Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    I would need another boat to tow me to be able to get on plane with a 29 5 blade, I almost have to do that to get on plane with the 26 five blade that i have now. I have watched Andy Morgan take off like a rocket in his boat with a 250 rude, not sure what set up he has but it is a damn sight better than mine. I don't mind a slow hole shot but when you have to either have someone lay on the front deck or turn boat hard to the left or right just to get on plane is not right, especially with a 300R. My Triton has the 300xs racing engine with 175 TM, 26 Fury, it is slow out of the hole in the summer when loaded but not near as bad as my Bullet, I bet that Triton is 400 pounds heavier than the Bullet. Maybe it is my engine, if the 25 Promax does not do me any good i am bringing it back to dealer to have it checked out, maybe get a couple of the Bullet owners around lake Fork to drive it and see what they think.
    I wish you good luck with the 25 promax Roger. You may need some or all the pvs plugs since the promax has a small barrel. If it works well for you I will order me one the next day!

2. Member
    HC I just saw that you are getting a Pro Max not the Max 5. I have had my best run with a Pro Max and wish that I would played with it more. When I tried it I was just getting started on a trail of props that never seems to end and after running several others it actually did OK. I just needed to plug some holes and maybe add the blow out ring. I am currently working with Hill on possibly building a thru hub Drag 4 and Hydromotive is cutting the P-5 down to 14.5 inch diameter. (Same as the Pro Max). And I am waiting to see how the Pro max does on yours. Good Luck Brother..
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

3. Member
    Thanks guys, my luck it will be an engine problem and all of this will be for naught. I sure would hate to have to get rid of this boat, it has been a lucky one, wife and I won 5 straight couples tournaments, the streak ended Sunday, we got second.

4. Member
    I hope that promax is the fix but if it isn't can I give it a test run?

The promax needs a blowout ring so give it a chance. I love mine

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
    I hope that promax is the fix but if it isn't can I give it a test run?
    Yes sir, maybe we can run it on your boat and fish a few of your secret spots.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    The promax needs a blowout ring so give it a chance. I love mine
    Where can a blowout ring be purchased?

8. Member
    Well I picked up my pro max prop, it looks brand spanking new, thanks Adam for the tip.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Warrix View Post
    Performance Marine in Lake Placid Fl. has a 29 Max5ST for $1995.00
    Max 5 29 will be too big for 1.60's
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO

Quote Originally Posted by jr 22 View Post
    Where can a blowout ring be purchased?
    Mercury dealer

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

11. Member
    HK,

I've been though everything you're going thur with the 21SST that I had..and I've done a lot of testing with the Ballistic 223 with 300R, which is close the the SDC overall..I've bought, run and tested over 17 different props on these boats, all the major brands..

My fav fishing prop is a Bravo 1 FS 28.5 - hard loaded(full everything, 2-245lb guys and 90+ outside) the boat will come out of hole very well and run 84-85..ditch one guy, boat fly's out of hole runs 86-87 on limiter..

Max 5 is best all around prop - good holeshot, best top end speeds..
    ProMax - I haven't found one I like yet - I personally feel the diameter is too small for the big sporty..boats feel loose to me....don't like the holeshot as the boat cavitates and chatters coming out of hole while pitching the nose sky high..
    Bravo's - generally around good props if you don't over pitch for you setup - 32 Bravo will run in low 90's but isn't good out of hole- I also feel that 4 blades won't hold as good as 5 so I always worry a little about blowing one out at higher speeds.
    Performance Performers - run a P 30 BC that was great - it slipped around coming out of hole, but no chatter or blowout which is great as most over hubs will all do...these props are hard to find now, and I'll still not a fan of overhub props.
    Sign/Hill cleavers - my boat did not like them are ll
    Herings - handle great, hold great, great feeling and running props, just hard to find one that fits your personal setup - these are top end props only in my opinion - they chatter coming out of hole, but if you find right prop with right diameter, pitch and rake, they'll fly..

I'd think a 26-28 Bravo XS or FS for a fishing prop since you have 1.60 would be perfect..heavier you load the boat, the smaller I'd go...for lighter loads and over all performance, go ahead and buy a Max 5 ST - its the best of all worlds..I'm putting a 29 on the limiter in my 223 with 300R 1:75's so I'd think a 27/28 would be good bet on the 1.60's
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO

12. Member
    Yes sir, maybe we can run it on your boat and fish a few of your secret spots.
    No secrets I'm just extra lucky

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by falconpilot View Post
    HK,

I've been though everything you're going thur with the 21SST that I had..and I've done a lot of testing with the Ballistic 223 with 300R, which is close the the SDC overall..I've bought, run and tested over 17 different props on these boats, all the major brands..

My fav fishing prop is a Bravo 1 FS 28.5 - hard loaded(full everything, 2-245lb guys and 90+ outside) the boat will come out of hole very well and run 84-85..ditch one guy, boat fly's out of hole runs 86-87 on limiter..

