Thread: Lower unit

Lower unit

2boo9069
    A good while back i posted i was getting getting a tad of water in my LU. I performed the needed test using a store bought vacum/pressure tester accoding to Don and my service manual. After rotating and turning the drive shaft and prop shaft and soaping and the gauge holding i found nothing! Though while the foot was off i went ahead and changed the shift seal and drive shaft seal. Im still getting a tad bit of water. Been changing LU oil every six months. Im not mechanical challenged in no form. Wat am i missing? Am i over filling? Best i remember the sevice manual states 32.8 ozs. I had thought about only using 28 ozs and just seeing? Its a standard verado style case. I always replace the yellow plug seals everytime i remove the plugs i have checked the prop shaft run out being a machinist its is ok as well. Wat am i missing? Am i overlooking something, im still getting a tad of water (maybe a 1/4 cup).
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

I wouldn't add the fluid amount exactly what the manual states as it may be different than what your lower unit holds. Can you get 32.8 ounces of fluid in without it coming out of the vent hole with the lower unit level?
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    When filling, you fill from the bottom until fluid just reaches the bottom of the upper (vent) screw opening. NOT until pouring out, and not until "X or Y" number of ounces have been forced into the gearcase.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    The way ive done it since 1989 my first merc. In the perfect world of castings a x y could be precise. Though with the variation of casting i fully understand x y could never be precise. Generally 32 oz is flush on my lower. Any recommendations on the incoming water?
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

5. Member
    Check the seal under the water pump ?

6. Member
    Savage are you talking about the drive shaft seal. I replaced that as a assembly (simply replaced the part with the seal on it.?
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

7. Member
    I would change both prop shaft seals, if you are getting a "1/4 cup" of water.

8. Member
    I figure that is the only thing left It can be unless the case has a small crack somewhere. I have seen a few carriers crack. The puzzel is the gauge holds. Heat expansion is all i can figure
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

9. Member
    Gauge holds positive pressure because of the inner seal, but you have an issue with the other seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Gauge holds positive pressure because of the inner seal, but you have an issue with the other seal.
    Good to know.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

11. Member
    Looking at my service manual it appears the gear has to come out of the carrier to access the seals. Is this so? Or can the carrier be pulled andthe seals be acessable
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

12. Member
    is so ,on VERADO stlye cases gear has to come out seals install from front of carrier
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Member
    I was gna buy the spanner tool and the carrier puller. But add those other pullers in and it be xheaper to have the job performed.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

14. Member
    agree and with a warranty too
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................