Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Explain your start up sequence...is the motor tilted down when the idle deteriorates. Have you tried trimming it up when it happens and see what happens? Are the 2 round exhaust housing holes in mid section covered when idle deteriorates? Have you ran a compression check? What plugs you running? Should be CHAMPION QL77JC4 gapped at .030

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    I have seen some worn motors that dont idle good and jetting leaner to attain a decent one but usually when it at that stage, time for a refresh.

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Verify your enricher primer valve red lever is in the right position and not leaking thru(crimp rubber manifold feed line and see if improves/dont damage it use small clamp of some type)

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Explain your start up sequence...is the motor tilted down when the idle deteriorates. Have you tried trimming it up when it happens and see what happens? Are the 2 round exhaust housing holes in mid section covered when idle deteriorates? Have you ran a compression check? What plugs you running? Should be CHAMPION QL77JC4 gapped at .030
    Turn key
    Push key in for 2 seconds
    Start.. and it starts, everytime.

Occasionally it will start and idle for only a couple seconds before it dies.. but reprime second time and its good. Never more than twice.

I dont know what you mean when you say "idle deteriorates". Motor is trimmed down when accelerating.. im sure its been up a few times.. but i havent paid attention to performance when i do that sense i usually just trim it down when i realize it.. i have a 6" hydraulic jack plate so i tend to keep it pretty high.. im sure those holes are able to breathe.

Compression hasnt been checked but i just had it honed and installed new rings in the spring of this year.. im sure they all check out.. this motor screams. A lot of power. For a 150 anyway. Its just that acceleration issue that i deal with far too often, other than that. This motor does what its meant to do.

Ql77jc4 as reccomend in my omc manual..
    Last edited by Jduq12; 07-13-2021 at 05:52 PM.

5. Member
    Just so we are on the same page, the motor idles great. In idle and in gear..

6. Member
    Does not stall.. untill acceleration is applied. But sometimes its fine. If i drive around like a mad man and come down to idle for a few seconds(lets say 5-10sec) i can romp on it and it rockets outta the hole as it should...

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jduq12 View Post
    Turn key
    Push key in for 2 seconds
    Start.. and it starts, everytime.

Occasionally it will start and idle for only a couple seconds before it dies.. but reprime second time and its good. Never more than twice.

I dont know what you mean when you say "idle deteriorates". Motor is trimmed down when accelerating.. im sure its been up a few times.. but i havent paid attention to performance when i do that sense i usually just trim it down when i realize it.. i have a 6" hydraulic jack plate so i tend to keep it pretty high.. im sure those holes are able to breathe.

Compression hasnt been checked but i just had it honed and installed new rings in the spring of this year.. im sure they all check out.. this motor screams. A lot of power. For a 150 anyway. Its just that acceleration issue that i deal with far too often, other than that. This motor does what its meant to do.

Ql77jc4 as reccomend in my omc manual..
    This is not the recommended start procedure.
    1) pump primer bulb till firm
    2) engage the neutral only operation and advance the throttle slightly.
    3) turn key to on, press key in and hold in , crank the engine.
    4) once engine starts release key. Press in key again to enrich engine if needed. Advance throttle a little if needed.

simply pressing in the key only injects a little fuel and is usually insufficient to start cold. The key need to be pressed in a held there durning cranking.

8. Member
    Remember, this is an acceleration issue... is a slight incorrect starting procedure to the extent of priming prior to cranking vs priming while cranking a possible suspect? Seems to me youre focusing on an issue that i have no issues with. If for some wild and crazy reason my starting procedure (which ive mentioned, starts and runs first crank, 9 out of 10 times with an exception for the 1 time i may have to crank twice- reason being i didnt hold in primer long enough=lack of starting fuel) is causing the Acceleration issue, feel free to send me your venmo account and i will be more than happy to send you $100

9. Member
    Sorry to offend. Good luck

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighare View Post
    Sorry to offend. Good luck
    I apologize, this motors got me a bit sensitive.

11. Member
    I scored 2 '88 gt150s this week.. I rebuilt the carbs from one of them and tested her out today.. Most satisfying ride ive had since ive owned the boat(7years).. the carbs/carb i had were bad, though inspecting them showed no signs of failure..

12. Member
    Fully loaded ranger 375v with raker 3 blade 14-1/4 x 22 57mph 5600rpms

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123