Replace / Repair Transducer Cable

Hey all.
    ECHOMap+ 73cv with a HW22TM transducer.
    Dealer did a poor job of rigging cable (tons of slack) and I kind of neglected to fix it. Now my transducer cable is severed in a few places - mostly very close to the transducer itself.
    Garmin's solution for me was "buy a new transducer" which seems absolutely ridiculous to me. They advised me not to try to splice it and told me my only remedy was a complete replacement.
    I ran a search of the forum but didn't find anyone else with this problem.

Thoughts? Advice? Anyone else run into something similar? I've found this item: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/522475 but the website is totally devoid of any detail. It would probably need to be at least 28" for me to be able to run it from where the break is on the transducer cable. Pretty shocked Garmin's response was just "buy a new one..." I suppose I could see if my dealer will consider it poor worksmanship and replace it, but frankly it was readily apparent and is something I should have noticed and solved before it got this bad so I don't feel great demanding they go out of pocket to make it right.
    2020 Triton TRX189 B B W
    Mercury ProXS 150 I B O
    Garmin EchoMAP Plus (2x) G A L
    Toyota 4Runner D F

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Well, why be mad at Garmin for suggesting getting a new one??

There have been guys that repaired their wiring and didn't have any issues, that goes for Garmin and Lowrance. When you say "close" to the transducer, is this portion of wiring under the water line?? You have a 50/50 chance of it working. At this point what do you have to lose. I'm no expert on this but if you get a wire crossed or something not correct, could it cause some type of issue with the unit? Then you may be out a unit also.....just things to think about.

If i were in this situation, i'd buy a new ducer.....that's just me.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    If you splice below the water line you have only one shot to find out if it is water tight or not.

4. Member
    It is below the waterline, that & possibility of damaging the unit itself are the main reasons I haven't just tried splicing it already. I'm honestly just thoroughly surprised there is no way to replace or repair the 'ducer cables. Seems like a very common failure point to not engineer to be replaceable, although I guess making you buy more garmin products is literally the point.
    2020 Triton TRX189 B B W
    Mercury ProXS 150 I B O
    Garmin EchoMAP Plus (2x) G A L
    Toyota 4Runner D F