Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Nationwide change shortage?

In the last week I’ve seen 3 different businesses that had signs stating they need change due to a nationwide shortage. What’s going on and why is there a shortage of change? Can’t they go to the bank and get rolls of change?

2. Member
    All local Walmart’s have signs up but here’s the issue with it. Banks here won’t give u change for a business cause the lobby is closed and won’t send it thru the tube

3. Member
    It's all part of the big plan, wait while I adjust my tin foil hat, the powers to be can't track your every move if you continue to use cash.........think about it.
    Jerry "Rat-L-Trap" Lehman
    Never Enough "Traps"
    Triton TR-21 Merc Optimax 225
    Living Life Large at Toledo Bend

4. robdy72
    All businesses wanting change, but yet they are promoting using card only at a lot of places.

5. Member
    So they can’t send a roll of Quarters thru the tube at the bank drive thru? Nuts!

6. Member
    My Dad worked for the Federal Reserve bank in Cincinnati, they would use coal shovels to load the coin sorting and wrapping machines. They also use to bail and burn the old paper money, now they shred it and use it for mulch at vineyards etc.

7. Member
    Let me fix my paper hat LOL, maybe consider this : During covid 19 alot more online shopping (digital money) has been occuring. On top of that, alot of transactions that occur in person, drive through eateries, grocery stores, filling up with gas at your local station ect are via debit or credit card (for the last 30 years). Not as many coins going out into the market place. I am sure peoples piggy banks are filling up during all of this. Or it could be the big bad boogie man wearing a tin hat. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Ratltrap View Post
    It's all part of the big plan, wait while I adjust my tin foil hat, the powers to be can't track your every move if you continue to use cash.........think about it.
    Sure they can...with the 5G chip that will be in the C-19 vaccine!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

9. Member
    It would be ntetesting to know why the shortage.

The boogie Man doesn’t wear the hat. That’s silly.

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfall View Post
    So they can’t send a roll of Quarters thru the tube at the bank drive thru? Nuts!

The only place I have ever seen the tube is if its a drive thru with multiple lanes. The lane not adjacent to the building are the only ones with tubes. The inside lane has a drive thru window a person pulls right up to and they slide open a drawer. This is the set up my bank has and I have I personally sent change thru it in the last few months multiple times.

I have not heard of a change shortage in my area but if there is one I would be curious as to the real reason why.

11. Member
    Saw the signs up at my local Lowe’s on every register. Not sure how they can legally not take cash as it’s legal tender. And what if someone has exact change? If they need change so bad why not say exact change only?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robdy72 View Post
    All businesses wanting change, but yet they are promoting using card only at a lot of places.
    Walmart here has been phasing out cashier’s for a while and all of their quick self check outs are card only anyways. Now is the time you’ll see a big push from corporate chains to go Cashless in towns and cities.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

13. Member
    My wife works at a bank and she said they were having problems getting rolled coins from the federal reserve, said she handrolled over $500 dollars in quarters for customers today.
    2010 Xpress X21TS. 250 proXS
    2015 1860 grizzly. 40 Merc 4s

14. BIG BLUE NATION
    Don’t Worry....... Change is Coming, and Plenty of it!!!

15. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Id be good getting rid of coin
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

16. Member
    Alot of retail coin isn't rolled at bank level. It is sent off to the federal reserve for counting and rerolling. The Reserve was shut down for several weeks and now has a backlog of unrolled, uncounted coin. Just like every other process if you interrupt the supply chain for even a short period, shortages occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Saw the signs up at my local Lowe’s on every register. Not sure how they can legally not take cash as it’s legal tender. And what if someone has exact change? If they need change so bad why not say exact change only?
    Saw a story last night on the news about stores not taking cash. The story said that state law, rather than federal law, regulates this. Some states require retail stores to accept cash. But, most states do not have a law on the books, so stores there can do as they please.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

The last we cashed in our jar was 2017 before we went to Houston for the Classic and almost 500.00 in it, a couple of weeks ago we cashed it in for 349 and some chance.. that’s a lot spending on my part cause the wife charges almost all her purchases

19. Member
    Cash, both coins and notes, are some of the most germy, dirty, foul things around.

Tests routinely show up contamination with fecal matter, bacteria, illicit drugs and viruses.

https://time.com/4918626/money-germs-microbes-dirty/

You can understand why businesses dont want to handle it in the current COVID19 environment....

20. Banned
    My granddaughter works at a local bank and said the same thing. They have been paying them overtime to stay and roll coins.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast