Thread: 250 Pro XS

250 Pro XS

Missed getting the new 4 stroke by a month when ordered new boat. Now we have the 250 Pro XS and have issues yet again with this engine with only 85 hours. How many breakdowns before lemon law takes over? Coming from Yamaha V-max owned for 10 years and now issues. I have no confidence in this 250 Pro XS when making long runs now. Ruined two vacations now. Anyone else having issues with the engines?

2. Member
    Keep mine maintained, know how to operate it, and it's never left me stranded!

3. Banned
    Nope, I've owned 4 of them, all great motors... And the last one I got was just after Mercury announced they were discontinuing the 2 strokes... I'll let someone else be the Guinnea Pig with the 4 strokes... Initial reports are good, but I'm waiting for the year 4,5,6 reviews... Dan

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angle iron View Post
    Keep mine maintained, know how to operate it, and it's never left me stranded!
    It gets serviced yearly and I know how to operate a boat!

5. Member
    What issues have you had?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar76 View Post
    Missed getting the new 4 stroke by a month when ordered new boat. Now we have the 250 Pro XS and have issues yet again with this engine with only 85 hours. How many breakdowns before lemon law takes over? Coming from Yamaha V-max owned for 10 years and now issues. I have no confidence in this 250 Pro XS when making long runs now. Ruined two vacations now. Anyone else having issues with the engines?
    If you would, please take a few moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info (serial numnber) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angle iron View Post
    What issues have you had?
    First was some electronic sensor needed replaced after maiden voyage. When I would put it in gear it would start idling really fast and unable to get out of gear because idling to fast. Now the second time not sure as of yet as it is still at dealer. This time ran fine to first stop of the morning and was on way to second stop and started sounding weird and shaking really bad when coming down off pad so I shut it off. No longer starts and when towed back to ramp and pulled it out there was either oil or mixture of fuel and oil not burned coming from the engine out the exhaust and on the lower unit cover coming from every opening and seam. Had a marina look at it on vacation for a hour to make sure wasn't something simple and said all plugs were fouled and wasn't sure what is causing this but pointed to possible fuel valve or thermostat. Not sure how thermostat has anything to do with burning fuel but will see.

8. Member
    Thermostats with debris keeping them from sealing closed can cause the mixture to richen and foul plugs.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    From your description- it sounds like a LOT of fuel or oil leakage (and that needs to be addressed FIRST).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Ended up being tracker diaphragm, maintains the amount of fuel and air needed. Must be issue as he keeps these in stock. Was torn halfway around diaphragm. We will see this weekend when back out on water.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    They do sometimes fail. Tracker valve absorbs SPIKES in the Air/Fuel pressures (takes a real beating in there).