Comparison (For Those Who Use Both)

I've got a great ceramic egg cooker. I've been looking hard at the Rec Tec pellet cookers here lately. I know that the pellet cookers get rave reviews, but does meat suffer moisture loss in a pellet cooker vs. an egg type cooker. The only reason that I'm even entertaining the idea of a pellet cooker is due to not having enough surface area at times for gatherings and the overall simplicity of cooking on a grill that's so set it and leave it freeing up the need to watch it closely. Do any of you think that I'll be disappointed with a pellet grill since I've obtained great results on an egg? I'm ready to buy, just don't want to feel like I've made a mistake. Thanks!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    I've got a great ceramic egg cooker. I've been looking hard at the Rec Tec pellet cookers here lately. I know that the pellet cookers get rave reviews, but does meat suffer moisture loss in a pellet cooker vs. an egg type cooker. The only reason that I'm even entertaining the idea of a pellet cooker is due to not having enough surface area at times for gatherings and the overall simplicity of cooking on a grill that's so set it and leave it freeing up the need to watch it closely. Do any of you think that I'll be disappointed with a pellet grill since I've obtained great results on an egg? I'm ready to buy, just don't want to feel like I've made a mistake. Thanks!
    I 've got both and while you won't be disappointed with the pellet smoker, it is different. but the pellet deal is pretty damn easy since you just plug it in and throw some meat on there

I agree with Rtex. I have both as well (Kamado Joe-Traeger) and there is nothing better than the quality off an egg. But the simplicity of the pellet grills and the bug surface is nice. I definitely feel there is a loss of moisture and different flavor but im still happy with mine and use it often. Also a great combo for doing reverse sears on your steak. Smoke it in the pellet grill and sear it on the egg!
    1999 Ranger 519VS
    Journeyman Lineman
    IBEW 1245

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RTex View Post
    I 've got both and while you won't be disappointed with the pellet smoker, it is different. but the pellet deal is pretty damn easy since you just plug it in and throw some meat on there
    2 eggs and a rectec owner myself...this is the correct answer. Brisket off my eggs are better, meatloaf burgers are awesome on the rectec. Both are great

Baby back ribs. Which one?

6. kenny@bunchmarine
    Baby back ribs. Which one?
    If you do the 3-1-1 method with baby backs either will work out fine for you. I did 3 racks of baby backs on the trager for the 4th with the 3-1-1 at 225 . after 3 hrs I wrapped with butter, honey and rub.... turned out deliciously moist.

Thanks guys, more than likely will be ordering a Rec Tec 700 this week!

For long cooks like Pork butt....... no need to worry bout moisture becuz you are cooking at lower temps. I do baste my ribs about every hour or so when cooking them to keep them from drying out. But with steaks and burgers.....some of the juiciest meats ive ever seen. 20200410_181552.jpg
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

9. Banned
    If you want a more versatile RT....Bullseye back on stock. Never used 1 but it sure seems like a good piece of equipment. All SS now and a riot mode

10. Member
    Check out the new master built gravity series. Quickness and ease of a pellet grill but all natural fuel and better flavor

Just ordered a rectec 700 with the competition cart this morning! Can't wait to fire her up!