Replacing and 109 pound motor guide 36 V with the new 36 V Ultrex on a 1993 Ranger

1993 392 Ranger installing 36 V Ultrex

I just posted this in the Ranger boat thread also I wasn’t sure which to post in so posted in both.

I’m replacing my 109 pound motor guide with the new 36 volt Ultrex on my 1993 392 Ranger and I need help with wiring the plug my boat has three wires going to the motor guide plug and the 36 V Ultrex only has two wires coming from it can anybody tell me how to wire this in?

2. Member
    If that is original wiring it might be good to run some new 4 or 6 gauge wire and make sure the batteries are wired in series correctly.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

What color are those wires and where do they connect at the batteries ?
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    If you have a voltmeter, test the receptacle to see where you get 36 plus volts.

Wire the new leads to the appropriate pins on the plug.

On a boat that old, a complete rewire would very likely be appropriate. Get the proper size wire, breakers, etc.

That said, the boat did not come with a 36 volt MG from Flippin. The wiring may be OK. Suggest check it out.

Black white red

6. Member
    Original was probably a 12-24 volt motorguide.

Quote Originally Posted by The Woodman View Post
    Black white red
    You'll only need the RED and BLACK wires.

Black - Ground/- Neg from BATTERY 3 all the way to the front female plug leg, corresponding male plug leg on TM

Red - Hot/+ Pos from BATTERY 1 to a 60 amp Breaker (IN) then Red to the (OUT) side of Breaker to the front plug POS/+ lug on the plug and the corresponding lug on the TM plug. Or if you have a cut off switch, to the IN side and then the Red from the front to the OUT side of the switch. If you don't have a cut off switch, now is a great time to install one. You should either up plug or cut off the TM before charging the batteries.

You can use a short piece of the WHITE wire (You could pull this wire out if you wish as the likelihood of you ever using it again are Slim to None !! Just make sure it's not attached to the other wires and will pull out fairly easy !) to make a Jumper from the NEG on BATTERY 1 to to the POS on BATTERY 2 and another Jumper from the NEG of BATTERY 2 to the POS on BATTERY 3. (You could also buy or make a jumper using any color 8 awg wire. You can buy these at most Auto Supply store)

Using a Volt/Ohm meter, check to make sure you have 36 v at the front plug and that the correct lug on the plug matches the lug on the plug on the TM.
    Last edited by wmitch2; 07-13-2020 at 04:40 PM.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents