Thread: Talons on a 721

Talons on a 721

I have 2-12ft BT Talons on my 721, and they are as high as I can get them on the end brackets, and they are still grabbing water at times while making a straight run. Im running a Bobs 12" hydro and there isnt too much adjustment on that bracket. The way mine is made there are 2 adjustable slots but only one solid hole on the botton part of the JP if that makes sense. I may be able to raise it up from that hole to the bottom adjustable slot without hitting the bolts on the very top of the JP....has anyone else had this issue on a Phoenix?
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

2. Member
    You have a picture? I had 15s on mine with a 10" Bob's and they would barely get water in turns or choppy water.

3. Member
    Keith these are the only ones I have right now and sry they were taken at night, so not too clear...Im gonna mess with it after it cools off this evening
    109177768_10220212918290818_8517366363700113435_n.jpg109448026_10220212916170765_7956827457670208154_n.jpg109231049_10220212918850832_5506688387525988742_n.jpg
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

4. Member
    Pick those brackets up to the next set of holes. That will get them up a lot more. That and get them as close to the boat as possible. Doing that will give you enough adjustment on the actual talons to keep them clear of the water. I think my talons were down about 4" from the bracket they bolted too

Quote Originally Posted by Jav400SDC View Post
    they are as high as I can get them on the end brackets,
    Yes you have them in the upper holes on the bracket BUT you have them as low as they can go on the side mount plate. Looking at picture #2 it appears as if they were once mounted as high as they could go on the side mount plate because you can see the outline of where the bolts were located at one point in time. Why are they not mounted as high as they can go?

6. Member
    I raised them to the next hole, but that only gave me another 1" lift. The 2nd pic is misleading as that is not where they were once mounted as I installed them brand new and they have always been in the position shown, you can see that in pic 3.
    Im going to have to make a piece of flat stock to bring the bracket out far enough to clear the bolts at the top of the JP since they bracket is now touching the bottom of them. Then I will be able to use the slots to slide the bracket up even more.
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

Thanks for the explanation but I really do not understand what your talking about when you refer to needing flat stock to bring the bracket out to clear the bolts. The bolts will remain in the same position, only the bracket will move up. Looking at picture #3 it appears all you need to do is loosen the top bolt so it can slide up in the slot. On the bottom bolt it needs to be removed and once the bracket is slid up to where the bolt is in the slot instead of the hole then re-install the bolt so its in the slot. The location of the bolt does not change but raising the bracket so its in the slot instead of the hole will add more height. Maybe if I saw it in person instead of a picture I might understand what your issue is.

I also wanted to add I was looking at the pictures again and I have a question. In picture #1 is the nut missing on the lower bolt.
    Last edited by JR19; 07-15-2020 at 02:44 AM.

First let me say I am sorry for poor picture quality. Plus I also need to do a better job getting that Green River Lake mud-line off my equipment

Anyways what I described in reply#7 is exactly how mine is mounted. Yes I have three bolts on mine. It come from the factory with two for each side but I had some spare stainless hardware that was the exact same size so I added an extra bolt in the top slot for more holding power. Probably not needed but I had spare hardware lying around so I put it to use. The upper bolt (if I only had one) is at the very bottom of the slot, hence making it as high as it can go on the bracket. The lower bolt is in the bottom slot, not the hole...

If this will work on your set up you can raise it the entire length of the slot, which should give you around 2.5-3 inches of extra vertical height.

Last edited by JR19; 07-15-2020 at 02:50 AM.

Sorry for all the replies...the more I look at your pictures the more I discover.

In picture #2 there is a bright colored spot on the top of the bracket. In that bright colored area there appears to be a black arrow or something in that area. Above what I am talking about is a bolt for your jack-plate that appears to be a cross member. I don't think you will be able to raise yours the full length of the slot because that bolt head will be in the way. I do however think you will be able to raise it enough that you can get the lower bolt into the slot. It looks like you can go up 1.5 or maybe 2"

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jav400SDC View Post
    I raised them to the next hole, but that only gave me another 1" lift. The 2nd pic is misleading as that is not where they were once mounted as I installed them brand new and they have always been in the position shown, you can see that in pic 3.
    Im going to have to make a piece of flat stock to bring the bracket out far enough to clear the bolts at the top of the JP since they bracket is now touching the bottom of them. Then I will be able to use the slots to slide the bracket up even more.
    That's strange. Mine didnt hit those bolts. Your top bracket bolt should be in that single hole in the middle of the bracket and the bottom bolt should be in that bottom slot. The bracket will stick up higher than jack plate maybe 1-2".

11. Member
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

12. Member
    You need Bob's spacers for that jackplate. I needed them for mine when I mounted powerpoles.

https://bobsmachine.com/product/talo...-mount-spacer/

13. Member
    Yea, Im going to make my own before I spend $60 from Bobs.
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Those brackets are overkill and built like a tank. If you have access to an milling machine cut a notch in the bracket that will give clearance for the bolt head. I guarantee it will still be more than strong enough to support the Talon weight even with a notch cut into it.

15. Member
    Yea, I see now. Mine didnt have that logo plate on the jack plate. Once you get the spacer and move the brackets up it will help a lot.

16. Member
    Yea, Im not sure if that logo plate going across helps with the flex and rigidity of the JP or not, But just putting a flat plate on each side will cure the issue so Im going to just make some. They may be high enough now but wont know til I get on the water again. Im about 4.5" above the pad now but they may grab in a turn so would like another 1/2 to inch just to be sure.
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo