Lower unit went out 2019 250 proxs four stroke.

2B590790. Was out fishing a tournament yesterday and while driving motor started bogging down for a second then pop. I started trying to troubleshoot, I could spin prop while in gear with my hand. Got home and took prop and hub off and found the fill plug for lower unit gone. Has anybody had this happen or know of it. I do not service my boat I let the dealer do it that I bought it from. Wondering if maybe it wasn't tightend back down correctly or just left off.

2. Member
    Yes it did happen to me. Very frustrating situation. This will not be covered by warranty so know that going in. Now just go from there. Good luck. (this was my previous 2-stroke, not my 4-stroke)
    Last edited by chasesfish; 07-12-2020 at 12:51 PM.

Sounds like something give.
    However I don't think you can put these motors in gear without the motor running even with a good LU.

4. Member
    Chasesfish did insurance cover or did you have to come out of pocket.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can't really shift these unless the engine is running.

Drain plug certainly shouldn't "fall" out. If that occurred, it simply was not properly tightened.

Improper Maintenance is not covered under the engine's warranty (that's something that has to be taken up with the dealer that serviced it). I would be getting it in to them ASAP, and having a calm, but candid conversation with their Service Manager.

Would be very surprised if "insurance" covered something like this (not even sure mechanical breakdown coverage would).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowlegged Minion View Post
    Chasesfish did insurance cover or did you have to come out of pocket.
    My last comment on this......out of pocket.

7. Member
    I would hope if you have receipts that mercury would help put some pressure on the dealer to fix it for you

8. Member
    good luck finding one,my local basspro turned in a warranty request for a new lower unit to mercury on my 250 pro xs 4 stroke om 6/30 and i'm told mercury may have one to ship to me on 7/27. Talk about customer service

Mine went out 6/17 and I just picked up my new lower unit ( BPS installed) today...
    warranty covered...
    internal failure
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

10. Member
    When I did my first lower unit oil change, the drain plugs were not more than finger tight. Pretty alarming. Merc 300 V's.

11. Member
    Got the call yesterday about lower unit. Its gonna be covered. Upper bearing locked up and drive shaft was broke. Said I should have lower shipped on july 30th.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by satbeachbill View Post
    When I did my first lower unit oil change, the drain plugs were not more than finger tight. Pretty alarming. Merc 300 V's.

same here on my 250. I was very surprised by how loose the lu plugs were

Quote Originally Posted by satbeachbill View Post
    same here on my 250. I was very surprised by how loose the lu plugs were
    Sounds like something to put on the check list..

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Believe the torque spec on those screws is only 100 lbs/in.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor