Thread: Hull Damage

Hull Damage

I’ve been lurking around the forum for a while, but I finally have a direct question. I’m in the market for a used bass boat, and a pretty nice 2002 Procraft 200 Super Pro went up for sale in my area. I’ve examined the boat pretty thoroughly and like the boat. The motor seems to be in good condition, but the major concern is a damaged area on the pad of the hull. It’s tough to get a real good idea of the damage from pictures, but I’ll try to post a few. My question is how do you gauge the amount of acceptable damage to a hull, and at what point do you walk away and look elsewhere. I don’t mind to tackle a small amount of gel coat damage, but I’m not wanting anything that affects structural integrity. This area has underwent repair in the past so it’s hard to tell the full extent. When I poked it with my finger there was flexing due to a large crack and water oozed out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Looks like a poor repair job to me. I'd be concerned with water damage that you can't see, especially the transom. I'd walk!

3. Member
    Very bad repair job. All of it needs grounded off let dry good and repair with glass , not bondo.

4. Member
    Scotty is on point. That's Bondo and nothing else. If it's been in the water in that condition KEEP SHOPPING! I has to be waterlogged.

5. Member
    I was pretty excited to have a boat go for sale close by, but was pretty bummed when I found the damage. Sounds like everyone is steering me in the direction I was leaning, walking away. If the fiberglass in a hull becomes water logged, does it cause delamination of the layers and is it repairable without pulling the top cap off and attacking from the inside?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KY404 View Post
    I was pretty excited to have a boat go for sale close by, but was pretty bummed when I found the damage. Sounds like everyone is steering me in the direction I was leaning, walking away. If the fiberglass in a hull becomes water logged, does it cause delamination of the layers and is it repairable without pulling the top cap off and attacking from the inside?

Depends on the depth of damage, surely the owner is not going to let you poke and prod on it to check it. If it is one of the true “super pro’s” with the swept back consoles, I would consider it as a project BUT I’ve been doing this kind of work for years and repair cost would be significantly less. Without seeing better pics and a core evaluation I’d say pass on it because if there is underlying issues you could be looking a potential 5k repair.

7. Fishing is a Passion
    A $5k repair would be worth it if the price of the boat reflected the damage. No mention as to the asking price.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

8. Member
    Keep looking

That’s a mess !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Now way I'd even consider it after seeing that !!

11. Member
    Not worth 20 bucks. Hull is trashed.

12. Moderator
    Walk away fast. Not worth the effort to fix.

13. Member
    Everybody has told you...walk away. Or buy it for the price of the motor after you get it checked out
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

14. Member
    Welcome!
    I'd keep looking and pass on that.

no way!