Thread: 200 optimax

200 optimax

i have 200 hp optimax. fully rebuilt two years. new crank, sleeves, pistons, reeds, air pump.

last summer i got stranded when the fuel line bulb sucked flat and wouldnt release. next day bulb was fine never had another issue.

this year i am having problems with bogging on take off, like its starving for fuel but not every time.

example: i leave dock, power up run a mile, power down idle through channel, power up no issues run several miles out, power down troll for 4 hours(same motor) go to leave power up and it bogs out like its starving for fuel. power down then go slow for awhile and then power up and no issue.

took kids tubing for full day and last pull of the tube, it did it again.

boat has duel gas lines for kicker motor(dont have) switched the lines. first trip out out no issues. next trip out same issue as explained above.

thoughts?

2. Banned
    Folks:

It will help you to receive faster, and more accurate responses if you will post your questions in the appropriate forum:

Mercury Motors (this forum)
    TWO STROKE models (Less than 135 hp).

Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5L Two Stroke motors (Carb, EFI, Optimax or Racing).

Mercury - 3 Liter & 3 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 3L Two Stroke motors (XS, ProXS Optimax, EFI, or Racing)

Mercury - 4 Stroke / Verado
    For discussions related to ALL Mercury 4 Stroke Engines.

For fastest/most-accurate assistance, please choose the correct forum.

Thanks!

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moved thread to the correct forum for you.

If you would, please take a few moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info (serial numnber) when posting. Thanks!

Are you pumping the primer bulb firm before EVERY engine start? This is ESPECIALLY important in warmer temps!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Don; Is it really necessary to pump the bulb before every use? Not questioning your expertise for sure. I would truly like to know. I have same motor as the OP and never had an issue. Maybe I have been lucky to not have fuel issues? I've owned some other Merc models on my different boats over the years and never pumped bulb either. I see folks mentioning this and you recommending this on several topics so it got me thinking is it necessary on all motors?

5. Member
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends on climate and fuel. I always pump at the first start of the day.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjncjn View Post
    Don; Is it really necessary to pump the bulb before every use? Not questioning your expertise for sure. I would truly like to know. I have same motor as the OP and never had an issue. Maybe I have been lucky to not have fuel issues? I've owned some other Merc models on my different boats over the years and never pumped bulb either. I see folks mentioning this and you recommending this on several topics so it got me thinking is it necessary on all motors?
    Don's answer will be "yes" just as he's posted here many, many times. The pulse pump needs liquid fuel to function and today's fuels will vaporize in the lines at temps as low as 60°.

I don't think those of us in the Pacific NW have quite as much a problem with this as maybe folks other regions of the country and that may well be a result differing fuel blends in other regions. I personally have never had a problem, but it's also no problem for me to pump the bulb prior to every engine start so I do.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Warmer air temps and higher RVP fuel blends make this absolutely necessary in many areas of the country.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I will be adding another item to the launch process because its very easy to do.