Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anybody got a 2020 Silverado HD Duramax w/10 Speed

Kind of set my sights on this combo for a puller for boat and upcoming travel trailer purchase. I've read the new 10 speed is not really an Allison transmission, but Allison designed and built internally by GM. Not sure what to think of this, as the Duramax/Allison combo sold me on this, but after seeing GM was building this kind of made me rethink it.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

The 10-speed is a Hydra-Matic, if Allison had any design input on it I don't see it, far as all my info goes it is all Hydra-Matic.

I don't have any experience with the longevity or durability of it.

3. Member
    Thanks,.. I'm reading up more on this and now I'm not seeing anything Allison other than the "Branding". Boy.. back to drawing board.. don't want to be a 1st year guinea pig

Buy the extended warranty and go for it! They have been building transmissions for a long time.

5. Member
    I dont have the gm 10 speed but the ford and I am extremely happy with it. I have driven my buddies gm 10 speed and it is very comparable. I am betting designed in the same room like the 6 speeds were between gm and Ford. My truck has the same knock as the gm. Gm engineers say it is coming from the trans and I agree with them. Allison has never built anything more than a 6 speed so no, Gm is just using the name but it is a fine trans. Buy it and enjoy. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

6. Member
    So are the new 10 speeds not Allison? What is Hydromatic?

Quote Originally Posted by gambler1 View Post
    So are the new 10 speeds not Allison? What is Hydromatic?
    GM coined the "Turbo-Hydromatic" name for their 3 Speed automatic transmission first installed in Chevrolets in 1965, when they first started replacing the "Powerglide" transmissions. If I remember correctly it was first available in the Impala SS with a 396. That was the first year for both engine and transmission). The 1964 and early '65 Impala SS largest engine/transmission combo was the 340 hp 409 with a Powerglide 2 speed automatic, and if you wanted a 400 or 425 hp 409 (bored and stroked 348), it had to be a 4 speed, close ratio manual transmission. I believe my memory is correct.
    Last edited by Texas Larry; 07-30-2020 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    I dont have the gm 10 speed but the ford and I am extremely happy with it. I have driven my buddies gm 10 speed and it is very comparable. I am betting designed in the same room like the 6 speeds were between gm and Ford. My truck has the same knock as the gm. Gm engineers say it is coming from the trans and I agree with them. Allison has never built anything more than a 6 speed so no, Gm is just using the name but it is a fine trans. Buy it and enjoy. Cj
    If you've got an half ton, they are the same transmission. It was a joint design effort between GM and Ford. For 3/4 ton and up, GM says that 10 speed is a different transmission. But, its not "really" and Allison either even though they were involved.

I found this with a little Googling: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/12...ly-an-allison/
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Member
    I bought a 2020 2500hd Silverado Duramax in March, Its my first diesel so I don't have a lot to compare too. I tow my 19ft champion 180 miles to the lake. The road there start flat then you hit the hills and coming out of the lake there a big mountain you go up for a few miles. Set the cruise and truck just goes as fast as you want. I get 15mph while towing my Champion. I have towed my buddies V20 Legend a couple times too, it gets 13mph with his boat and still runs like hell. One of the nice thing about the truck when going down that big hill to the lake, ever time you press the brake it will down shift and holds the speed you want. I already have 15k miles on the truck.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    If you've got an half ton, they are the same transmission. It was a joint design effort between GM and Ford. For 3/4 ton and up, GM says that 10 speed is a different transmission. But, its not "really" and Allison either even though they were involved.

I found this with a little Googling: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/12...ly-an-allison/
    I actually have both but the trucks I am comparing are both 1 tons. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooke78 View Post
    I bought a 2020 2500hd Silverado Duramax in March, Its my first diesel so I don't have a lot to compare too. I tow my 19ft champion 180 miles to the lake. The road there start flat then you hit the hills and coming out of the lake there a big mountain you go up for a few miles. Set the cruise and truck just goes as fast as you want. I get 15mph while towing my Champion. I have towed my buddies V20 Legend a couple times too, it gets 13mph with his boat and still runs like hell. One of the nice thing about the truck when going down that big hill to the lake, ever time you press the brake it will down shift and holds the speed you want. I already have 15k miles on the truck.
    15 MPH and 13 MPH is not very impressive to me. I would expect considerably higher numbers. Going to make for a long trip.

