Lowrance interface cable

I've got a 2009 df150 4 stroke on our tritoon. Been noticing the tach is not accurate any more. I've been wanting to add an interface cable to my lowrance gen 2 hds unit on the boat. I have this on my yamaha on my bullet, but looking at the susuki cables, there are several and also adapter cables. What would I need to hook this up? Neama network is there now.

Thanks

2. Member
    Pretty straightforward job.

You will need:

A suzuki engine interface cable, this is the part, it comes with a network T piece which you will insert into the existing backbone.

https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...9-38p71396.htm

And, assuming that you will keep your analogue gauges/tach with the warning/fault code lights (which is advisable) you will need this adapter cable to connect the interface cable to the SDS (diagnostic plug) on the engine:

https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...S-38p63581.htm

Now, I always recommend that you cut the SDS adapter cable in half and solder and heat shrink in an extension so that it is long enough to run from the engine, back thru the rigging tube to the boat, and up to the dash, where you then connect it to the interface cable. This approach keeps the interface cable AND all of the network backbone connections up behind the dash where its cool, clean and most importantly , DRY. Here in Australia, Suzuki sells the SDS adapter cable as a 6meter long cable for this reason. I don’t understand why they don’t do the same thing in the USA.

Once its all installed, you MUST do the configuration. You will use one of the networked HDS units to do this.

When you first connect it all up to the network and turn the engine key on, the HDS may prompt you to do this. But if it doesnt, these are the REQUIRED steps.

1. turn Engine key on. Unless the engine key is on, the network wont see the interface. So turn key on to where the beep is heard. Then, in HDS menu, select menu/settings/fuel then select vessel setup. Set the vessel arrangement to match your boat eg 1 engine/1 tank, and set the fuel tank capacity. Save and exit.

2. Menu/settings/network/device list, select the Suzuki device and then select configure. Set the engine location using the dropdown as centre. Ignore the engine year and horsepower settings, they are automatically detected and set by the interface at the engine family and ecu base year. They may look wrong but trust me, just ignore them they cant be changed anyway (if you do they will just revert back).

Thats it, done.

I always suggest running a auto detect for network data sources as a final step. Menu/settings/network then select auto configure data sources. Turn ALL networked devices on first.

3. Member
    Thanks. Lot more to it than my yamaha. Just had to overlay the data such as rpm and fuel pressure. I'll order the needed cables. Thanks again

4. Member
    Is the adapter cable needed to read data such as engine hours, rom, trim positions?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCranks View Post
    Is the adapter cable needed to read data such as engine hours, rom, trim positions?
    Without the adapter cable, the interface cable cannot be connected to the engine! Therefore without it, NO engine data. Zip.

I’m not in the habit of telling people to do something unless it is required.... but will explain the reasons anyway so you understand.

All the engine data comes via the interface cable.

The reason for needing the adapter cable is that the interface cable is normally intended to be used when you run only digital gauges, and then, its connected to the gauge harness behind the dash. The gauge harness has a female plug and the interface cable has a male connector. So they work together as you would expect.

But when you keep the analogue gauges, you have to connect the interface to the digital data output on the engine, which is a male connector. Of course, a male plug wont plug into another male plug.

So, the adapter cable simply enables the M to F connection at the engine end.

if you currently have an analogue trim gauge, you wont get trim data onto the Lowrance - its one or the other. If you want trim data on the Lowrance, you will need to unplug the trim gauge from the harness behind the dash, and connect the 2 pin plug on the interface cable to the plug where the trim gauge was connected.

The following Suzuki engine data is transmitted to the network via the interface cable:

RPM, alternator voltage, engine temperature, engine hours, trim, fuel flow rate, fuel used, seasonal fuel used, trip fuel used. Engine diagnostics are also transmitted from later models but only show on Suzuki digital gauges. Engines with Fly-By-Wire digital throttle control also get transmission gear.

You can also get additional sensors including water speed, water pressure, fluid levels, and water temperature to add to your network or engine.

You can overlay any of the engine or fuel data onto any HDS page. You will also see virtual dashboard pages on the HDS Instruments pages. Note that these pages are generic, and will have some gauges for data that is not available from Suzuki engines.

On the Yamaha, you would have needed a Fuel Data Manager device on the network to retain fuel used data. This device is incorporated into the Suzuki interface cable so you wont need to add the FDM to the network with the Suzuki.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 07-12-2020 at 01:58 AM.

6. Member
    All I want is true rpms, my tach has not been accurate of late, hours, and possibly water pressure. I do use the fuel pressure overlay on my Yamaha due to being a hpdi it's important to me to monitor that. I'll probably order tomorrow and put in this weekend if it arrives. I haven't installed the network on the tritoon yet, but I have everything to do that.

7. Member
    Water pressure is not a standard output. You’ll need to get a separate sensor for that

This one:
    https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...r-39p63583.htm

You are going to a lot of trouble and expense with setting up the network and the data is great - but why not just get the tacho sorted out? And with a Suzuki tacho, it gives an indication of engine hrs every time the engine is started, granted its not super accurate but its an indication.

8. Member
    Great info moonlighter, question, can this set up work with my 2020 20 hp tiller?? Thanks!

9. Member
    Yes it can.

You will however need a different model interface cable - this one
    https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...5-38p71395.htm

And I believe you will need a different adapter cable for the small hp motors if you already have and want to keep analogue gauges. Here in Australia its part number is 36660-89L00-000. I am not sure if you need this adapter cable if you just want to run digital gauges. Perhaps talk to one of the larger Suzuki suppliers in your area and ask if they know and also, if they can supply that adapter cable if it is needed.

I havent helped set up any small motors, but I do know that motors down to 9hp can run with this system.

Here is a link to a page on Suzuki Au webpage that has parts details and shows the part referred to above. I do think we may use a different parts numbering system over here for some unknown reason.

https://www.suzukimarine.com.au/asse...ultiguages.pdf

If you have no gauges at all at present, another option, if you run Lowrance EliteTi series or HDS, or Simrad GO or NSS displays, is to use the “Suzuki Connect interface cable” instead of the standard interface cable. It adds to the functionality of the standard cable by also providing engine fault codes and service reminders onto those displays.

Here is a link to the discussion we had a while ago over on THT about this new cable, if you go to post #33 they posted a copy of the user manual for that cable that might be of interest.
    https://www.thehulltruth.com/outboar...e-cable-2.html

10. Member
    Great info wow!! I have no gauges, it's a clamp on portable motor. Would like to upgrade electronics in the future. Thanks!!