Max 5 is best all around prop - good holeshot, best top end speeds..
    ProMax - I haven't found one I like yet - I personally feel the diameter is too small for the big sporty..boats feel loose to me....don't like the holeshot as the boat cavitates and chatters coming out of hole while pitching the nose sky high..
    Bravo's - generally around good props if you don't over pitch for you setup - 32 Bravo will run in low 90's but isn't good out of hole- I also feel that 4 blades won't hold as good as 5 so I always worry a little about blowing one out at higher speeds.
    Performance Performers - run a P 30 BC that was great - it slipped around coming out of hole, but no chatter or blowout which is great as most over hubs will all do...these props are hard to find now, and I'll still not a fan of overhub props.
    Sign/Hill cleavers - my boat did not like them are ll
    Herings - handle great, hold great, great feeling and running props, just hard to find one that fits your personal setup - these are top end props only in my opinion - they chatter coming out of hole, but if you find right prop with right diameter, pitch and rake, they'll fly..

I'd think a 26-28 Bravo XS or FS for a fishing prop since you have 1.60 would be perfect..heavier you load the boat, the smaller I'd go...for lighter loads and over all performance, go ahead and buy a Max 5 ST - its the best of all worlds..I'm putting a 29 on the limiter in my 223 with 300R 1:75's so I'd think a 27/28 would be good bet on the 1.60's
    Thanks for all the info, already tried 26,27,28 Bravo 1 XS, the 26 will barely crawl out of the hole with a loaded boat and wells full, top end was maybe 75, I really think i have an engine or throttle problem, I think my highest rpms was 6100.

14. Member
    I would need another boat to tow me to be able to get on plane with a 29 5 blade, I almost have to do that to get on plane with the 26 five blade that i have now. I have watched Andy Morgan take off like a rocket in his boat with a 250 rude, not sure what set up he has but it is a damn sight better than mine. I don't mind a slow hole shot but when you have to either have someone lay on the front deck or turn boat hard to the left or right just to get on plane is not right, especially with a 300R. My Triton has the 300xs racing engine with 175 TM, 26 Fury, it is slow out of the hole in the summer when loaded but not near as bad as my Bullet, I bet that Triton is 400 pounds heavier than the Bullet. Maybe it is my engine, if the 25 Promax does not do me any good i am bringing it back to dealer to have it checked out, maybe get a couple of the Bullet owners around lake Fork to drive it and see what they think.
    It’s the gear ratio, doesn’t matter the boat brand if it’s heavy loaded with fishing stuff tall gears like that are gonna be a problem.

my old triton tr-21 had a 225 on it with 1.75’s. Used to run a 25 or 26, no real holeshot issues. Wasn’t a rocket ship but wasn’t a problem either.

motor blew, replaced with a 250 that had 1.62’s on it. Empty ran a 26 fury and would move good for a big boat. And a 25 tempest.

Fishing a tourney on t-bend had a livewell full of fish and partner in boat and all the fishing stuff. ALMOST never got the boat on plane to the weigh in. Was slow and hard to deal with before the full Wells with the tempest.

Partner in front of boat going in circles to make a wave to get up. Took forever.
    had to run a 23 high five, came out and acted right then, but would be on the limiter quick.
    they don’t make a 24 high five, that’s what it needed. Never tried a 24 trophy might have been the deal. Don’t know.

On a heavy boat you need the torque multiplication of some shorter gears to get the proping right, unfortunately.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    It’s the gear ratio, doesn’t matter the boat brand if it’s heavy loaded with fishing stuff tall gears like that are gonna be a problem.

my old triton tr-21 had a 225 on it with 1.75’s. Used to run a 25 or 26, no real holeshot issues. Wasn’t a rocket ship but wasn’t a problem either.

motor blew, replaced with a 250 that had 1.62’s on it. Empty ran a 26 fury and would move good for a big boat. And a 25 tempest.

Fishing a tourney on t-bend had a livewell full of fish and partner in boat and all the fishing stuff. ALMOST never got the boat on plane to the weigh in. Was slow and hard to deal with before the full Wells with the tempest.

Partner in front of boat going in circles to make a wave to get up. Took forever.
    had to run a 23 high five, came out and acted right then, but would be on the limiter quick.
    they don’t make a 24 high five, that’s what it needed. Never tried a 24 trophy might have been the deal. Don’t know.

On a heavy boat you need the torque multiplication of some shorter gears to get the proping right, unfortunately.
    Yeah its a slippery slope, i think this 25.5 Promax may be the ticket, need to fill the wells and run it to make sure but it sure felt much better than other props.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Warrix View Post
    Performance Marine in Lake Placid Fl. has a 29 Max5ST for $1995.00
    I wouldnt give performance marine 2 dollars for anything they sell. WORST service of any boat dealer in the US in my opinion.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

My 300x had a 1.62 and you could run a 22p trophy or a 34 lightning et or any prop made for that matter. Even 250hp motors were the same. Some ran better than others but all came out of the hole. I think these new motors are not what they want you to believe. 4 jokes.

18. Member
    These new 4.6 ltr. Motors have twice the amount of exhaust gasses coming out of that prop area and 3 times the low end tourque of the old 2 strokes. I'm not standing up for them as I'm not happy with mine either. Just saying they are completely different motors . I would love to have the old school X on my Bullet.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

19. Member
    I love the 300R on the Xrd hull!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    My 300x had a 1.62 and you could run a 22p trophy or a 34 lightning et or any prop made for that matter. Even 250hp motors were the same. Some ran better than others but all came out of the hole. I think these new motors are not what they want you to believe. 4 jokes.
    Same here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12