2001 225 Optimax S/N 0T207263 Cut off @ 5000 RPM

Motor ran great all day yesterday. Was working my way back to weigh in. Had just got on pad and ran maybe a half mile turning around 5000 rpm and motor just shut down. Came to stop trimmed up check to make sure nothing wrapped around prop. Trimmed down start motor with no problem idled for a minute sounded good. Tried to take off again and it died again. Tried to start again motor turned over 3-4 times longer than it typically does to start and when it finally started it sputtered. Shut down and trolling motor back to ramp. There is a Smart Craft gauge on dash never gave any alarms. Removed belt and check compressor no slope in pulley and it will build up compression. Don’t know where to go from here.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Adequate fuel in gas tank (don't trust your gauge this "once")?

Primer bulb pumped firm before each startup? Does it get firm?

Fuel lines been inspected in the last year? Last replaced when?

Other maintenance?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Not a good way to find the fuel gauge sender is out of calibration. Bad thing is I had just switched tanks and the other tank still has plenty of gas.

4. Member
    I had a similar issue before. It turned out to be a broken air compressor. Is it the original compressor? However, air compressor is expensive, so before replacing it, try to look at fuel, oil (is the oil pump working), oil filter, and spark plugs