12. Member
    I think that was designed with Allison and Ford and what I hear is all good.!

Quote Originally Posted by KenHo View Post
    15 MPH and 13 MPH is not very impressive to me. I would expect considerably higher numbers. Going to make for a long trip.
    Towing boats, those are normal. I tow F150 ecoboost and get 12 mpg.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

Quote Originally Posted by CHECrappie View Post
    Towing boats, those are normal. I tow F150 ecoboost and get 12 mpg.
    He was making a joke because the other guy said MPH not MPG.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    He was making a joke because the other guy said MPH not MPG.
    Well. Shoot!
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

16. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenHo View Post
    i would expect it to move a little faster personally, long dam drive at those speeds and 180 miles.

17. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Actually I towed my 21’ bass boat to Lake Erie, every year, but this year I bought a 2015 Dodge Ram eco diesel 3:55 gears 8 speed transmission,shit loads power, I got hand calculated 16.1 over a few tanks towing. Empty combined in town about 170 miles and highway about 180 miles, the combined i got about 25 mpg.
    coming 200 miles back from trip all highway 28 mpg. Good little diesel my third one
    1994 f-250. 7.3 diesel 3:73 gears 14 mpg doing anything
    2005 f-350 dually . 6.0. 4:10 gears. 12 doing anything
    2015 EcoDiesel Dodge Ram 3:55 gears ,looking like 22 or 23 around town and about 28 strait highway, and 16 pulling boat.
    lm happy with this new diesel,

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JER-1 BIG BASS View Post
    Actually I towed my 21’ bass boat to Lake Erie, every year, but this year I bought a 2015 Dodge Ram eco diesel 3:55 gears 8 speed transmission,shit loads power, I got hand calculated 16.1 over a few tanks towing. Empty combined in town about 170 miles and highway about 180 miles, the combined i got about 25 mpg.
    coming 200 miles back from trip all highway 28 mpg. Good little diesel my third one
    1994 f-250. 7.3 diesel 3:73 gears 14 mpg doing anything
    2005 f-350 dually . 6.0. 4:10 gears. 12 doing anything
    2015 EcoDiesel Dodge Ram 3:55 gears ,looking like 22 or 23 around town and about 28 strait highway, and 16 pulling boat.
    lm happy with this new diesel,
    I have been looking at the new gen in the Ram 1500 diesel, I currently get 14 with the Hemi pulling the boat, but what I am seeing online is close to 20 pulling with the new diesel. Just waiting on some longevity numbers before I get serious about this new version.

19. Member
    I’m a supplier rep at a GM assembly plant. From speaking to the GM driveline engineers, as well as the in plant quality engineers, the 10 speed is a joint GM/Ford design. Everything I’ve heard about it is fantastic. The recent 8spd, not so much. I was looking at a new truck and was told to buy a 10 speed and nothing else. I got a half ton, with the 3.0L turbo diesel/ 10spd combo and love it. 25 to 27mpg Highway, 70 to 80mph unloaded. 16mpg pulling my Phoenix 921 Pro xp a little slower. Normally maintain speed limit when towing. Only 5k miles so far, but I love it. Previous tow vehicle was a 2015 Ram 1500 hemi 8spd. Started having transmission troubles at about 107k. Transmission was replaced and immediately started having trouble again.

20. Member
    The 10 speed transmission in the 2020 GM HD trucks is an 'Allison branded, manufactured by GM'. Straight from Allison website. I would assume that means GM paid Allison for the name. That doesn't mean it is a bad transmission. Between the 2019 and 2020 GMC Denali HD I bought a '19 with the Allison manufactured 6 speed, however the transmission had nothing to do with my decision. With the L5P Duramax putting out 910 lb-ft of torque @ 1600 rpm the transmission better be a good one. I doubt that Allison would put their name on a bad designed transmisson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast