Corroding Trailer Wire. Waterproof connections?

I seem to have trouble with my one year old trailer wiring corroding at any place where the insulation is penetrated, especially where I have to tap in to connect the side marker lights. The corrosion runs up the wire and makes repairs tough. I’ve made the mistake of using a blue 3M T-Tap crimp connector (See pic) for this connection. So it's time to re-wire again. (Wires run inside of a box trailer frame) I've also had problems with the wire breaking at traditional tube type heat shrink butt connectors. There is also the possibility the wire was not as high quality that I was lead to believe.

Unless someone can help me with a waterproof way to intercept the wire for the side marker lights I’m considering re-wiring with the jacketed Ancor (see picture) and just not connecting the marker lights. This way I’ll be running a solid set of un-molested wires directly to the rear lights. Seeing that the Ancor jacketed wire is about $2.00 a foot I would be very hesitant to cut into it to hook up the side lights.

I've searched for and looked at all the waterproof connectors but just don't see anything innovative.
    If any of you have had luck with a waterproof connector please feel free to chime in.
    Thanks.
    Wire.JPG
    Crimp 3M.JPG

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Marker lights are legally required. I use liquid electrical tape liberally to seal all connections, even with allegedly waterproof splices.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I use a dielectric filled inline tap made for wet applications. 3M also makes a 3 position displacement splice which is filled with grease, again for wet applications. As mentioned above, liquid tape also does a very good job of sealing. I have 6 trailers on the farm and once the factory splices were replaced, no problems. Marker lights are a federal DOT lighting requirement.
    2015 Ranger 620vs
    2015 Mercury 250 ProXS, 9.9 Bigfoot Kicker
    24P Brovo I FS

4. Member
    I cut the wire to be spliced. Then I slide heat shrink up the wire. Strip and crimp the splice, test it, then cover both ends of the splice liberally with Liquid Electric Tape. Slide the heat shrink down to cover both ends of the splice and apply heat. This should force L E T out the ends and effectively hermetically seal it. Slightly messy, but waterproof.

5. Member
    I cut the wire to be spliced. Then I slide heat shrink up the wire. Strip and crimp the splice, test it, then cover both ends of the splice liberally with Liquid Electric Tape. Slide the heat shrink down to cover both ends of the splice and apply heat. This should force L E T out the ends and effectively hermetically seal it. Slightly messy, but waterproof.
    X2

Have done it this way for years with no rework on the connections.

Tube trailers beat/wear the snot out of wire, especially those cheap trailer wire looms they sell.

Buy once, cry one and get some 16 or 14 ga marine wire with more strands and a tougher sheath and make your own loom.

25 or 50 ft rolls (25 per side) and it's a once and done project.

6. Member
    All set. Thanks guys. I incorporated a number of the suggestions and now hopefully have waterproof wiring.

1...High quality jacketed wire
    2...Dielectric grease
    3...Heat shrink crimp connectors
    4...Liquid electrical tape and a second layer of shrink tubing.

Let's see how it holds up!

7. mikesxpress
    Marine splices with the heat gun activated goo inside is my 1st choice.

Friends don’t Friends use Vampire clips (T taps, ScotchLoks, Guillotine tap).
    These are not designed to be used anyplace weather can get to them. Most trailer wiring problems can be traced to these things. Coating them with liquid electrical tape definitely helps.

Better solution but still needs coated with liquid tape.
    Posi-Tap- No Crimp Tap
    https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html

8. Member
    Solder all connections an cover with heat shrink and/or liquid tape

Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    Solder all connections and cover with heat shrink and/or liquid tape
    +1 If you only want to do it once and have no future problems!

Only thing I have to say is "Just like the painted lines on the road! Marker lights are not there for looks!"

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    Solder all connections an cover with heat shrink and/or liquid tape
    Done this with every trailer I ever owned. Even new ones. End of problems

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Marine splices with the heat gun activated goo inside is my 1st choice.

Friends don’t Friends use Vampire clips (T taps, ScotchLoks, Guillotine tap).
    These are not designed to be used anyplace weather can get to them. Most trailer wiring problems can be traced to these things. Coating them with liquid electrical tape definitely helps.

Better solution but still needs coated with liquid tape.
    Posi-Tap- No Crimp Tap
    https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html
    I would use a wire nut before one of those vampire taps.