Novice to New Boats Needs Help

I am not a novice to boating but I am to the newer boats and technology; and that is why I am asking for help. I am just a wee bit behind the power curve and with the technology aspect I am sure I don't know what I don't know.

This post is very long and I am asking for a lot of info but if I do this I plan to buy once and cry once and keep it for the long term.

I previously owned Rangers, primarily 300 series, and the last one I sold was a 98 R82. So a LOT has changed, including the price. Maybe boats are investments because I see many boats in the R82 class and age range that are being sold today for what I sold mine for 20 years ago.

I am currently looking at the 18-19 class boat, Ranger, Phoenix, Bass Cat or Phoenix, with a 4 Stroke. Once I narrow that down a little more I am sure I will have some more questions related to specific boat and model comparisons and options.

Bass Cat offers some Sabre and Pantera Special Package boats that look appealing. I have not noticed other Manufacturers doing this, am I missing something?

I would greatly appreciate input/opinions/advise on the following:

The R82 Merc 150 XR6 ran close to 60 ( No GPS Then), good hole shot, even pulled kids on tubes with no issues. It rode as nice and dry as some 18-19 boats I fished in locals Tourneys out of. If Ranger still offered the R series I would jump on it with both feet. So I have been looking at something comparable, spec wise, if there is such a thing anymore. I am not sure if that really makes sense, has hull and motor changed technology that much. It seems a 18' class boat with a 150 is still a 55 mph rig. Also 17+ boats were previously considered 18" and now the 18 ' class are 18' + and they are wider now. it also seems some are getting bigger and the motors are getting smaller.

From the boat's available today it seems the Bass Cat Margay is closest in specs, but I have seen several reviews commenting on how load sensitive it can be. I really never had that issue with my old boat. Noted next to some of the models below are my thoughts based on my past experience; comments from your experience is welcome.

specs are length beam weight HP

Ranger
    R82 17-10 88 1375 175 My last boat, really liked everything about it with150 XR6
    Z175 17-6 92 1250 115 Seems like it would be under powered ?
    Z185 18-8 96 1575 150 Seems like it would be under powered ?
    Z518 18-10 97 1350 200
    Z519 19-9 97 1750 225

Phoenix
    618 18-6 94 1500 175 in my area most have 150 due to lack of 175 availability Seems like it would be under powered with 150 ?
    818 18-6 94 1500 175 in my area most have 150 due to lack of 175 availability Seems like it would be under powered with 150 ?
    819 19-8 96 1800 200

Bass Cat
    Margay 17-10 90 1250 150 reports of this being load sensitive?
    Sabre 18-1 93 1215 150-175
    Pantera C 19-6 90 1550 200

Skeeter
    ZX150 18-6 95 1710 150 Seems like it would be under powered
    ZX190 18-5 92 1725 175
    ZX200 19-6 95 2020 200

Factory Custom Cover- My old Ranger covers were head and shoulders above the rest and was a very important consideration, as the boat will be outside. Is there a difference in covers for the above mentioned boats, or is the playing field level now?

Trailers - it seems there are some 3 inch and 4 inch trailer options as well as 14 vs 15 inch wheels. From what I can remember the previous standard was 15 inch wheels. Just seems strange to me that vehicle wheels seem to be getting bigger and bass boat trailer wheels are getting smaller??

Trolling motor- Is the base motor 80 lbs 24V systems and prop shaft length sufficient for most, 18-19's?

Fortrex/Ultrex, my understanding is the ultrex provides spot lock/anchor capabilities, does that require it to be linked/networked to a specific graph or is that an independent function?

Graphs - I think I would like a console unit and split screen GPS/ Map and be able to link that GPS/map waypoint to the bow so I Can view the same waypoint point and contour map on the bow. Side imaging is a requirement also, I am thinking at this point console only??
    Helix vs Solix is a helix 7 large enough for a split screen map and either DI or SI ?

I have a lot to learn about Ethernet/networked electronics trolling motors.

I understand more and bigger is always better but?? For now I want to stick with 2 units, except of course the Bass Cat SE packages offer 3 and that would be nice.

I don't mind spending the extra for a more optimal setup, but I do not need dual 10's on the console dedicated to lef/right SI with another graph for GPS/DI and the same on the front.

Jack Plate/ Power Poles - Most of the boats I am considering in the 18-19 range probably come with a manual jack plate?? I may add power poles later, is there a compelling reason to get it on the boat from the start. My understanding is the optimal setup is to mount them to an existing jack plate??

Rear hatch bilge area - Are there any concerns /issues with PP pumps being mounted so that the need to be removed to replace batteries or live well bilge pumps. Is there a boat that offers a much more accessible area than another, is that even a valid concern??

Any other accessories or option that I should consider?

Thanks

2. Member
    I'm fairly new to owning a boat so I won't touch any of your questions regarding the differences in setups but I will kick things off with my thoughts on the electronics...

