Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hull Cracks - Alumascraft 175 Pro

Alumacraft 175 Pro - If a mod sees this please update the thread title.

I found my leak, and it is much worse then expected. I wish I would have crawled around under the boat before I redid every bolt, thru hull, pump and plumbing connection on the boat.

It looks like it cracked right on welds for the internal structure, I can see all the welds looking up and down the hull and these have paint flaking away and a visible crack, what looks like a smudge running down the hull appears to be a mineral trail left by our hard water as it runs down the boat and drips off or dries.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Every; 07-15-2020 at 04:38 PM.

2. Member
    Bad luck. I think it's worth giving them a call and seeing what they can do and where you are with warranties.

That is a stress crack. My 2013 RT188 cracked just like yours and Ranger replaced the Hull. I know of 4 others they replaced and the last one was welded 3 times before they finally gave up and replaced it.
    I would want a new hull but you are at the mercy of the manufacturer. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    Thats a mess.

5. Member
    Heard back from Alumacraft, the warranty is only 5 years. They suggested I take it some where to get welded.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Every View Post
    Heard back from Alumacraft, the warranty is only 5 years. They suggested I take it some where to get welded.
    Well that totally sucks. You can definitely get it welded and if at all possible have it welded on both sides of the cracks. In a best case situation I would also recommend adding additional bracing on the interior of the hull as the boat must be having some flexing in the hull. Unfortunately I have some experience in this area from a prior boat and these stress cracks can reappear after repairs are made.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

7. Member
    Looking at options, options one is figure out how to get the floor out and have it welded. Option 2 is F@# it and see if I can buy a new hull only, started a new thread to ask if anyone will sell me just a hull.

8. Member
    Wow. Total B.S. I almost bought a new one glad I didn't.
    If you go on their website the warranty says to contact your dealer.
    I thought aluminum boats these days came with a lifetime warranty?
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

9. Member
    I thought Alumacrafts warranty was better and I was wrong.
    Last edited by Every; 07-15-2020 at 04:39 PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Every View Post
    Looking at options, options one is figure out how to get the floor out and have it welded. Option 2 is F@# it and see if I can buy a new hull only, started a new thread to ask if anyone will sell me just a hull.
    Yeah that totally sucks if you never really hit anything, I bet a good welder can fix it but you might have to disassemble the entire interior so he can access it. If you decide to go that route, let us know how it turns out and what the welder says about the factory welds.

11. Member
    The horror stories I could tell from the 6 years I was a dealer for them. Thank you Lund for pulling me away from them.

12. Member
    Time to move on. I am going to take the trolling motor and front graph and leave the Elite 5 on the console. The motor (2013 60HP Mercury 4 stroke) was just serviced 10 hours ago (lower unit/oil/spark plugs/impeller) and has 200 hours on it. I have titles in hand any guess on value? The trailer is decent and the motor is perfect. The boat is in decent shape... except for the whole cracked hull, lol.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texoma View Post
    The horror stories I could tell from the 6 years I was a dealer for them. Thank you Lund for pulling me away from them.
    Wow, that's too bad. All you hear about here in the upper midwest is how great Alumacraft, Crestliner and Lund aluminum boats are from all of the owners. Glad to hear Lund is working out better for you. Were they quality issues or issues dealing with the factory as a dealer? Maybe BRP will improve things.

14. Member
    Another welded hull failure. I'm starting to believe that you have to baby a welded hull in any sort of rough conditions to attempt to prevent weld failures. Because if you go out there and power through wakes, and rough chop, its only a matter of time, seems to be the case across most brands.

15. Member
    All you hear about here in the upper midwest is how great Alumacraft, Crestliner and Lund aluminum boats are from all of the owners.
    Deep V boats probably, Alumacraft Deep V are tanks with a 20 year warranty on the 2XB hull, If I was into trolling I would consider an Alumacraft Deep V. Will not do flat bottom again.

16. Member
    Those cracks can be fixed. Do not goto a boat dealer. They can be welded up from the outside only. Paint removed. A good aluminum welder can do it. Too bad your in mesa... I got a friend who would get done proper. You got a boat you like, out of warranty, time to improvise. Look for a machine shop or welding shop with a lot of junk laying around. Those are the guys you want. I have a friend in mesa, he is researching places now...
    Heck, put some duct tape on it and go fishing!!

17. Member
    Gorilla tape has a waterproof tape that I'm using to cover some old transducer mount holes and also to hold my loose keel guard on. So the above is not a bad idea. The only time I have to replace the tape on the hull is when I run the boat up on a shore that has lots of gravel. Stuff is amazing.
    Last edited by RichW; 08-08-2020 at 11:22 AM.
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

18. Banned
    Alumacraft riveted boats are as good as any out there! I've bought 2 new ones, and they are tanks!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    Wow, that's too bad. All you hear about here in the upper midwest is how great Alumacraft, Crestliner and Lund aluminum boats are from all of the owners. Glad to hear Lund is working out better for you. Were they quality issues or issues dealing with the factory as a dealer? Maybe BRP will improve things.
    Alumacraft Arkansas welded boat factory mostly. Lund did not make excuses back then. They just solved the problem right then and their. If a dealer called Lund, problem was solved before they got off the phone.

I dont sell Lund anymore. Pontoons by Lowe is the business decision that had to be made. Roughnecks are good sellers also. Have to make money or get the heck out of this stressful business.

20. Member
    I don't ever want to risk being in the middle of the lake with my boys (2 and 4) and have it open up a lot and cause an emergency. I am going to sell it (7k ish?) and buy not a flat bottom that the wife may actually like riding in with more motor 100+ hp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast