Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fury 4 RPM's & Water Pressure

Hello all,

So I wanted to get some thoughts on some issues I'm having running a new Fury4 (24P).

The first issue is that I am seeing high water pressure 35-40psi @ WOT.

The second being I can't seem to turn the prop over 5200 RPM

Here is my setup:

1996 Ranger 391 (19'3")
    2002 Merc EFI (200hp) 2.5L (SN#0T443994)
    6" TH Marine HydroJacker JP
    Fury4 (24P)

Any thoughts are appreciated guys.

2. Member
    Prop to pad = 3.75"

Raise it up. U too deep.

4. Member
    Should I just use the JP to raise and find the sweet spot or actually unbolt? Also what is the preferred range prop to pad?

I'd use the jack plate, go up 1/4" at a time. When you lose water pressure you need to stop. The thought is the Fury 4 can run higher than 3 blades. Not familiar with your boat so trial and error. And yes, it's a pain to raise the plate, try it out and repeat. Good luck.

I'd use the jack plate, go up 1/4" at a time. When you lose water pressure you need to stop. The thought is the Fury 4 can run higher than 3 blades. Not familiar with your boat so trial and error. And yes, it's a pain to raise the plate, try it out and repeat. Good luck.

wrong prop for that boat, way to stiff, for four blade I would be thinking maybe a 23 bravo
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    Ok thanks for the replies guys.

If I were to go with a Bravo, which one for my boat/motor? The Bravo1 xs, 23P?

9. Member
    Also will switching from a Fury4 24p to a Bravo1 xs 23p help the high water pressure issue?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joeim8 View Post
    Also will switching from a Fury4 24p to a Bravo1 xs 23p help the high water pressure issue?

Thanks
    Prop will not cause high water pressure
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    No but having the motor too low prop to pad sure will. You have a hydraulic plate do you ever move it up and down or do you just leave it alone. If it works raise the motor up.

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    No but having the motor too low prop to pad sure will. You have a hydraulic plate do you ever move it up and down or do you just leave it alone. If it works raise the motor up.
    No it will not cause high excessive pressure, that will be a sensor error, stuck poppit valve or power head gasket issue most likely
    Not good idea to raise motor just to lower pressures, there is different problem that needs repairing
    Motor height should be used for tuning the setup to get it right, making sure the pressure does not fall below minimum
    Excessive pressure can be an indicator of reduced water flow which can cause overheating, of not overheating there is a very good possibility of a sensor out of range or stuck poppit valve. Think thermostats stuck closed, the poppit valve allows the motor to bypass thermostats and provide maximum water flow
    This should be fixed asap
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-15-2020 at 10:19 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Member
    Thanks guys.

I have replaced the poppet valve, thermostats water pump and inspected the sensor and lines. It looks like I may have to change the powerhead gasket not sure what else it could be at this point. Still getting fault at wot and only at wot per above.

14. Member
    I had a 2000 Mercury 200 EFI on a 20ft Procraft, I could turn a 26P tophy plus to the tune of 69mph. 5750rmp

2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

15. Member
    Test the gauge with regulated shop air, FIRST.

16. Member
    Savage will the gauge actually throw the alarm though?

I didn't trust the reading on the water psi gauge much either but I bought a vessel view mobile which pretty much confirms the high water pressure I beileive. However I wasn't sure a bad gauge would actually trip the alarm, I do have a new sensor on the way just in case becasue I could see how that would trip the alarm though.

when Appling 30 psi of pressure to the sensor the gauge and vessel view should indicate 30 psi as well, just a way to verify the sensor is good or bad, the gauge will not trigger an alarm but the sensor will
    Thank You Leon Pugh

18. Member
    Got it thanks Leon.

19. Member
    How are you getting the vessel view gauges to work on a motor that isn't smart craft compatible and what sensor are you replacing?

20. Member
    Ok update guys.

So installed the new water pressure sensor and took it out for a spin today, water pressure reading did not change at all on the VVM or the analog gauge however no more alarm at WOT even though the VVM gauge was showing around 40 at WOT and the analog sometimes pushing 25-30 which is max. SO I don't think the sensor was the issue but I am confused as to why the new sensor will not trigger the same alarm as the old? Maybe different parameters between the two as I mentioned before the new one is rated for 0-50psi while the old 0-30psi I beleive?

Afterward a buddy of mine brought over a water pressure meter so we could verify the VVM readout vs the meter and sure enough if was almost spot on.

Seems like I have no choice but to change out the adapter plate gaskets and power head gasket as recommended, but wanted to post these findings first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast