Ultimate Bunk Boards on Nitro Trailer?

Hi all - am thinking about putting Ultimate Bunk Boards on my 2019 Z19 trailer. What are your thoughts? For some reason, I remember reading on here that when replacing the bunks boards with new 2x4's, you need to sand down the edges or something in order for the boat to sit evenly/squarely on the new trailer bunks. Is this true? Also, anyone already have the Ultimate Bunk Boards on their trailer?

Thanks!
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

Gatorbak

Your Welcome!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    I put them on my 2013 Z7 trailer last year and they work fine for me. No wood to rot and they are easier to load and launch.

If your willing always sand and round the edges. I don't feel its necessary, but can prevent some issues.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    I have had no issues with replacing my bunk boards with treated 2x4s and carpet from Home Depot. Sanding and rounding the edges is not necessary, but if it makes you feel better about it go for it.
    2011 Nitro Z7
    2011 150 Mercury Optimax

6. Member
    Thanks all!

Lettuce know how it works out, I will be ordering Gatorbaks for my new boat.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    Did a little more measuring and I can't do the Ultimate Bunks as the largest span between braces/supports is 56". Not going to spend $520 for the Supreme Bunk boards...they're nice...but out of my price range.

Going with Gatorbaks. Gave them a call and they suggest going with the GBRE350 model as my Nitro has the NVT Hull design. Will sand down one edge on each 2x4 and hope for the best.

9. Member
    I did the Gatorbaks on my Z19 last fall. I bought some treated 2X4's from Lowe's and let them dry for about 3 months. Based on the advice from Gatorbak I let them dry to 17% moisture content. Thankfully I had a moisture meter from my woodworking days. They also advised I paint the boards with a black oil based enamel, I used Rustoleum. They told me the inside longer bunks should have the rounded edges and the short ones could be the standard straight. I used a 3/4 inch round over bit on the edges of the long boards which was a good match for the rounded Gatorbaks. They have worked well for me. The new versions allow for power loading even though I try to do as little as possible. For a little while I got some rubber marks from them on my white hull but I could wipe them off pretty easily. That has mostly quit now.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrac View Post
    I did the Gatorbaks on my Z19 last fall. I bought some treated 2X4's from Lowe's and let them dry for about 3 months. Based on the advice from Gatorbak I let them dry to 17% moisture content. Thankfully I had a moisture meter from my woodworking days. They also advised I paint the boards with a black oil based enamel, I used Rustoleum. They told me the inside longer bunks should have the rounded edges and the short ones could be the standard straight. I used a 3/4 inch round over bit on the edges of the long boards which was a good match for the rounded Gatorbaks. They have worked well for me. The new versions allow for power loading even though I try to do as little as possible. For a little while I got some rubber marks from them on my white hull but I could wipe them off pretty easily. That has mostly quit now.
    GREAT Info and thank you for letting me know. What year is your Z19 and does it have the NVT hull?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twise7 View Post
    GREAT Info and thank you for letting me know. What year is your Z19 and does it have the NVT hull?
    2018 and yes it is the NVT.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrac View Post
    2018 and yes it is the NVT.
    Cool - thanks!

13. Member
    Anyone know the bunk lengths for a 2017 Z19 tandem trailer? I have to replace mine and forgot to grab measurements before dropping it off in storage.

14. Member
    With gators you still use wood?they just replace carpet?

Not sure of the lengths for your Z19, but I've got a 2016 Z21 and these are mine...so if anything, yours should be a little shorter. Two at 140", two at 57", and two at 69.5".
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Just be careful trailer bunk configs changed more than once on some boats between 2016 and 2021.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

17. Member
    Was just trying to get a rough idea, believe mine only has 4 bunks. Have some leftover cypress siding I was going to take up to the lake to make the new bunks out of.