Anything 'else' to help keep a Ficht OB happy whislt trolling?

OB Motor = 1998 175hp Evinrude Ficht (E175FSXECS)

I run only XD100 oil, new indexed plugs every 50-hours or so, and running clean fuel and only what I'll burn in the tank. Now I do use and add Carbon Guard, but I have some long stretches of 'no wake/mph' areas to navigate through for access to some fishing areas, plus I do on occasion like to troll (for bluefish).

So is here anything else to do to try and keep this motor happy whist trolling?

There is one thing that will keep that motor happy while trolling, keep the ignition switch turned to off.

That motor, and a few others, do not like trolling and tend to load up at low speeds, if you can raise the RPM's occasionally while trolling to clean them out it helps.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELGIN View Post
    That motor, and a few others, do not like trolling and tend to load up at low speeds, if you can raise the RPM's occasionally while trolling to clean them out it helps.
    Thanks, I was hoping you'd reply! Dumb question ... what is a target RPM to raise it to? I know enough to get out of the stratified' combustion RPM, right? Or did you mean an occasional burst to planing speed in gear?

Most interestingly, when traversing those long 'no wake' areas but against a stiff tide, I might be up 1,600 RPMs and notice no ill sounds or effects. I really want to avoid adding a kicker OB motor to the hull ...

If safe, you can pull it into neutral and give it a quick blip on the throttle (don't hit the limiter but 2000 or 3000 is OK) to clear it then when the RPM's fall back to idle drop in back in gear.

By the way, there are no dumb questions.

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Elgin and others have taught me long ago....the only dumb question is the un asked one......

6. Member
    Thank you!

I'm also to understand that the most damaging RPM to avoid is where the OB may flip back and forth from stratified to homogeneous combustion, as that's where the majority of soot occurs, like seen lighting an oxyacetylene torch.

Glad to help.

8. Member
    [If safe, you can pull it into neutral and give it a quick blip on the throttle (don't hit the limiter but 2000 or 3000 is OK) to clear it then when the RPM's fall back to idle drop in back in gear.[

Doesn't a Ficht just miss and fart if throttled up in neutral?

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Only in the land of OZ.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordmann View Post
    Doesn't a Ficht just miss and fart if throttled up in neutral?
    Not mine, it'll rev up for sure, but will not stay at a particular 'higher throttle' speed, so like others opine I drop it before she goes > 2K RPMs.