Thread: Towing capacity

Towing capacity

I have a crew cab diesel pick up, so Towing is not an issue. But for other vehicles that I might be looking at what type of towing capacity should I be looking for? Talking about a 21 foot bass boat loaded for fishing with a 200 to 250 motor. Thanks

2. Member
    5000# minimum.
    BTW, 200 HP on a 21 foot glass boat?

The boat, motor, trailer and gear of the boat you listed is going to be around 5K. I would look for something with a rating of about 7K. I like to keep the towed load about 1000 pounds below max towing capacity.

I would take your bass boat to a scale at a truck stop and get it weighed. I have done this a few times. Make sure all your gear is in the boat. Head to the truck stop and fill up the boat with gas then go park near the scales but out of the way of truckers. Go in and talk to the weigh attendant and say you want to get a weight on the boat and trailer only so you will need a few minutes to disconnect. To minimize time on the scale, disconnect the lights and cables just leaving the ball driving on the scale. Drive onto the Scale, disconnect, remove tow vehicle then tell attendant that you are ready. Once the weight is read, go back and hook up with just the ball and drive off the scale. Hook up the lights and cables, park and go find out what your boat REALLY weighs.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Im a homer for the 80% rule: don’t tow anything more than 80% of max capacity. So a for a 21’ boat assuming 5000lb trailered weight, So I’d suggest looking at vehicles with a minimum 7000lb tow capacity. Also, make sure it has a factory tow package and not just some uhaul hitch someone slapped on.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Im a homer for the 80% rule: don’t tow anything more than 80% of max capacity. So a for a 21’ boat assuming 5000lb trailered weight, So I’d suggest looking at vehicles with a minimum 7000lb tow capacity. Also, make sure it has a factory tow package and not just some uhaul hitch someone slapped on.
    Me too, even on the Tundra (Toyota uses SAE J2807, and has since the beginning) I try and stay at 80%. I've pulled a 520L about 2,000 miles on the interstate with the cruise set about 72 MPH. I knew the big bass boat was back there, but it didn't phase the truck.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...w-ratings.html

6. Scraps
    F150 with 2.7L Eco is good for 5000lb stock, 8000lb with the towing package. Essentially tranny cooling. Could bump up to the 3.5L Eco, but not necessary.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    THIS^^^. Most auto, SUV, and truck manufacturers are very generous with the towing capacities that they list.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I would make sure whatever I bought had rear wheel drive with a limited slip differential.

9. Member
    Any 1/2 ton pickup that is 4x4 just incase the ramp is slippery with a tow package should do the job.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    The boat, motor, trailer and gear of the boat you listed is going to be around 5K. I would look for something with a rating of about 7K. I like to keep the towed load about 1000 pounds below max towing capacity.

I would take your bass boat to a scale at a truck stop and get it weighed. I have done this a few times. Make sure all your gear is in the boat. Head to the truck stop and fill up the boat with gas then go park near the scales but out of the way of truckers. Go in and talk to the weigh attendant and say you want to get a weight on the boat and trailer only so you will need a few minutes to disconnect. To minimize time on the scale, disconnect the lights and cables just leaving the ball driving on the scale. Drive onto the Scale, disconnect, remove tow vehicle then tell attendant that you are ready. Once the weight is read, go back and hook up with just the ball and drive off the scale. Hook up the lights and cables, park and go find out what your boat REALLY weighs.
    Take the truck & trailer across the scales, pull out of the way and unhook the boat. Drive the truck across the scales. Less time on the scales.

11. Member
    I towed a 17’ boat for a few years with a Voyager minivan. If the ramp was slick, the front wheel drive was tough. I had to get a few guys to push me up the ramp one time....