Champion seat post insert question

Getting ready to replace carpet & pad deck on my 1997 186 elite.

the rear seat post & insert has always been a pipe wrench situation (will go in but never out & I won't use it because of this)) The front seat post is loose due to plastic insert in base missing a chuck of plastic & clip doesn't function.

I want to address this issue while carpet is out so its a nice clean finished product & don't mind replacing post or any other part as long as they function properly (often have a co angler on back deck)

I understand some Champ owners have had similar issues. I'd like to be able to take seats out while trailering & have trouble free removal on water.

What have you guys done to address this? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks guys this page has been a world of help for me.

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    In 1997 your bases and pedestals would have been 1.75” in diameter. Newer ones are 1.77”. I am not sure if replacing your bases would make your pedestals too loose, but someone should be able to help here. If you are lucky enuf to find 1.75” bases, take seats out as soon as you come off the water. I have always done this and never had an issue. For some reason, leaving them in often causes the sticking problem.

Some folks have sanded the paint off an inch or so of the pedestal bottom. Others have used a flap wheel sander on inside of bases, but if you need to replace the base or bases, no need for that.
    Last edited by Lea; 07-12-2020 at 09:23 PM.

3. Member
    Lea, I have sanded off paint & that helped a little.

I did see some black rubber/plastic inserts for sale that will convert it to a 3/4" situation.

I'm sure somebody has dealt with this and will chime in at some point :)

4. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

The problem with the inserts is that they will require new pedestals. Not a cheap proposition...
    Last edited by Lea; 07-13-2020 at 12:29 PM.

I ran the flap wheel of a dremel tool in the seat base in my 196, then lightly greased the pedestal bottom...and I do mean LIGHTLY. Seemed to help a bunch...

6. Member
    When my front pedestal base broke a couple years ago I just replaced it with a 1.77" standard base. I still have to use a pipe wrench of the back pedestal to get it out of it's original base.

If you're already doing carpet and padding I would replace both bases with new 1.77", I didn't and my front base broke 6 months after the new carpet went in so I had to cut hole in carpet to replace it. It sounds like you already have 1.77" pedestals.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

7. Member
    Spidergrub......how labor intensive is replacing base? I don't mind spending the money on parts/posts etc. I just want to do it right before laying carpet.

8. Member
    It wasn't bad, bolts came right out, surprised me, I could get to nuts from access in my center hatch. Plate was in a recessed tray, had to get putty like substance out. Put new plate in it and leveled with dolfinite bedding compound
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

9. Member
    I likely can get to it from center hatch or through recessed trolling tray........as long as the clip in the post isn't an issue that's my plan.........back deck another story I'll look tomorrow. Thank you

10. Member
    Jay, the easiest is to just use the flap sander on the hole, or use a palm sander to take down the base of the 1.75/1.77 poles. Also the clip inside the pole is a pain in the butt. I removed the clips from the posts, very easy job. Just push the tab in and off center to hold it inside the pole, them remove the clip with a pair of needle nose. Once the clips are out you don't have to fight with the, push tab in and rotate pole B/S. Just stand over the seat and rock back and forth , side to side as you pull up from the seat. Those poles won't bounce out when on the water, mine have been out for about three years now. Save the clips, you can reinstall them.

IMG_1915.JPGIMG_1917.JPGIMG_1918.JPG

Gotta love that 97 186. Ran one for ten years. Great ChampioN.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

11. Member
    Thanks ed........that may work on the rear deck but I'm missing a chunk of plastic in the front deck base so the front post is never tight.

Ya, I love this boat.......waiting on the 307 seats from Lebroc & I have the Bass Cat carpet & pad here. When seats come in I'll start that project. I did drill & punch out rivets attaching the aluminum carpet trim (not to difficult).

It's a smallish & narrow boat in comparison to other rigs I see at the ramps. But most of my fishing is alone & I'm doing a lot of night fishing this year so the size makes it easy for me manage on/off trailer in the dark.

Also being from New England most of my local lakes are not so big that I feel I need a bigger rig. .........It's fast enough for me & handles like a wet dream :)

Switch to this. Took me longer to unpackage them than install em. https://www.boatersland.com/attwood-...xoCL4oQAvD_BwE

13. Member
    MMosher......I was looking at those the other day......seems like a hands down fast fix, thank you

14. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Won't you need new pedestals to fit?

15. Member
    I’m going to use this & get a new pedestal for the front as I’m missing a chunk of the plastic insert...... for the rear I’ll just take current pedestal to the grinder & make it work