PC viewing Solix snapshots

What program,do,I need to get in order to veiw snapshots taken on a Solix unit saved to a card? I used to do this with my old 1198,and old Helix units. I noticed these older snapshots I saved are in a PNG extension. The solix files are in a .son extension which at least seems to be used for audio files. I tried using photo viewer and Humveiw to no avail.

TIA to anyone who can point me in the right direction

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TB Doppler View Post
    What program,do,I need to get in order to veiw snapshots taken on a Solix unit saved to a card? I used to do this with my old 1198,and old Helix units. I noticed these older snapshots I saved are in a PNG extension. The solix files are in a .son extension which at least seems to be used for audio files. I tried using photo viewer and Humveiw to no avail.

TIA to anyone who can point me in the right direction
    I don't think the .son files are the pictures. On my Solix 15 (my previous G1 and now G2) the snapshots are in .jpg format and I can use any viewer I want to view them. There is a setting where you can save some additional data with your snapshots which I don't do. Maybe that is the difference. It may be that there is both a .jpg and corresponding .son files for each snapshot. Maybe somebody who knows for sure will chime in.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

The picture files have a snp prefix and the first six digits is the date.

AND snapshots are not written to a memory card unless you set the unit to do that.
    Default is the unit's memory.
    You can copy the snapshots to a memory card from the unit's memory.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 07-11-2020 at 06:25 AM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Thanks a lot. I guess I was assuming the .son file extensions were snapshots I had taken. When I get my boat back I will hook up the units and export pictures to the card. I think with the old 1198, I had to have a card in to be able to capture a snapshot.,To the best of my knowledge I have only used the card in the Solix to download software updates,to the unit and Exporting Mac dats so I could reorganize/ name Using HB PC. I don’t believe I used them with anything else.

Is the .son anything related to the unots? Should I just delete?

Quote Originally Posted by TB Doppler View Post
    Thanks a lot. I guess I was assuming the .son file extensions were snapshots I had taken. When I get my boat back I will hook up the units and export pictures to the card. I think with the old 1198, I had to have a card in to be able to capture a snapshot.,To the best of my knowledge I have only used the card in the Solix to download software updates,to the unit and Exporting Mac dats so I could reorganize/ name Using HB PC. I don’t believe I used them with anything else.

Is the .son anything related to the unots? Should I just delete?
    Could be sonar log recordings, been a long time since I did any recordings with a SOLIX.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    As Wayne mentioned .son files are part of the Humminbird sonar logging system for a particular transducer. These files are created when a user selects the sonar recording option on a unit and the files log each ping received by that transducer during the recording session. On the core and Helix units these log files are stored in a RECORD directory. The contents of the RECORD directory may be deleted if you do not want to use the log files for other purposes like AutoChart, etc.