Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much does the prop have to do with the ride

I am having hell with my new 21 SDC, I am now on my 4th prop, it is a 5 blade 26 Pro Tech worked by Steve's, it sucks. I cannot get out of the hole when livewells are full, the ride is horrible, the boat does not cut through the waves, it is like the waves are hitting the boat about where the consoles are, bone jarring, I am not sure what to do, never had a problem like this with my Triton's. I am sure my 27 and 28 bravo 1 xs did not ride like this prop does. The boat hops and flies out of the water even when running barely on pad, I have had the hydraulic plate on every setting. Could it be that the prop is lifting the stern too High ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, if i cannot get it to perform like i think it should it will be in the boats for sale section soon.

2. Member
    Sounds like you have too much bow lift with the prop set up. Usually a prop with more stern lift will keep the bow lower and it will cut through the waves better. At least thats been my experience.
    2008 Allison XB21 2+2
    2011 Mercury 300XS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rward69 View Post
    Sounds like you have too much bow lift with the prop set up. Usually a prop with more stern lift will keep the bow lower and it will cut through the waves better. At least thats been my experience.
    That makes sense, all I know is it is a screwed up as a soup sandwich.

Prop has everything to do with it and with those new lower units all you can do is bust out about $1500 right off the bat or youll have a collection of unsellable props worth that if youre not careful.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

5. Member
    I think the 1.60 are your problem and possibly the sporty. I think a TM with 1.75 would be a better fishing set up and still run low/mid eighties.

6. Member
    I think the 1.60 are your problem and possibly the sporty. I think a TM with 1.75 would be a better fishing set up and still run low/mid eighties. I am just guessing, because I don't have an XRS or 4 stroke.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Prop has everything to do with it and with those new lower units all you can do is bust out about $1500 right off the bat or youll have a collection of unsellable props worth that if youre not careful.
    I already have sold two props for half of what I paid for them, about to be a third one, did find a Pro Max 25.5 pitch that i am picking up tomorrow, did speak with a Bullet owner who runs one, he loves his but he is running a 175 TM with 250 pro xs.

Max 5- go ahead

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Max 5- go ahead
    ... Dang, what's next???... The dreaded Double Dog Dare???...

You'll get it figured out happykamper... You're going to be a wealth of knowledge to other Bullet owners once you get it figured out... Dan

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    ... Dang, what's next???... The dreaded Double Dog Dare???...

You'll get it figured out happykamper... You're going to be a wealth of knowledge to other Bullet owners once you get it figured out... Dan
    ^^^
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

11. Member
    I ran a 2004 21XDC with a 250XS with a sporty with 1:62's did great until I loaded it down when it was hot, mostly ran a 26p Signature Eagle 4, sometimes a 28p

12. Member
    Very interested in how the Pro Max does on your rig as compared to the others. I tried the Hill Signature this weekend and had the same results as you did along with 7 props. Good luck and I hope this one makes your boat a rocket. Then I will have to suck it up and buy a Pro Max also....Following
    Last edited by Elwood; 07-14-2020 at 06:38 AM.
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

13. Member
    Comparing the 21'10" X boats and the 21'10" XRS are 2 different animals.
    I was one of the first bullets to get the 300R 1.60.
    I have posted my experiences very detailed in several post. I do not have much time right now. I can just tell you a max5 is not going to make HK happy.
    Other than holeshot a max 5 is hands doen the prop to run on an XRS. But on an XRS most fishermen that want a great holeshot in a loaded boat with livewells full will have to live with partner going to front deck with a max5. A low pitch Bravo XS is the cure.
    It just seems HK is not listening.
    Going to 1.75 will not fix holeshot for HK without a low pitch Bravo XS. Why would someone speed $2,000+ for a low pitch fishing prop?
    Why do you think the professional Bullet pro's in an XRS load all the weight in the front of the boat they can.
    This summer been doing alot of tube pulling with grandkids. An adult on the front deck makes all the difference in getting on plane.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jr 22 View Post
    Comparing the 21'10" X boats and the 21'10" XRS are 2 different animals.
    I was one of the first bullets to get the 300R 1.60.
    I have posted my experiences very detailed in several post. I do not have much time right now. I can just tell you a max5 is not going to make HK happy.
    Other than holeshot a max 5 is hands doen the prop to run on an XRS. But on an XRS most fishermen that want a great holeshot in a loaded boat with livewells full will have to live with partner going to front deck with a max5. A low pitch Bravo XS is the cure.
    It just seems HK is not listening.
    Going to 1.75 will not fix holeshot for HK without a low pitch Bravo XS. Why would someone speed $2,000+ for a low pitch fishing prop?
    Why do you think the professional Bullet pro's in an XRS load all the weight in the front of the boat they can.
    This summer been doing alot of tube pulling with grandkids. An adult on the front deck makes all the difference in getting on plane.
    Well I started with a Bravo 28xs which was recommended by the factory and the dealer, then a 27,now a 26 Bravo 1 that is not very good as well, guess i will see if i can find a 22, maybe the engine will turn it 6400 rpms. I rode in a 21 XRS that had the 1.75 SM, it came out of the hole like a rocket and we were running 82 with 3 big men in the boat, not sure which prop he had, he is a guide on lake Fork, Randy Offield is his name. To be honest I still do not feel like my engine is getting WOT, going to have it checked again by a different mechanic. I have all of my light stuff in the rear compartments, all my tackle is in the front.

15. Member
    My fishing partner has an SDC with 250 pro xs 2 stroke. His hole shot is good and we get 78-79 in tournaments, solo he runs 81ish. He runs a 28 Bravo1. He was considering selling his motor and getting a 300R but after hearing HK’s issues he is thinking twice. My question is how can my buddies boat with a 250 out perform HK’s? Is it the weight of the 4 stroke or what?

16. Member
    Performance Marine in Lake Placid Fl. has a 29 Max5ST for $1995.00

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Warrix View Post
    The first prop I used when my boat was new was a 29 Max5st with the 1.60. It ran high 89 at about 5600 to 5700.
    I traded it with Mercury for a 27 m5st. It will run 92 at solo near limiter, but the hole shot / getting on plane is very slow solo. Add 250 pound partner and livewells full and your partner must get up on front deck to get on plane in any short distance at all.
    Even with 1.75 it takes a Bravo "XS I emphasis" to get the boat up on plane loaded with tackle, fuel, livewell and fish quickly like most tournament fisherman want.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Warrix View Post
    I would need another boat to tow me to be able to get on plane with a 29 5 blade, I almost have to do that to get on plane with the 26 five blade that i have now. I have watched Andy Morgan take off like a rocket in his boat with a 250 rude, not sure what set up he has but it is a damn sight better than mine. I don't mind a slow hole shot but when you have to either have someone lay on the front deck or turn boat hard to the left or right just to get on plane is not right, especially with a 300R. My Triton has the 300xs racing engine with 175 TM, 26 Fury, it is slow out of the hole in the summer when loaded but not near as bad as my Bullet, I bet that Triton is 400 pounds heavier than the Bullet. Maybe it is my engine, if the 25 Promax does not do me any good i am bringing it back to dealer to have it checked out, maybe get a couple of the Bullet owners around lake Fork to drive it and see what they think.

19. Member
    I hope you get your rig figured out for optimum performance!!! Then we all will be watching our computers daily for some awesome Bullet videos from Happy Kamper!!

Good luck Buddy!!
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

Have you talked to falconpilot about prop choice? He went thru $10 grand til he found one for his bullet. He may be able to save you some time and may even have the prop you need still for sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast