constant alarm 200 xri

Long story short, I have a 1995 200xri ( serial number 0G104371) with new controls, rigged the motor after my Johnson 150 blew 10 years ago and its been sitting. I put in new thermostats, fuel lines, fuel filters, and fuel pump. I also deleted oil injection and black boxes. I took to mechanic to finish up since I'm self employed and have been slammed. He did water pump rebuild, new impellor, new overheat sensors and hung jack plate. Sent me a video of it running. I took it out today a few weeks later, as soon as key is in the on position I get overheat alarm. Its on constantly. Only goes off when key is off. Obviously motor is not overheating and there's a short somewhere. I have brand new controls, and remote key switch/wiring. Where should I start. Didn't have this problem at mechanics. He sent a video of it running, and fired it up when I picked it up.
    Last edited by Jdwelding; 07-13-2020 at 06:28 PM.

2. Member
    disconnect stbd sensor , likely you have a bad warning module
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    I started by disconnecting the sensi, still key on horn sounds.
    I pulled the wires out from under the dash and found the Tan wire coming from the motor connected to the Tan/Blue wire. Obviously this wasn't right. Disconnected them, and no horn, but shouldn't it beep on start? And where do the tan and tan/blue wires go? I think Tan is for a temp gage. Tan/Blue reads 12v when key is on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jdwelding; 07-16-2020 at 11:46 AM.

4. Member
    tan is for gage t/b comes from module to horn
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    tan is for gage t/b comes from module to horn
    There's a tan/blue and purple going into horn. The not connected tan/blue is coming from key switch and has 12v, when key is on
    Last edited by Jdwelding; 07-16-2020 at 01:25 PM.

6. Member
    disconnect t/b wire at connection on mtr from module, not supose to have 12v on tan /blue

7. Member
    disconnect t/b wire at connection on mtr from module, not supose to have 12v on tan /blue
    ok, then what? Where does the Blue Tan wire from key switch go? I"d like to get this alarm working correctly.

8. Member
    goes to horn purple on one side t/b on other,if you still have voltage on t/b with wire disconnected gota short some where

9. Member
    goes to horn purple on one side t/b on other,if you still have voltage on t/b with wire disconnected gota short some where
    The horn has, a purple, and Tan/Blue going into it. There is another Tan/Blue lead coming out of the key switch harness, along with the tach wire, and others. I need to know where this goes. I uploaded a pic.

10. Member
    that wire can be used for a warning light to be installed along with horn

11. Member
    Ok, thank you. So why doesn't my horn beep on startup? And why 12 volts to it? I can make the alarm sound by grounding out the btan/blue wire.

12. Member
    The sensors set off the Horn by modulataing the ground. The Horn has a constant +12v and lets say the overheat alarm goes off the sensor connects -12v (ground) to the Horn to complete the circuit and activate the Horn.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

13. Member
    So it has nothing to do with me removing the low oil warning module?

14. Member
    It may, some models, when you remove the oil module it removes the start up beep, but I do not know for sure if that’s your case, joe or don will know.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

15. Member
    when you remove the module will have no horn at keep on

16. Member
    when you remove the module will have no horn at keep on
    Ohhhh, I put in my first post, I took all the black boxes out, when I took out the oil injection. So hook it back up, and only use the purple, black, and tan/blue wires? This makes sense now.