On our boat we have dual HELIX 10's at the console and bow. Having run a single 10 at the console for a year I will say that's probably the smallest I'd want to go when using as a split screen. We typically run the console units as the right being SI/DI and the left being map while the bow units are setup as the top being 360/DI and the bottom being map. On it's own, a 7 is probably ok but when you run split screen it'll be pretty small. Networking is very simple, for Humminbird at least, I don't have experience with other brands. All of our units are networked. Hardest part is just running the wires and that isn't too bad either depending on the boat it seems. Our boat has tubes that run from the front to the console and the console to the back, run a fish tape and pull the wires. I ran a larger gauge wire from the battery to the console and mounted a small fuse block to power all the units, 360 and network.

As for your question about the Ultrex, you do not need to have the trolling motor connected to anything to use the spot lock feature, that is independent. You would need to connect the trolling motor to the units if you want to use functions like automatically moving to a waypoint or following a contour line, and if that's of interest you will need iPilot Link.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjxds View Post
    Factory Custom Cover- My old Ranger covers were head and shoulders above the rest and was a very important consideration, as the boat will be outside. Is there a difference in covers for the above mentioned boats, or is the playing field level now?

I am on my 3rd 21 foot boat. Triton, then Skeeter, now Triton again. All the covers leaked. I actually kept the travel cover that is used to ship to the Dealer and it is dry. So travel cover for storage, and use the cover that came with boat for travel.

Trailers - it seems there are some 3 inch and 4 inch trailer options as well as 14 vs 15 inch wheels. From what I can remember the previous standard was 15 inch wheels. Just seems strange to me that vehicle wheels seem to be getting bigger and bass boat trailer wheels are getting smaller??

My current trailer is tandem with shocks on all 4 wheels and 4 wheel disk breaks. Love it. I also got the steps from the BBC guy who does them.

Trolling motor- Is the base motor 80 lbs 24V systems and prop shaft length sufficient for most, 18-19's?

I have had 45 and 52 inch TM's. 52 was very useful on Lake Erie. So it depends on your lake size the propensity for heavy seas. I see many 24v systems. One of the new TM's (Ghost) introduced is both 24v and 36v so you could just add another battery if you wanted.

Fortrex/Ultrex, my understanding is the ultrex provides spot lock/anchor capabilities, does that require it to be linked/networked to a specific graph or is that an independent function?

They do not need to be networked, as it is also have a remote control. Networking allows control from GPS unit.

Graphs - I think I would like a console unit and split screen GPS/ Map and be able to link that GPS/map waypoint to the bow so I Can view the same waypoint point and contour map on the bow. Side imaging is a requirement also, I am thinking at this point console only??
    Helix vs Solix is a helix 7 large enough for a split screen map and either DI or SI ?

I currently have Lowrance gen 3 12 touch. Ok unit. I am a fan now of HB as it is better in shallow water for sidescan and I love what I see with the mega 360 on the bow. Lowrance sidescan on bow is useless unless you are hauling but on the TM.

I have a lot to learn about Ethernet/networked electronics trolling motors.

I understand more and bigger is always better but?? For now I want to stick with 2 units, except of course the Bass Cat SE packages offer 3 and that would be nice.

More pixels, better the resolution on sidescan. Just depends on your fishing (deep, troll alot, or shallow struct fishing)

I don't mind spending the extra for a more optimal setup, but I do not need dual 10's on the console dedicated to lef/right SI with another graph for GPS/DI and the same on the front.

Jack Plate/ Power Poles - Most of the boats I am considering in the 18-19 range probably come with a manual jack plate?? I may add power poles later, is there a compelling reason to get it on the boat from the start. My understanding is the optimal setup is to mount them to an existing jack plate??

I will never have another boat without Hydraulic jackplate. I also have powerpoles and the remote drain plug (very handy), Hotfoot (must have) and Smartcraft gauges (must have) and the Mercury Vesselview so you can dial in your prop.

Rear hatch bilge area - Are there any concerns /issues with PP pumps being mounted so that the need to be removed to replace batteries or live well bilge pumps. Is there a boat that offers a much more accessible area than another, is that even a valid concern??

With the TR21's you don't have any issue. Not sure about smaller boats.

Any other accessories or option that I should consider?

as stated above but for clarity: step ladder on trailer, 4 wheel disks because when you really need to stop, you really need them, remote drain plug, powerpoles or other anchoring system, new brushless TM with spotlock, personally Mega 360 on the bow, I like my Triton adjustable seats, remote drain, Hydraulic Jackplate!,
    USB charging ports, removable 2nd console, bluetooth sound system so you can play music off smartphone, hotfoot, vesselview, smartcraft gauges, keep your white shipping cover for outside storage. HTH's.

Thanks
    see replies above.
    Last edited by Squire; 07-16-2020 at 03:13 PM.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

4. Member
    Thanks to you that have replied. Looks like I will need to figure out the rest on my own.