Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    weather.com shows humidity Bet you can get a real good idea by looking at that.

Looks like Houston is running about 80% Zapata seem to run 50-60%
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterBob View Post
    Personally I couldn't throw all my eggs in one basket and be stuck living at one lake. Living at Abilene is perfect for me. I have 8 lakes within an hours drive that are awesome and throw in Ivie at 80 minutes for 9. Whole lot better living here than Zapata or East Texas.
    Just because you live on one lake doesn’t keep you from fishing all those others. But it does make it easy to go out for a morning fish half a day and then do some work. I fish a bunch of different lakes but stays on one.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterBob View Post
    Personally I couldn't throw all my eggs in one basket and be stuck living at one lake. Living at Abilene is perfect for me. I have 8 lakes within an hours drive that are awesome and throw in Ivie at 80 minutes for 9. Whole lot better living here than Zapata or East Texas.
    We have a place on Rayburn, but from there I can hit Toledo in 30 minutes, and a few others. In east Texas no matter where you live there are more then a few choices. True at Falcon your kinda limited to 2 lakes, maybe 3. Choke, Amistad and Falcon. But those are some gems to fish.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Banned
    Falcon might be humid the next couple of days...

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    We have a place on Rayburn, but from there I can hit Toledo in 30 minutes, and a few others. In east Texas no matter where you live there are more then a few choices. True at Falcon your kinda limited to 2 lakes, maybe 3. Choke, Amistad and Falcon. But those are some gems to fish.
    4 hrs from Zapata to Del Rio is no quick drive. East or northeast Texas is the place to be imo.

6. Member
    Its a 90 min drive to Rayburn or Toledo from where I am in Lumberton, but Rayburn is packed to the gills on the weekends. Last trip there I was going to run into Coleman and there were 11 boats that I counted just in the opening...So I ran on up to 5 fingers and it was packed too. I really dont know much about Toledo since I havent fished it in years so maybe I should give it a try. Its not so much of being "stuck" with one or two lakes, its the humidity for me. I have had 5 back surgeries, rods and pins in both legs and its hard enough just doing things that most take for granted, and the humidity wears me out fast. Had some lung issues in a bad car wreck so when the humidity drains me, it can get hard to catch a breath at times. I will def take some time off and go down there for a while and see how it is long term before I sell my place here...Mostly depends on how this Abbott spinal stimulator works out...the trial version was a life changer, so hopefully the permanent will be as good. I would love to work a few more years and have everything paid off in case I do have to take my medical retirement
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

7. Member
    You might consider the west end of the RGV. My winter place is near Mission, humidity levels there regularly drop into the 30s. Haven't been there in the summer tho. Very nice area, Falcon lake is 60 miles from my driveway, a easy 80 minute drive. South Padre is just an hour and half drive the other direction. Mission/LaJoya is pretty nice, lots of food, sports, shopping all within 10 miles. Maybe check out a park model MH, in a over 55 park, very affordable and secure.

8. Lounge/Texas Club/Triton Boats Moderator Bobs21X's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasMan250 View Post
    4 hrs from Zapata to Del Rio is no quick drive. East or northeast Texas is the place to be imo.
    This is my future plan for sure!

9. Member
    I thought about these same issues for a couple of years and after scouting around decided to give Zapata a try. Spent the last year fishing Falcon exclusively and do not feel like I am missing much fishing wise (except grass and a top water bite). There is nothing like leaving the house at 4:30 in the afternoon during the week and catching 18 to 23 lbs before sunset while seeing next to no other boats. And the weekends are not really crowded at all with no Wakeboats, jet skis, etc. I even fished all day last week in 115 degree heat index temps and barely broke a sweat due to the low humidity and the 10-20 mph wind. But I did get caught next to the Dam when the wind went completely flat and I instantly felt like I was going die from heat stroke.
    Yeah Zapata is kind of a shit hole but the only thing I really do in my spare time is fish and it is nice to be insulated from all of BS going on in the more "civilized" places. The next best thing to living in Zapata is having a Fish Camp there!!! (shameless plug).
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?=1076230&p=11318629#post11318629
    Last edited by markson; 09-01-2020 at 05:29 PM.

10. Banned
    Lol, so you love it so much, that you want to leave it???

11. Member
    Not leaving, I bought a larger place.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by markson View Post
    Not leaving, I bought a larger place.

I’d buy a place down there if I could handle the heat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12