oil tank(only 2 lines coming off this fitting bottom is open). According to parts diagrams this is just a vent fitting and the only one that actually says check valve is the one on top of the fuel filter housing but that doesn't seem like that one could cause oil to be pushed into the fuel to me. Thanks in advance and I apologise I'm unable to add a picture of what I'm looking at.

You have heat soak. You need a new water pump, thermostats, rebuild the poppet valve and flush the block extremely well. Try letting your motor idle for a minute or so after a run and see if it helps. If so follow my advice above.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

3. Member
    Appreciate it! I Put a new water pump in this spring

Replace the poppet valve kit and thermostats then. Did you replace the metal liner in the water pump housing and the wear plate below it?

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

The smoke though sounds like your running rich, i think your on the right track. Might post in the merc forum to get more traction. Always a good idea to check thermostats and the poppet valves.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. #FRB
    Make sure to post the serial number if you post in the Mercury forum otherwise the only answer you'll get is to read the "before you post" thread at the top of the page.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

The smoke is from the gas cooking off in the fuel rails from heat soak leaving more oil than gas

8. Member
    Will definitely take a look at the poppet and t stats, motor had sat for awhile and the pee stream at idle was weak the first couple of trips even after replacing impeller but the last 2 times out it had a solid stream at idle. Always has been strong when on plane

Next time you go fishing, after a run let it idle while you get your stuff ready like 1-2mins and see if it helps then let us know

10. Member
    Will do hopefully this weekend

11. Member
    This is probably a stupid question but where exactly is the poppet valve? Thermostats are right on top of each head

Quote Originally Posted by Sheps78 View Post
    This is probably a stupid question but where exactly is the poppet valve? Thermostats are right on top of each head
    No dumb questions. It is located under the skirt between the cowling and midsection. It is a flat plate, figure 8 shaped. It is on the starboard side of the motor (drivers side)

2B57663B-83EE-4B82-A84A-B0EC2A2570AA.jpeg

you can see it here with the cover off right under the switchboxes. Look for a water hose going into a removable cover

14. Member
    Sorry it's been awhile since I got back with you. I put in a new fuel line/bulb and new fuel filter and took it out last week and it did great air temp was 65-70 and water was about 80*. Went out this afternoon water was 80* and air temp was 80-100* this afternoon, boat gave me trouble after running again without idling. When we left i took it real slow through the no wake zone back to the ramp and shut it down, took about 15 minutes in line to get my trailer in and the boat fired right up and did every time we fished a spot for at least an hour so will definitely put new tstats and poppet in.

Thanks for the update. Keep em coming

16. Member
    Will do it will probably be another weekend or 2 before I get to run it with new parts

17. Member
    Have u replaced all ur fuel lines already? We been seeing a lot of hot start issues no matter grand and it’s been fuel lines normally

Would be in your best interest to post this on the 2.5 L mercury forum and be sure to include your serial number, You will get better more accurate info there
    Without the required info many will not even respond to the post
    Thank You Leon Pugh

19. Member
    Got a new update on it put in new tstats and flushed the block through the flush plug for 10 minutes and still no change idling for a couple minutes does seem to help though. Pee hole stream was noticeably better at idle today. Will go ahead and get a poppet kit ordered and probably replace below deck fuel line I just did the bulb and it's hose