CMC Jackplate Wiring Question

Today I was installing some upgraded electronics and while under the dash I noticed something with he wiring on my jackplate switch. There was a large black wire (female connector) that looked like it should have been connected to the switch but wasn't. I was afraid to connect it and cause a short. There are only three wires connected to it and there all connected on one side of the switch. (Not sure if this is correct or not). . The plate though does run very slowly but I rarely move it. Ill try and get a pic if I can to help.

I wouldnt think the plate would even work if this was the ground wire but it was just odd that it was right at the switch and due to length it couldnt have reached any others.
    2008 Allison XB21 2+2
    2011 Mercury 300XS

2. Member
    Sorry for the double post, not sure what happened there.
    2008 Allison XB21 2+2
    2011 Mercury 300XS

3. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    If I remember correctly the JP switch uses one wire as the power (red) and the other two are from the solenoids that go up and down (blue and green) not sure which one is up or down though.

If it's slow make sure the thrust washers are not binding. This is very common with the CMC JP.

What kind of a switch are you referring to? You mean the blinker handle style behind the steering wheel? Left side is JP and right side is trim. I know on my first XB21 2+2 the JP switch was a spring loaded rocker located on the dash panel. I asked the dealer why in the hell is the JP switch on the dash board??
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies. Ended up finding the manual but thanks for the link. Ended up just doing a full maintenance, checking thrust washers and fluid levels. Lubed everything good and now works a lot better. Bled the hydraulics per the manual and topped off the fluid I believe made the most difference. Thrust washer seemed to be in spec. This is my third one and been on boats I have purchased but have never been a big fan of them especially after have a bobs. Just a lot smoother actuating plate IMO.
    2008 Allison XB21 2+2
    2011 Mercury 300XS