New Champion owner with transducer question

Hi, guys. I just joined the Champion owners group. I bought a 1990 Champion 171 SC that has been garage kept it's whole life. It has a 1994 Evinrude 150 hp Intruder motor on it. With it's unique transom and rear end, is there anywhere back there where a transducer can be mounted and still operate under speed? Where it's mounted right now, it cuts out as soon as you take off. I'll try and put a picture of the boat on here as well as a picture of the rear. Thanks for any help!
    1990 Champion boat pic.jpg Boat rear end.jpg

A shoot through the hull transducer will solve the problem and will not be subject to hitting anything.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

3. Pat Goff
    Don’t run screws in the transom. Shoot thru just in front of drain plug. Clean your spot by sanding any bumps then clean with acetone. Use resin or 12 hour epoxy. It’ll read as fast as you can go.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

4. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Welcome, Tex! As said above, use a shoot-thru transducer inside the hull. And congrats on your Champ!

And make sure the holes where it is mounted now, get properly sealed up when you remove it!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Lea; 07-12-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Welcome and congrats. Do what Pat said...don't run screws in there. Just build a dam with modeling clay then put a shoot-thru in. It'll always read well...

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    According to post and pictures, there are already mounting holes in transom. What is the best thing for him to seal those up with when he removes that external transducer?

I would think either Marine Tex or 3M 4200. I have one like that too, but it's mounted on the step, just inboard of the R/H INBD bunk... I sealed my screw holes with Marine Tex per Pat's recommendation.

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I think I would go Marine Tex myself on that white hull.

9. Pat Goff
    Marine tex would be my choice also, AFTER I made dang sure it wasn't wet first.

Anyone who runs a screw into a champ transom should be public humiliated, then hung from a flag pole....
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Marine tex would be my choice also, AFTER I made dang sure it wasn't wet first.

Anyone who runs a screw into a champ transom should be public humiliated, then hung from a flag pole....
    I'm removing two transducers and a paddle wheel from the transom of a boat I recently purchased. I cringed when I saw all that. My plan is to take it to a good fiberglass guy as soon as he can work me in to patch all the holes. Is Marine Tex a better option to fill the holes with?

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    A professional patch is certainly the most desirable. Marine Tex is a waterproof 2 part epoxy putty. As Pat said, you want to make sure no water has intruded and gotten the transom wet.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    A professional patch is certainly the most desirable. Marine Tex is a waterproof 2 part epoxy putty. As Pat said, you want to make sure no water has intruded and gotten the transom wet.
    Thank you. I'm fortunate to have a real good fiberglass guy locally that will help me out, so I think I'm going to go that route and get it professionally fixed. I'm willing to spend the money to get it fixed right; I just sure hope the sealant has done it's job.